Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex green app pending. Refered by Dw

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex green app pending. Refered by Dw

So I just recently referred the dw and my mother for the gold card. Total 55k MR's.

I referred through my gold card wich I canceled a week ago.

Today it showed pre approval for the green card with a nice sign up bonus.

So I got referred by my dw for the green card obviously to take advantage of the extra MR's. 

Won't use card after hit spend.  Since she now has the gold and I have other cards to match the green cards rewards. 

This is the first time I wasn't instantly approved with amex(besides denials before I had an amex)

Is this maybe overuse of referrals. 

If I was pre approved before I would have applied prior to canceling the gold card. 

The card seems decent but not seeing it as a keeper. 

8 REPLIES 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex green app pending. Refered by Dw

Did I read that correctly that you did two referrals and then closed the card you referred from?  Or did you wait until after the referral bonuses had been received?

In order to receive a Referral Bonus, you must satisfy these Referral Offer and Program Terms and your Card account must not be canceled or past due on the date the Referral Bonus would post to your account and when you have qualified to receive the Referral Bonus.

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What ever Op did or is doing, i think its showing a pattern Amex  doesnt like or will like. They've  been in the game awhile and can probably see when someone is playing referal game only to get MRs. Wont end well imo. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I waited until the referral bonus posted.
Closed my gold card
After I closed it I saw a pre approved green card.
I understand they may not like it but I'm taking the chance of getting a denial for the sub... I don't mind if I don't get it...
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you think they will do? Cancel all my cards? Claw bk my referred points. I doubt it i put a ton of spend through Amex, and the car hinted it was an approval. They said once ur approved u will see an email with the terms. I don't see anything worse than a denial on a card I only want the sub for. If they closed all my cards I'd be extremely surprised but just fine as there are other lenders. Plus I've had 7 or 8 sign up bonuses and 6 referrals already. So I'd say I got a lot from them already. Bbp is the only card I'd miss 😢
Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As long as you held the Gold card for a year before you closed it I doubt you have much to worry about.  Most RAT concerns with account referrals I'm aware of were tied to self-referrals or when the card opened via referral was closed within a year.  IMO worst case is you'd be looking at a SUB denial or clawback on this 1 specific card.

The referral program clearly states it supports referral to friends and family so P1/P2 coordination wouldn't be an inherent issue.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.
I was approved along with the 45k MR'S And my dw got the 30k.
Loving me some amex.
Me-55k in referral points in last week..45k sign up bonus
Dw-30k referral 60k sub
Mom 300 cash back bcp. No af first year
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average joe.. Am I playing the referral game? Or am I bringing BUISNESS to amex...I held the card my dw liked the card so I referred her..
I canceled my card(didn't show i was pre approved for the green until I canceled the gold) she referred me.
No we aren't "NEW" Amex customers but we are new cardholders.
To summarize I've canceled 2 cards(gold and Amazon biz) soon 3(green biz card)
I had both open over a year.
I have 4 biz cards open and now 2 personal cards open.
1 biz charge card and one personal charge card. Received sign up bonus' with every card and my dw has 4 cards all referred by me... she has now referred me for 2 cards 1 revolver 1 credit card..
Membership rewards are great
Message 8 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Since you've indicated an approval, this thread is closed for additional messages. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.