Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex website pre-qualify vs. Nerdwallet Amex pre-qualify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex website pre-qualify vs. Nerdwallet Amex pre-qualify

When I try the Amex website it says there are no cards I'm pre-qualified for. Yet when I use the one on Nerdwallet it says I'm pre-qualified for several like Blue Cash Preferred and Premier Rewards Gold.

Any idea why the difference? Does the Nerdwallet page just throw a bunch of stuff at you that you're not actually pre-qualified for?

My Fico is in the high 700's and I have no delinquencies/lates/etc. on my report so I can't imagine Amex wouldn't offer me *anything*. Maybe I opted out of pre-screened offers at some point and forgot, but you'd think the two sites would say the same thing if they're both checking Amex's database of pre-qualifications...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex website pre-qualify vs. Nerdwallet Amex pre-qualify

The same thing for me a few days later I showed up on Amex.
Message 2 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I would trust the AMEX site vs the other. Even still, it's not a guarantee.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

If your scores are that high then I would not worry about it.  If there is a card there that you want then go ahead and app, I'm sure you would get it.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 4 of 7
juniornj23
Established Contributor

Always is better to be pre approval form the original cresitor web than a 3r party web
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, would much rather have the approval from Amex's website than Nerdwallet.

I'm just curious why the difference? If Nerdwallet is just making it up to sell me something I wouldn't bother. But out of curiosity I input a made-up name and it said it couldn't find any offers, so clearly it's not just spitting them out for anyone who visits.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: AMEX approved me for a 10k BCP card. Yay! I'm glad to see NerdWallet's pre-approval screen appears to be accurate; especially since the AMEX website wasn't finding anything for me!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.