cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on helping me to not apply for better cards???

tag
jons998877
Regular Contributor

Any tips on helping me to not apply for better cards???

A year ago I couldn't get any cards, today I have lower tier quality cards (Capital One, Target, local credit union and Discover).....

now I want a card from Chase or Citi, but not there yet. scores are 648/671/679 and have wasted a bunch if INQ trying to get them... I need no INQs for 6-12 months, any suggestions on to avoid the trap?

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Any tips on helping me to not apply for better cards???

You can lock/freeze your reports so even if you get the "itch" and surrender to temptation they can't pull.

Also avoid even looking at the credit approval threads, this is always my downfall😊

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I find the best cure is to stop or at least reduce reading this website, and turn your attention to other things.

Message 3 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Give it a try upon Temptation; not a guarantee.

Image result for banging your head against a wall meme

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 14
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

You mention Citi, I got in with them when my scores were about the same as yours. That's the 1 card I wish I had waited on because they started me at 1k and I think it's going to be slower to grow than my others. I would really like to put some larger purchases on it here and there but can't because of the lower limit due to my credit seeking ways. 😂

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I find the best cure is to stop or at least reduce reading this website, and turn your attention to other things.

I second this! Not that this isn't a cool place, but putting this out of sight for a while can keep applications out of mind. It is something to consider if other strategies do not/have not worked.

Also, OP, take a look at the Garden Club thread if you have not done so yet.

Message 6 of 14
jons998877
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys, all great thoughts... my focus needs to be paying down the cards I have, not alot, about $2800... and letting by Ford Motor and Navient age out even more

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wouldnt necessarily call your current cards lower tier. Those are good lenders and for many are excellent cards. Just tske a break, work on your balances, and in 6 - 12 months your scores will be rock solid and you'll  be ready for the "Big Boys"Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

If you have debts to pay off, getting on top of your budget may be a good use of time. A lot of folks here use YNAB, and it makes a difference.

Message 9 of 14
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

THIS!!! It's hard not to get caught up in everyone else's excitement here lol.

But in all seriousness, last year I gardened for about 8 months, and whenever I got an itch to apply for something, I would log into my Experian and read all the "negative reasons" for my scores. Seeing "Too many inquiries," "not enough history," etc. reminded me what I was gardening for. It also felt soooo good when I finally did apply and got approved for $8k cards that I could actually use, compared to $500.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.