Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use Vantage West CU?

tag
awg420
Regular Contributor

Anyone use Vantage West CU?

I just opened account with Vantage West and was wondering if anyone currently used any of their CC's? Mainly opened the account in case I need an auto loan in the future but interested to see how people like them.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone use Vantage West CU?

wrote:

I just opened account with Vantage West and was wondering if anyone currently used any of their CC's? Mainly opened the account in case I need an auto loan in the future but interested to see how people like them.

Yes I use their non-rewards Connect. I'm finding Vantage West to be a delight. They have the best, and most personal, customer service I've experienced.

Most people favor the rewards card, which gives 5% on some stuff.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

wrote:

Yeah, I've been with VW for a couple years, I live in their geographic locations. I'm not that wild about them, and moved my direct deposit away from them last month. I have an eChecking account with no fees, no minimum balance & free Bill Pay. I referred a friend to them & he couldn't find that checking account on their site, so I used online chat and was told eChecking had been discontinued and now their basic no fee checking wants $3/mo. for BillPay. Rep assured me my eChecking would be grandfathered in, but I don't trust them. 

I have their Connect Visa, not the Connect Rewards that gives you 5% rewards on a category your choose & can change. I used Chat and rep said I couldn't upgrade my Visa to that, had to be a new app, new HP, and if approved a new account. No thanks. My Connect Visa has a variable 11.5% APR & no fee cash advances & BTs, but is my least used card, it has a stupid gazillion points needed to redeem for over priced merchandise I don't need or want, no cash or statement rewards. Finally, I bought a low mileage 2016 car in September 2017, Vantage West offered 3.5% for 60 months, I went with DCU for 2.99% for 65 months. I don't want to pay on a car for 5 1/5 years & can afford larger payments, but figured it better to lock in the low rate for as long as possible.

VW is probably one of the better local southern AZ CUs, but when I looked around that isn't saying much, I use national credit unions, DCU & Penfed for car loan & Home Equity LOC, and Chase for primary checking. Arizona Central Credit Union is one of the worst. They offer a $200 bonus for new accounts so last year I stopped by a branch to open an account and try them out. At the very end of the process the rep told me was going to pull my credit report. I refused, saying I wasn't applying for any credit, I always decline overdraft protection, and when the rep told me they had to (HP) pull my CR just to open an account I told her "No thanks" and walked out. The credit union difference. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have been a VWCU customer for years and have great experience with them. I have their non-rewards Connect Visa Credit Card, when I applied I didn't need another rewards card and they gave me the lowest APR and a hefty CLI. Building a banking relationship with a CU is just a good idea.the often offer good rates on car loans and mortgages but that may vary depending on individual data points.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got their Connect Rewards CC back in December, I live in Texas. From what I understand they no longer accept apps from outside their geographic area so I feel I got pretty lucky with that one cuz the card has some unique categories and is very versatile. Not sure if the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards is still available nationwide, but it's similarly unique compared to the Connect Rewards card. The PCR though is a rotating category card, and the calendar actually repeats every year so q1 is always the same q3 is always the same etc. The Connect Rewards requires at least $25 to cash out, and I believe you can do any amount above that (haven't cashed out yet, hitting min spends) while the PCR requires $50 minimum, and I believe must be done in $25 increments for $75 or $100. I cashed out at $100 cuz right when I crossed $50 I doubled my cash back balance with a large purchase. Personally I don't mind waiting to accrue the cash back.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.