cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App advice wanted (out of the garden)

Highlighted
New Visitor

App advice wanted (out of the garden)

Going to be making some bigger purchases early next year (10-15k).
I figure I can put as much of that on 0-interest as possible, with the side benefit of thickening my file and getting me in at some new banks.

So I'm looking for best shot at high-limit 0-intro and then very-high-limit no intro with bonus (I'll pay off within a few months, so big SUB can be effective <= 0 interest, and also helps with utilization). I know banks can be seemingly random with their limits, but I'd like to avoid cards known for low limits.

My profile:
EQ: 775, TU: 795, EX: 785
AAoA: 3.5y
Util: 0%
No bads
Inq: EQ 1 (lease), TU 1 (lease), EX 0
Inc: 120k
Total Limits: 22k

Cap: Venture1 8k, Venture 5k, QS 3.3k, QS1 3k
Citi: DC 2.5k
(Planning on merging the Venture and the QS1into the V1 and the QS)

I was thinking about apping:
Discover IT cash back (intro + i like the extra categories)
Amex, but not sure which one (probably between: Magnet, BCE, BCP, ED, EDP)
And then maybe another Venture or Savor because of big SL, SUB, and I can merge them in 6 months.

Which Amex (if any)?

Any other cards I'm not thinking about?
What order should I app (if it matters)?
Should I wait until after merged Cap limit (will be >11k) or does that really even matter?

I'm pre-approved for everything Cap1. Pre-approved for Amex Gold/Magnet/Everyday (and I assume everything else I'm considering). And Discover.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: App advice wanted (out of the garden)

If you're eligible, the SUB on NFCU Flagship is epic. With your profile, it wouldn't surprise me to see 15K approval right off the bat. Navy unfortunately doesn't have a 0% offer right now though for that card - they do for cashRewards at 6 months but the SUB isn't as good.

PenFed Power Cash is the next one down the list although they're inquiry and new account sensitive so if you're not eligible with Navy, I would shoot for PenFed first. They also offer 0% for 12 months and a SUB comparable to NFCU's cashRewards card.

Discover is totally unpredictable with their SLs.

Capital One cards I don't like because you get a HP on each bureau... they're not really worth that IMO.

And I have issues with Amex so I can't comment without being biased.

Starting Score: 647
Current Score: 647
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

My Cards: Cap1 Plat (PC'd to QS) $8,250, SSFCU Power Cash Rewards WMC - $5,000, Discover It - $7,500, NFCU cashRewards - $7,500, BBVA Compass ClearPoints - $2,000

Goal: cashRewards CLI to $7,500 and then garden! Garden time!
Message 2 of 5
New Visitor

Thanks. Not NFCU eligible. Will research PenFed.

More input is welcome Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Valued Contributor

Welcome to myFICO

Your credit profile looks great.  My only concern about your getting high SLs is that you don’t have anything in your profile >$10K and only one CC @ $5K. 

So I agree with @Saeren to apply to PenFed first in the hopes of getting a sizable SL. 

EX 792, TU795, EQ 799
|| NFCU CashRewards $25K || AmX $25K || Discover IT $15.7K || Macy's $15K || NFCU Platinum $7.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 4 of 5
Valued Contributor

Op, welcome to the forums! I think you have great credit and are in a good position to grow on your profile. My only concern is the same as CI's which is that of the limits you already have, you don't have any that are really high. It is common that credit unions tend to be a bit more graceful in giving larger limits, but at the same time, it is a roll of the dice.

For your situation, I think it would also depend on what do you consider high limits vs low limits? What reasonable high limit would you prefer or be okay with?

Total Credit: $218,900Utilization: 1%AAoA: 5yrs, 5mthsInstallments: Car Lease, Marcus LoanBaddies: 0On Chop Block: Nobody NA

DSC-27.1K | NFC-25K | ALI-25k | WAL-10k | BoA-22k | BB-12k | NFL-15k | LOW-35k | AMX-19.3k | CHA-10k | PF-8.8k | C-DC-9.7k
Message 5 of 5