Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Chase 5/24 Question

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Another Chase 5/24 Question

I have been searching and reading the forum threads about the Chase 5/24 rule.  I know this has been asked and answered a bizillion times, however, I am still confused. 

Several threads state that any credit card or charge card is considered in the 5/24 rule. Other threads state that only CCs in the MC, Visa, Amex or Disco networks count. 

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Another Chase 5/24 Question

Looks like to be approved for any Chase card subject to 5/24, you cannot have opened five or more personal credit cards across all banks in the last 24 months. This means you actually need to be under 5/24 in order to be approved. The 5/24 rule only applies to getting approved for cards issued by Chase, but your 5/24 “count” includes your cards from all banks. Even MC/Visa Store Cards. HP and denials dont count.

But these cards dont count from Chase:

AARP Credit Card From Chase
Aer Lingus Visa Signature Credit Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
British Airways Visa Signature Card
Disney Premier Visa Card
Disney Visa Card
The Hyatt Credit Card
Iberia Visa Signature Credit Card
IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card
Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card

Just did a quick research just to see. I'm Never/24.........

Many other angles to it. Gave up. Too confusing. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! But the Chase Pros will fill us in.

Message 2 of 19
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Looks like to be approved for any Chase card subject to 5/24, you cannot have opened five or more personal credit cards across all banks in the last 24 months. This means you actually need to be under 5/24 in order to be approved. The 5/24 rule only applies to getting approved for cards issued by Chase, but your 5/24 “count” includes your cards from all banks. Even MC/Visa Store Cards. HP and denials dont count.

But these cards dont count from Chase:

AARP Credit Card From Chase
Aer Lingus Visa Signature Credit Card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
British Airways Visa Signature Card
Disney Premier Visa Card
Disney Visa Card
The Hyatt Credit Card
Iberia Visa Signature Credit Card
IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card
Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card

Just did a quick research just to see. I'm Never/24.........

Many other angles to it. Gave up. Too confusing. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! But the Chase Pros will fill us in.

I get that... so what is a "bank card"?

Here is my breakdown: 

My "Bank Cards"

Capital One opened Oct 16 and 25 months old next month

Bank of America

Discover

Citi Bank

American Express

My "Store Cards"

Synchrony Care Care

Synchrony Conoco

Synchrony Amazon

Comenity Adorama

Am I counting and categorizing these correctly?

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 wrote: 

Am I counting and categorizing these correctly?

Looks right to me. 

Message 4 of 19
SBR249
Established Contributor

Edit: It seems that store cards that cannot be used elsewhere do not count according to DoC. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any credit line that reports as revolving credit and is visible on your credit reports count towards 5/24.  This includes lines of credit.  When DoC refers to cards that can only be used at one store he is referring to a very limited number of store cards that do not report.  The vast majority of store cards like Lowes, Target, etc, etc, absolutely count. 

Message 6 of 19
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any credit line that reports as revolving credit and is visible on your credit reports count towards 5/24.  This includes lines of credit.  When DoC refers to cards that can only be used at one store he is referring to a very limited number of store cards that do not report.  The vast majority of store cards like Lowes, Target, etc, etc, absolutely count. 

See what was my impression of the 5/24 as well. But DoC seems pretty unequivocal that only store cards that can be used elsewhere (ie has MC/Visa/AmEx/Disco branding) is counted. They do refer to some DPs from their readers that they were X/24 over the limit with a few store cards and were approved but there are so few that it's hard to know whether they are flukes or general policy. 

Message 7 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Cards like the Target card do count. I've been denied because my Kohl's and Target counted.

Message 8 of 19
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I don't feel so bad about my confusion. 

Mr. Chase CEO, if you happen to read this, why don't you just publish the details of your 5/24 rule and save your bank and the public the time, effort and headaches wasted on all this.

Sincerely,

Medic981

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the Chase rule - once you think you understand - some caveat opens up. So here is my question - 

I know the Chase cards above do not have a 5/24 restriction. But to be clear - Chase does or does not count them when you apply for a 5/24 product? So if I am 6/24 - I know I cant get a 5/24 card - but I can get the Chase Amazon card etc. So if I do that - am I now 7/24 when it comes to a 5/24 product ? 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.