Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex limit reached?

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex limit reached?

My combined Amex limits add up right now to $90K.  I think that may be as high as I can go.  The last two CLIs I requested have been declined.  I know the 181-day and 91-day rules and all that.  Those weren't the reasons I was declined.

If I apply for another Amex revolver... if I'm at my limit, will they just deny me?  Or will they take credit from another account to create the new one?  Should I lower some of my limit to make room for a new account?

I am showing pre-approvals for some cards, which is encouraging.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex limit reached?

They will take credit from another if they can't approve you for more credit.  most people have a 5 revolver limit granted they say it isn't a hard rule; probably if you are a high earner and spender I suppose exception are made (not in my case though as applied for 6 revolvers and it was a no) or you slip through the cracks some other way or possibly alot of 1kish cards.  Long story short yes if you are under 5 revolvers meaning 4 in your case they will take from another card if you have reached their credit ceiling.

edit: obviously when citi merged hilton as well people got 6 cards that way as well

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen, they don't deny, they shuffle/adjust. Are you thinking about applying soon?

I'm no where close to where you are, but I'm up for CLI in a couple days. I'm wondering what will happen. I know I can't get 3xCLI, probably not even 2x. I'm sure I will be testing the wisdom of posts here "when you hit #35k on a card, probably $5k CLIs are best bet". I haven't given much thought to denial, your post reminds me of the possibility. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Soon yeah... the 60K offer on the Delta Gold Business expires in less than a week and I intend to grab it if they'll give it to me.

I also plan to get the Hilton Business card, but I know I'll have to cancel one of my cards to get it.  I've had 5 revolvers before.  I never tried for 6, but from what I could tell the only people with 6 were the ones who got converted from Citi.

The personal version of each will go really soon since they're both about to turn a year old.

Message 4 of 13
Caught750
Valued Contributor

If you apply for both Delta and Hilton back to back you may be able to get 6. There are DPs of that being done, before the computer puts the whole picture together.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 5 of 13
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

I would apply and see what happens. You might have maxed your amex exposure but you still have 1 more slot to fill.

90% of people are capped at 5 revolvers (unless you already had 5 then got your citi hilton switched over) you are still well under that.

Message 6 of 13
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Chasin750

Can you share a DP for 5th and 6th revolver on the same day ?

Message 7 of 13
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Jago22 did exactly that
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck on both cards. Six revolvers is a lot... 😎

My Delta will be 1yr in January. I need to decide which new card to get. Then decide how/where to transfer available credit from the Delta before closing.

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Soon yeah... the 60K offer on the Delta Gold Business expires in less than a week and I intend to grab it if they'll give it to me.

I also plan to get the Hilton Business card, but I know I'll have to cancel one of my cards to get it.  I've had 5 revolvers before.  I never tried for 6, but from what I could tell the only people with 6 were the ones who got converted from Citi.

The personal version of each will go really soon since they're both about to turn a year old.

Message 9 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

On a somewhat unrelated note...

I was browsing looking for offers on the Delta Gold Business card, and while on the Delta website I saw a banner ad for a 60K miles offer.  So I clicked on it and it was the full array of SkyMiles cards, all with top offers... 60K on the gold, 70K on the plat and reserve... the gold business offer was for 60K for only $1K spend plus a $50 statement credit on first Delta purchase.  There was a countdown timer on the top corbner of the screen saying the offer was good for another 6 days and change.

So what did I do?  Did I pull the trigger on this spectacular offer?  No, I decided I would come back after asking about my situation on MyFico.  Surely it would still be there.  The timer said there was 6 days left.

So I came on here, posted this thread, got the answers I wanted (thanks!), and went back to the Delta site to see about submitting that application.  Nothing.  Like it never happened.

I can get a referral offer on reddit for 60K for $3K.  I guess I'll have to settle for that.  I'm still occasionally refreshing the Delta page, though, hoping for a miracle.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.