Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any USB experts out there?

tag
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Any USB experts out there?

Hi,

Looking for data points, before I become the data point I want to see. Thanks for any insight.

Current Exposure to USB, pay off 100% monthly never carry a balance, all new and less than 3yr except cash+ from 2016.

Cash+ 2k

Cash+ (2) 14k

Altitude GO 14k

Altitude Reserve 14k

Recently declined for the new Connect card. Sorry, don't have the reason codes from the letter, but the phone supervisor said I had too many cards with USB. I assume she means exposure not actual cards. My first ever decline from USB.

I know I cannot move limits between cards.

I know USB is inquiry senstive. I get around that by outsized deposits and investment activity.

Question--

#1 If I close all cards except AR, can I start working up a limit on the AR to meet or preferably exceed my net exposure currently?  I really have suddenly got tired of reward chasing/card managment and I'm going to just settle on this and the CITI Costco card.

#2 What is a resonable limit to target as a percentage of income (e.g. 50% of 100k a yr) considering they will be the majority of my unsecured credit.

#3 Is there a known hard limit for the AR? Similar to BofA 99k limit?

#4 Can I call underwriting and request a manual CL adjustment inside the 6mo since my AR got a limit increase less than 6mo ago? 

#5 Should I close the cards first then call underwriting? Or do it all at once?

Thanks!

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

9 REPLIES 9
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any USB experts out there?

To be transparent I do not have any USB cards so I am only offering this. In my opinion you just answered your own questions? You have enough cards with them they don't feel you need anymore. I have read that some have been successful in either closing a card to free up space or to reallocate credit from one to the new one but from what I understand it's not nearly as easy as it is with Chase for example. So yea go for it see what the possibilities are. Would add the the data points.

Message 2 of 10
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Well, here goes!!! I just called USB and canceled my USB GO and Cash+ (1&2).  There goes 30k in limits, hopefully, I can get them back in October when my 6mo window opens for a CLI on the AR. I'll call up instead of using the online request and put in a manual request.  If they decline me, I'm pulling everything and going to BofA, perhaps WF.  I might go where I already have accounts which are BECU, or First Tech.

Message 3 of 10
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@IntegerIntrovert wrote:

Well, here goes!!! I just called USB and canceled my USB GO and Cash+ (1&2).  There goes 30k in limits, hopefully, I can get them back in October when my 6mo window opens for a CLI on the AR. I'll call up instead of using the online request and put in a manual request.  If they decline me, I'm pulling everything and going to BofA, perhaps WF.  I might go where I already have accounts which are BECU, or First Tech.

We are with BECU and they keep offering us 0% balance transfers (we have no credit card balances, lol) and now they offer the cashback card with a $300 sign-up bonus if you don't have it yet. That is $300 we never got :-(. But their service is superb that is why we are still banking with them even though we are in Montana now. The few times we had less than perfect service they always made it right which is all I ask for. We all make mistakes but if you own up to them I can only applaud that. The only negative I guess is that CLI's are HP with them.

Message 4 of 10
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Well, I was impatient and called Underwriting and requested 30k in AR CLI to replace the lost CL's from the closed cards. They declined it.  I pulled all assets today. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IntegerIntrovert wrote:

Well, I was impatient and called Underwriting and requested 30k in AR CLI to replace the lost CL's from the closed cards. They declined it.  I pulled all assets today. 

That will show them.

Message 6 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@IntegerIntrovert wrote:

I think for anyone who puts too much value on how much money they have with a particular lender, earnings report should be mandatory reading. 

It helps to put money vs. "money" in perspective. 

I hope another lender bends their internal polices for you but - probably not.  

Message 7 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

So you closed an excellent card like the AR and pulled all your assets from the bank because they wouldn't give you a CLI?

Message 8 of 10
markhs777
Regular Contributor

I really don't mean to pile on however what you did is the definition of being irrational.

Message 9 of 10
Michizane
Regular Contributor

You probably could have just requested an upgrade on one of the cards you closed...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.