Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex order of application advice sought

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex order of application advice sought

I have a rather thin, but clean profile. My Experian score is 705. No derogatories, no lates. I only have 3 credit cards open. A 4-month-old Ducks Unlimited card with a $2k credit limit, a 20-month-old secured Discover card with a $200 limit, and a 2-year-old secured Opensky card with a $600 limit. 

No loans, my only prior history is 3 old closed credit cards with clean payment history. I have 12 inquiries, 4 of which were in the last 12 months. 

I have no prior history with Amex except for a brief period as an authorized user.

I would like the Amex Platinum, Gold, and Blue Cash Preferred cards. My question is, how should I go about strategically applying for these to make for the highest odds of approval? Which should I apply for first? And if I'm approved for one, should I apply for the 2nd and or 3rd on the same day? Should I wait for a period of time in between each one? Or do the order and timing not matter?

Thank you in advance for any advice and insight.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex order of application advice sought

You can apply for all of them back to back to back, if you want to, as long as your profile is strong enough. What did the prequalify tool come back with? It should give you an idea of which to start with. Co-branded should be easiest to get, then charge cards, then core revolvers 

Message 2 of 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a rather thin, but clean profile. My Experian score is 705. No derogatories, no lates. I only have 3 credit cards open. A 4-month-old Ducks Unlimited card with a $2k credit limit, a 20-month-old secured Discover card with a $200 limit, and a 2-year-old secured Opensky card with a $600 limit. 

No loans, my only prior history is 3 old closed credit cards with clean payment history. I have 12 inquiries, 4 of which were in the last 12 months. 

I have no prior history with Amex except for a brief period as an authorized user.

I would like the Amex Platinum, Gold, and Blue Cash Preferred cards. My question is, how should I go about strategically applying for these to make for the highest odds of approval? Which should I apply for first? And if I'm approved for one, should I apply for the 2nd and or 3rd on the same day? Should I wait for a period of time in between each one? Or do the order and timing not matter?

That is a lot of spend to get all the SUBs, is your planned spend going to cover it all? 

Message 3 of 9
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

I applied for three Amex cards since December 2019.  My EX score is about the same as yours.  My AAoA is 1 year.

*December 2019 - approved for Cash Magnet

*April 2020 - approved for Platinum

*May 2020 - approved for Amex Hilton Honors

The first card was a hard EX pull.  The next two were SP approvals.  Also, until the end of this month, Amex is extending the time to satisfy the SUB requirements by three months.  Thus, if you get approved this month, you have 6 months.  My spend has gone down, so it's a nice extension for me, $5,000 spend in 6 months rather than the normal 3 months for the Platinum.  I went this route because I knew after my first card, the others would most likely have been SP approvals.  Of the three cards you want, I'm not sure which one is the easiest to get.

Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Check for preapprovals on the AMEX site then come back to this thread to report the results. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, for preapprovals it only gives me the Delta skymiles card, which I don't want, but that's the exact card it gave to my friend as a preapproval, and then he immediately applied for the Platinum and was approved, so the preapprovals don't seem to be a very accurate representation of the limitations of what one will actually be approved for, so I'm not going to limit myself to what it shows me there.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a lot of spend to get all the SUBs, is your planned spend going to cover it all? 

Yes, no issues in that regard.

Message 7 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The prequalify tool is fairly accurate, but it doesn't show more than 3 cards and those 3 will be the ones they're marketing to you. You won't know if you'll be approved for something unless you app for it. You can always try the prequalify tool later. It will change cards if you're pre-qualified for others.

Message 8 of 9
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I checked Wallet Flo and what they said is you can only apply to 1 AMEX credit card within 5 days.

With the Platinum and Gold that is not going to be an issue since they are charge cards.

The Platinum has a special 125,000 offer out using the AMEX pre-qualify tool. I'd recommend going that first because you may not be able to get it to pop up once you've submitted an app for another one. The monster offer is geared toward pulling in new business with AMEX. Once they have your swipe fee business you aren't nearly as worthy in their eyes for one of those bonuses.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.