Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Amount of credit extended is sufficient” CLI counter offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

“Amount of credit extended is sufficient” CLI counter offer

So on my 11 year old Bank of America card I asked for my first non auto increase from 3.5k and shot for the moon with 20k. They gave me $9,500, I’m happy but I’m curious how they figure this. I recently got a new cash rewards card through them for 14k. So my total credit line with BOA is now 23.5k.

My question is if they deemed this credit total as “sufficient” what would change their mind in the future for my next increase? Do they just want to up me slow or would they need to see more income? I feel like if I hit the love button next time it pops up they would still say what you have is sufficient? 

What does it all mean? 😂

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: “Amount of credit extended is sufficient” CLI counter offer

From what I've seen with BofA they like to bring you slowly along with regards to granting additional credit. Of course with BofA the factors they use include scores, income, and any deposits with them through their checking/savings and ML/ME holdings for starters. Normally what they do instead of telling you they've extended sufficient income is to reallocate limits to serve your request but keep the total limits the same. For instance let's say you requested a CLI on your Cash Rewards to $20k. They grant it but you notice they reduced the limit on your recent card to $3.5k. So that's something to keep an eye on on whether they're giving you the run around or actually gave you a CLI.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luckily they just bought moved me to 9.5k but didn’t mess with my other 14k

Message 3 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome and Congrats on your $6K CLI, which really is a decent size.

It could be related to their internal algorithm. Maybe $23.5K is the maximum amount you qualify for at this moment in time based on other variables in your credit profile. The good news is thdt you can ask for another CLI in 6 months.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Actually Op could get another increase in 3 should they choose if the request link pops up again. The thing with Boa, you'll keep getting increases if you have sufficient income. Once the income becomes an issue, if you dont have any assets or banking relationship, it will become much more difficult or near impossible to get more.
Message 5 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks @ajc for the correction. I had AmX on my mind 🤣

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.