Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex requesting Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Amex requesting Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So you havent had income in three years?  Retired?  Rental income, anything?  They need to know you have the ability to repay and other systems they have access to probably queued them off of the amount of income you put in didn't match what they might have reasonable access to and that is probaby why they are asing for POI/4506-t

Americans living overseas ("expatriates") often don't owe any U.S. income taxes because they worked outside the United States for most of the year.  When I was an expat, living in the UK but traveling literally all the time, there were several years in which I didn't pay any income taxes at all, because I didn't work in any country for long enough to be taxed!

However, expats do need to file taxes in each country where they work, even if they don't owe any taxes. So OP would have a tax return on file, showing no taxes owed. The tax laws and regulations for expats are so complex, most people use a professional international tax preparation firm like Price Waterhouse Coopers to ensure compliance.

The expat lifestyle isn't for everyone but it sure saves money on income taxes! It does make applying for credit cards difficult, however, because it can be hard to prove income...

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No i applied while i was at home

Message 12 of 13
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So you havent had income in three years?  Retired?  Rental income, anything?  They need to know you have the ability to repay and other systems they have access to probably queued them off of the amount of income you put in didn't match what they might have reasonable access to and that is probaby why they are asing for POI/4506-t

Americans living overseas ("expatriates") often don't owe any U.S. income taxes because they worked outside the United States for most of the year.  When I was an expat, living in the UK but traveling literally all the time, there were several years in which I didn't pay any income taxes at all, because I didn't work in any country for long enough to be taxed!

However, expats do need to file taxes in each country where they work, even if they don't owe any taxes. So OP would have a tax return on file, showing no taxes owed. The tax laws and regulations for expats are so complex, most people use a professional international tax preparation firm like Price Waterhouse Coopers to ensure compliance.

The expat lifestyle isn't for everyone but it sure saves money on income taxes! It does make applying for credit cards difficult, however, because it can be hard to prove income...

I don't think that's right. Americans living abroad get a foreign tax credit up to the first $105,000 US dollars of income. Any dollar above that amount is taxable by both the foreign government, and the US government, even if earned entirely out of the US.

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.