Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex preapproval

tag
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex preapproval

Oh I'm just picking your brain because it seems like there's no rhyme or reason or rhythm to anything these companies do especially considering the things I read on here and others did get approved for things with a lot worse scores and credit than I have. No offense intended of course. I'm just happy to be able to soak up people's opinions as to try and figure out why my situation seems so dreary, thank you for replying by the waySmiley Happy

Capital one 500, Discover 11.1k. UMB Signature visa 18.5k, DW UMB card Auth user 16K. Citi Costco anywhere 26.6k, Amazon Prime 22.3K
BH/Comenity Photo 10k Lowes advantage 35k
AAOA 2y4m, oldest 5 years. 0 collections. 125k income, Util 1% inq 1/12. 1/24. 30/60/90 = 0, No derog's, clean file. Rebuilding started 4 years ago.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 795
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
elixerin
Established Contributor

course, if you're looking for an AMEX i would personally feel pleased to be in a position to do so in your shoes, score is just a number.. credit is a tool. Grab the tools that most benefit you, in the card game a 720 score is similar to a 800 as far as approvals go IMO

what about your sitch is dreary again? sorry seemed to miss that reference 

Message 12 of 18
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

@elixerin wrote:

course, if you're looking for an AMEX i would personally feel pleased to be in a position to do so in your shoes, score is just a number.. credit is a tool. Grab the tools that most benefit you, in the card game a 720 score is similar to a 800 as far as approvals go IMO

what about your sitch is dreary again? sorry seemed to miss that reference 

Just low credit lines on two starter cards, and discover is stingy as well.  Although I don't have anything badd to say about discover I just seem to think I deserve a little bit more of a credit line then $2K.  Especially considering my credit. Because it befuddles me. I only have 1 inquiry in last 12 months. No collections,  Absolutely nothing bad no bad marks, no late pays ever, hmm let's see....no bk ever, I have 3 cards, capital one (500). Credit one 450 and my discover is at 2100, started out at 1k.  I do like the love button though and it is worked a few times.  But one would think they would be eager to give me a higher credit line but maybe my reasoning is just messed up I don't know I wish somebody could explain it to me, 

Feel free to ask me anything I haven't included because I would love any input

Edit, forgot to include I always PIF, on all 3 accounts

Capital one 500, Discover 11.1k. UMB Signature visa 18.5k, DW UMB card Auth user 16K. Citi Costco anywhere 26.6k, Amazon Prime 22.3K
AAOA 2y4m, oldest 5 years. 0 collections. 125k income, Util 1% inq 1/12. 1/24. 30/60/90 = 0, No derog's, clean file. Rebuilding started 4 years ago.

Message 13 of 18
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Are you looking for a charge card with amex or were you assuming the green card is the way in for someone with a short history? 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 14 of 18
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

Are you looking for a charge card with amex or were you assuming the green card is the way in for someone with a short history? 

It's very tempting, I was really just testing the waters and came out surprised.  I've been holding out to actually apply for my bank's credit card ( UMB).  My fiance got 1 for 16K through them, I'm just playing the waiting game to let things get as good as they can on my report before I take the dive and try my luck.

Edit: I want the next card I get to be my dream card and also my last. 

Message 15 of 18
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I'd say that you're good to go, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get approved, my son got approved for his first Amex last week he an AU on 3-4 of my cards (less than a year old) and has a co signed car loan that started in December. He makes around 20k a year for now and he got a 2k SL. He didn't get a solid apr either he was pre qualified just like you. 

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 5 AMEX cards.  My first card was the Blue Cash Preferred got April 2019.  $1k cl...that's it but I have a BK13 on my credit that drops off Nov 2020.   Scores were around 650 when I got that card.  Fastfoward Feb 2020 finally got the "Pre Approved" when I checked for offers.  1st card I applied cold turkey didn't know about the Pre Approval site but would check every month after I found out about it.   So last month finally got the "Pre Approved" message for EVERY CARD from charge cards to credit cards.  Scores were only 680Ex......pulled the trigger on the Green & Gold and the Everyday Blue.  Got all three in 1 night.  2 weeks later got the "Pre Approved" thing again (after the 3 cards it went back to "Looking to Expand").  So I pulled the trigger on the Plat card.....scores still 680.  ALL SOFT PULLS!  BAM!   Why did I get all 3 charge cards?   Because I'm greedy!  lol  Don't judge.  lol     Good luck with your new card

Message 17 of 18
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 5 AMEX cards.  My first card was the Blue Cash Preferred got April 2019.  $1k cl...that's it but I have a BK13 on my credit that drops off Nov 2020.   Scores were around 650 when I got that card.  Fastfoward Feb 2020 finally got the "Pre Approved" when I checked for offers.  1st card I applied cold turkey didn't know about the Pre Approval site but would check every month after I found out about it.   So last month finally got the "Pre Approved" message for EVERY CARD from charge cards to credit cards.  Scores were only 680Ex......pulled the trigger on the Green & Gold and the Everyday Blue.  Got all three in 1 night.  2 weeks later got the "Pre Approved" thing again (after the 3 cards it went back to "Looking to Expand").  So I pulled the trigger on the Plat card.....scores still 680.  ALL SOFT PULLS!  BAM!   Why did I get all 3 charge cards?   Because I'm greedy!  lol  Don't judge.  lol     Good luck with your new card

Thanks to both of you for replying, I wish I had the confidence you guys had LOL.  One thing's for sure there is a vast amount of knowledge on these boards I'm sure glad I found this place, All of you folks rock!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.