Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex two questions for a friend

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Amex two questions for a friend

No, really, it *is* for a friend! Smiley Very Happy

When she logged in to view her Amex account, she got a pop-up (or something) about the Platinum card; she followed its link and the first thing she saw was "[name], you are pre-approved!" in big letters, followed immediately by "Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds." It went on with an 'apply' button, and requested income, non-taxable income, and assets.

I'm not sure which card(s) she has, Gold for sure, which she's had since the '80s, but I don't recall what else.

How solid is this "pre-approved" offer? Would it involve a HP?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex two questions for a friend

Fairly solid, typically no HP (however, regardless of how unlikely, it's always a possibility)

Message 2 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Amex preapprovals are pretty solid . And since she is an existing customer it "should" be a SP.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Thanks. I told her that I was pretty sure it's a soft pull, but I couldn't carve that in stone. Also, she takes rejection badly, which is why we need to know ahead of time if this "pre-approval" really is.

I know she can just call Amex and ask, but with this forum and its plethora of knowledgeable members available, I figured I'd ask here! Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Thanks. I told her that I was pretty sure it's a soft pull, but I couldn't carve that in stone. Also, she takes rejection badly, which is why we need to know ahead of time if this "pre-approval" really is.

I know she can just call Amex and ask, but with this forum and its plethora of knowledgeable members available, I figured I'd ask here! Smiley Happy

Amex isn't going to tell her ahead of time whether she'll get rejected or not.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 14
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

If she's concerned about the <unlikely> chance of a HP, tell her to lock her credit files before she responds. She can always unlock them later. 

Message 6 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Yeah, we're aware of that! Smiley Happy That's why we want to know if this so-called "pre-approved" offer actually is.

You see, back in the day, pre-approved REALLY meant that. It meant all you had to do was sign the acceptance form they'd sent you (in the mail, as there was no Internet), mail it back, and receive your card. It was totally, distinctly separate from APPLYING for a card, which you knew would involve a credit check.

In today's world, "pre-approved" frequently means just "pre-selected" and actually involves a hard pull. I liked the old way a lot better!

Message 7 of 14
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Yeah, we're aware of that! Smiley Happy That's why we want to know if this so-called "pre-approved" offer actually is.

You see, back in the day, pre-approved REALLY meant that. It meant all you had to do was sign the acceptance form they'd sent you (in the mail, as there was no Internet), mail it back, and receive your card. It was totally, distinctly separate from APPLYING for a card, which you knew would involve a credit check.

In today's world, "pre-approved" frequently means just "pre-selected" and actually involves a hard pull. I liked the old way a lot better!

I liked your use of "pre-selected" :-) 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 8 of 14
TryingtoBeLifeGoals
Established Member

Did she apply? What was the result? 

Message 9 of 14
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Before doing anything she should decide whether or not she really wants the Platinum card with it's hefty annual fee. 

Will she use the perks associated with it to warrant paying such a high annual fee.   I have received the same "pop ups" and have the Gold, and several other Amex cards (4 in total) ... but have opted not to apply for the Platinum.... it just doesn't make sense for me.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.