Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Capital One CLI denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual Capital One CLI denied

Every year once in a while, I tried to apply for Capital One CLI. After 1 year plus and 2  years plus later, 2 out of 3 Capital One cards were approved for CLI (2 weeks ago). Both QuickSilver cards were approved. However, the third card the Venture card(> 11 years account) was denied again yesterday. It says that they will review it which translated to "You are denied". It is hard for me to get any CLI with Capital One nowadays. So every year is pretty much the same result. lol . The last time it takes longer than 2 years for any CLI. My Capital One accounts are pretty much dead. I still believe that SCRA are causing the stagnant from normal CLI. I called Capital One today and tried to ask for manual review on my CLI request. The rep told me to try again in 6 months. She told me since there is no indication of manual review option for CLI, she cannot do anything. My only card that is not enrolled with SCRA is Amex so I don't have problem with BCP (DG and ED were approved last week). For some reason Citibank is still giving me a bigger CLI than Capital although it also falls under the same situation like Capital One, Barclay...etc.. I bet after 20 years from now, the max CLI from Capital would be $10,000. lol

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Annual Capital One CLI denied

You can try a CLI request daily with Cap1 if you like provided you didnt get an increase on that card within the last 6 months.  Id try a CLI request every month right after your statement cuts

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, how much usage are you running through each Capital One card every month? What are the CLs on each? Since you have 2 QS CCs, have you entertained the idea of combining those at least?

Were the 2 QS CCs approved originally as QS? Or, lowered-tiered products such as QS1 or Platinum?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

You can try a CLI request daily with Cap1 if you like provided you didnt get an increase on that card within the last 6 months.  Id try a CLI request every month right after your statement cuts

What if they didn't give a CLI but did give an upgrade -- say from Platinum to QS -- must you still wait 6 mos to request CLI?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I rememered correctly (that was while ago), if they call you to upgrade your cards you can ask them for CLI and sometimes you might get a SP. However, ask them first if it is not SP don't put the request. The problem with Capital One lately is everything is automation and there is no room for manual review unless the computer system allows you to have that option. If the manual review option is not available then you cannot even ask them to review your account. 

For example today, after I received the official denied letter through electronic notification (the annual deny letter) I called Capital One again. This is the main highlighted message on the denied letter.

"Your average monthly payment has been too low" ----> You must be kidding me

Jun 1-20, Payment $2286 over $18.00 minimum payment

May 1-31, Payment $338 over $19.00 minimum payment

Apr 1-30, Payment $940 over $24.00 minimum payment

Mar 1-31, Payment $340 over $18 minimum payment

Feb 1-28, Payment 392 over $27 minimum payment

I told the rep about the message on that letter which doesn't making any sense and mathematically impossible. I told her that she might have to put a ticket asking a developer to correct the part of the program in the system. Obviously the system has an error when it comes to that calculation. She went through my account and like yesterday call, she told me she couldn't find any option to open a ticket regarding my issue since it doesn't fall into any category for investigation such as incorrect credit bureau information, fraud, payment,.. etc.. I told her it is supposed to be under payment and/or Credit limit increased. However, she told me the system wouldn't let her choose any of that category.. meaning these options are probably greyed out. It has to be something like, pull down menu with white out text, inactive button, radio button, checkbox button.. etc. So the system doesn't triggered any option for her client-side program to do anything so she cannot help me.. 

I am having this same problem since  2016 until now. In fact I never get any auto CLI from Capital unless it was the pre-SCRA period of time.

2018 CLI denied --> Jun 18th, Mar 4th, Jan 3

2017 CLI denied --> May 2nd, Apr 29th

2016 one denied but I cannot remembered the date

2015 one small cli I think or maybe not, could be in 2014.. It has been a while.

I am paying more than the minimum just like in 2018 but still getting the same treatment. I told her I wanted to combine my card but since it is a Venture card I cannot combine it with either one of my Quicksilver. Both Quicksilvers are old card 15/16 years. I could combined them but they would hurt my account age average. I guess I will just leave them alone and put them in my storage somewhere.. out of sight, out of mind. I told the rep, I am using Amex mostly nowadays because the card provides me a lot of benefits. I wish she put a note on that tibit on my account.

Message 5 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@benreily

There is someting you have to know about Cap1.  CSRs have almost no power to ovrride their computers. For this reason, you can not recon a credit card app or a CLI request. Lvl1 CSRs and the supervisors dont even have access to your credit report. They can tweek a few things around the edges but basically no one overrides a "no" from their computer

In answer to your question, CC upgrades do not have any bearing on CLI requests.  Only the 6 month timer will prevent you from requesting one.  Getting approved however is a separate matter

The reason you arent getting any CLIs is that the card you are trying to get it on was probably a "rebuilder" card when it was opened.  I have 2 of those accounts, both over 12 years old and I get the same denial as you.  The only way around this is to merge the Venture with one of your other cards and then app for a new Venture

Your only appeal is through the EO.  Maybe someone can toss you the email address.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For what it's worth, the Capital One of today is quite different from the Capital One of a year or two ago.  There was a time when I could count on at least a modest CLI on each Capital One card every six months, almost guaranteed (even with minimal usage).  Those days are over.

If it were me, I would check monthly; I've been denied before with some nonsensical reason then just a month later try again and get an obligatory $1k increase.

You can get the EO contact email with a quick google search (we can't put it here) but honestly it's almost certainly a waste of time - it's been ages since we've seen the EO get involved with a CLI issue and even then they only helped because there was a technical issue with the AR/softpull, which it doesn't sound like is the issue here.

In time if you're still using the card you're likely to get a 'bump', although you might also decide that they aren't worth the hassle.

Good luck whatever you decide!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
OP, how much usage are you running through each Capital One card every month? What are the CLs on each? Since you have 2 QS CCs, have you entertained the idea of combining those at least?

Were the 2 QS CCs approved originally as QS? Or, lowered-tiered products such as QS1 or Platinum?

Ventured Card CL: $5400, Balance Monthly $0-$2000 (2016/2017). For few months Balance: ~$3500-$5000, after reported but pay off big payment each month (2018).

Mostly 2016/2017, When asked for CLI: Rejected

For example,

1st month, a balance of $1000 carried over from before. Spent $700 so total is $1700. Paid $900, $1700-$900. $800+interest carried over to the next month.

2nd month, a balance of $800 carried over from before. Spent $300, so total is $1100. Paid $500, $1100-$500. $600+ interest carried over to the next month

On 2018, I decided to leave a big balance like ~$5000 to tell them I need more credit so please give me CLI if they started to notice that I have a big balance. Since then, I have been paying off since Feb, 2018 with smaller spending this time not like 2016/2017. I mostly used my Amex and still is.

However, I still received the rejection of your average monthly payment has been too low

I have a low APR (could be the reason why)

Before CLI early this month, QS: 6000 and 6450

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Anonymous

There is someting you have to know about Cap1.  CSRs have almost no power to ovrride their computers. For this reason, you can not recon a credit card app or a CLI request. Lvl1 CSRs and the supervisors dont even have access to your credit report. They can tweek a few things around the edges but basically no one overrides a "no" from their computer

In answer to your question, CC upgrades do not have any bearing on CLI requests.  Only the 6 month timer will prevent you from requesting one.  Getting approved however is a separate matter

The reason you arent getting any CLIs is that the card you are trying to get it on was probably a "rebuilder" card when it was opened.  I have 2 of those accounts, both over 12 years old and I get the same denial as you.  The only way around this is to merge the Venture with one of your other cards and then app for a new Venture

Your only appeal is through the EO.  Maybe someone can toss you the email address.

Hi, thank you for the reply. Actually, before I applied for SCRA my account was good. I was getting Auto CLI and calls for credit card special offers or other company offers. Nowadays, it was totally silent. No auto cli, no call.. nothing. I guess in some way the rebuilder card maybe contribute part of the system "decision" . However, there is a big major treatment of pre-SCRA and post-SCRA toward my account. 

Update: Actually neither of cards are rebuilder cards. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi UncleB,

Thank you for the reply. I do noticed that and I also heard story that Cap1 is not what it used to be. I heard they shut down several financial departments (making losses). Probably that is the reason why they are more reserve nowadays and less generous on providing credits. I do used it regularly on 2016/2017 through large purchases and larger payments but to no avail. So on 2018, I tried to test the automatic system by leaving a big balance and pay off big payment each month, hundreds or thousand over $18-$27 minimum payment. The system still doesn't register each payment as more than minimum payment. lol I am giving up on Capital One from now on. I will just use Amex and Citi.

Right here:

Your average monthly payment has been too low" ----> You must be kidding me

Jun 1-20, Payment $2286 over $18.00 minimum payment

May 1-31, Payment $338 over $19.00 minimum payment

Apr 1-30, Payment $940 over $24.00 minimum payment

Mar 1-31, Payment $340 over $18 minimum payment

Feb 1-28, Payment 392 over $27 minimum payment

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.