Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed AF about Amex and their inconsistent "offers."

tag
jwa77
Contributor

Annoyed AF about Amex and their inconsistent "offers."

Okay please excuse the rant but I'm annoyed and preturbed after trying to get SPECIFIC answers from Amex regarding offers and I just go round and round with no actual answers.  I know a lot of you on here have more epxerience and I'm requesting some sharing of that knowledge...don't flame me Smiley Happy

There are offers out there (and have been) for Amex gold @ 50k and Amex Plat @ 75k.  I've not been able to get the 75 and 100 offers to come up at all, but the first two are still good enough.  I got these offers through the cardmatch tool but only by using my first initial and last name instead of using my first name and last name together.  (I know this means I'm probably not targeted by this offer).  I have actually GOTTEN this offer before in the mail last summer but I would just throw them away. I had no interest in Amex's regular charge cards because the whole idea of having to pay them off every month did't interest me. I finally now know (Thanks to all of you) that these cards are actually quite good..

When I am logged into the Amex site, it says I'm already pre-approved by for the Gold.  (and Platinum).  I KNOW that this means I simply request one and they use the soft-pull info to get the account up and going and that they will honor any public offer for points etc with these accounts.

my problem is this -- if I click that offer link ..it appears to want to run it as a HARD-pull app.  I also have this same problem if I click a referral link .  Again, I'm making sure that I'm logged into the Amex site when trying to interact with either of these offers--but I'm not happy with the possiblity that it would pull it as a hard application when I know I'm already pre-approved for these card.

I've already tried the following work arounds

1) Calling and asking if I just take advantage of my pre-approval (with the public offer)--if they will match the other offer.  - I either get "probably not," or "I don't know," or "most likely not"

2) Calling and asking if I go ahead with the application as presented if it will hard or soft pull my credit -- "Most likely," "I can't tell you that," "it's a possibility.."  (c'mon really??)

What're people's experiences with this?

1) Do all referals or otherwise outside offers trigger HARD pulls -- even if they are done through a logged-in Amex website?

2) Will Amex honor offers if you don't click the links if you can provide some sort of evidence that you rec'd the offer?

I have a Corporate card with them (guaranteed by my company so it does nothing with my credit) and I have the Bonvoy Brilliant that I opened in February, have met the SUB, and now only use for Marriott stays and nothing else. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annoyed AF about Amex and their inconsistent "offers."

There's always the possibility of a hard pull. Even though Amex is known to SP existing customers, there is no guarantee. It's best to expect a HP, and be happy if it's just a SP
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it says "expand your membership" = HP

if it says "you're pre-approved" = SP 99.9999% of the time

If you have a higher SUB option through referral or incognito open that first and then hit apply.  Then open another tab in the same window and login to your account.  Refresh the other tab asking for all of your info and it should go to a 3-4 box option and have the language above.

Decide from there.

Message 3 of 13
jbestman007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe that is entirely accurate. The "expand your membership" message did not translate to a HP for me. It just means you have not been preapproved. Either way, it was still a SP. 

Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Days ago I used a "professional blogger" link (not a refer-a-friend "buddy link") to get 75k on Delta Platinum that wasn't showing for me on the Amex site. "Pre-approval" on the Amex site and a SP approval.

As far as getting Amex to honor an offer other than the one you applied through...it used to be very uncommon. Now it seems to be happening a bit more often, but I certainly wouldn't assume they'll honor it. Definitely keep proof you received the offer, but my advice is to go for the best offer you can get and just accept possible HPs as part of the process.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 13
jwa77
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a higher SUB option through referral or incognito open that first and then hit apply.  Then open another tab in the same window and login to your account.  Refresh the other tab asking for all of your info and it should go to a 3-4 box option and have the language above.

Decide from there.

hey thanks for that tip! however, i think b/c my first name on the offer is just my first initial and not my full name, it thinks i'm a differnet person so it refereshes to still be that full app.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbestman007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe that is entirely accurate. The "expand your membership" message did not translate to a HP for me. It just means you have not been preapproved. Either way, it was still a SP. 

+1

I just app’ed yesterday for the ED card and it showed “Expand Your Membership”.  I entered the income information and scrolled to the bottom.  The print below submit states that they use you existing account information for the application.  I’m not saying that they wouldn’t ever do a HP, but for that app yesterday, they did not.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jwa77 wrote:

hey thanks for that tip! however, i think b/c my first name on the offer is just my first initial and not my full name, it thinks i'm a differnet person so it refereshes to still be that full app.

Are you using your PERSONAL login or your CORPORATE login?

Since you have 2 logins you have to use incognito mode to get the correct info to populate.

Message 8 of 13
jwa77
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jwa77 wrote:

Are you using your PERSONAL login or your CORPORATE login?

Since you have 2 logins you have to use incognito mode to get the correct info to populate.

My personal and coprorate logins are the same -- both cards show up when i log in.  I've never had separate logins for that.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as the system can match your info on the app to the existing account it shouldn't be an issue to be a SP.  I just do it the way I do because it works for me.  I don't have a corporate card to deal with though.

My philosophy is always go for the card you want most and expect a HP and it it's a SP then all the more icing on the cake.  

If you can use all of the benefits of a particular card then go ahead and pull the trigger.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.