Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App'ed for Disco.,,weird experience

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App'ed for Disco.,,weird experience

Just app'ed for the Discover IT card and here's the sequence of events:

1.  Filled out the application online and was asked to "upload documents" which I did.

2.  After they received the docs, I was asked to call to "see if we can get you a decision today."

3.  Made the call and answered a series of verification questions; address, DOB, etc.  Placed on hold

4.  Rep came back, thanked me for the info and for applying and then gave me the dreaded "7-10" message

Usually, from what I've read, "7-10" is a denial, but usually it's an email or a message right after the app.  I guess I should be honored for a verbal 7-10 Smiley Very Happy

I know I have too many inquiries: 9 over the past 12/18 months - 3 misc (hp for a BOA cli, etc) 3 for mortgage (no longer in the market) 3 for the used vehicle purchased in 2016 but if they don't group them, I'm sunk.  Also, my AAoA is less than a year, so those could be the reason(s). Smiley Frustrated

I've said this before, but I mean it this time...if it is a denial, I'm forced into the garden until 2018! Smiley Mad

My numbers as follows - Ex 735 Tu 759 Eq 721. No baddies, no Bkrups, no late or missed payment on anything. PIF every month in all cards. Lowest limit Chase Freedom $500 highest limits $3000 on a CapOne, Amex Delta. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: App'ed for Disco.,,weird experience

Weird indeed. You have a good profile. Your scores are excellent if they're fico, 9 hps in 12-18 is not the end of world, by myfico standards, thats lowSmiley Wink. It seems they saw something they didnt like for some odd reason because why else ask for docs, get docs, ask verifying questions, and then decide 7-10. Thats Discover for you. Dangle the carrot in front of the horse. I know , how many times have i, and countless others spped and you get to end of app and they're like please call in to finish the app. You're like alright, you call and sll it is is to tell you sorry not at this time. Really, you just couldnt do the 60 second spininning thingie and just say not at this time.

Hope you still get it but only Disco knows...
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't agree more...and yes, the scores are fico.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check app status today, denied. Will wait for the letter an recon. I guess that idiom from the 70's was correct after all...DISCO SUCKS!!! 🤣
Message 4 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, my AAoA is less than a year, so those could be the reason(s). Smiley Frustrated

I do think you hit the nail on the head. This may be what spooked them. And NO, Disco does NOT suck!!!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

App'ed for Disco.,,weird experience - UPDATE

Got the letter yesterday and was denied...here's the reason: "Unable to verify credit references/application information."  I was like, ok, that's easy, let me call and clear it up.  I call the recon number, verified the basics and the analyts restates the reason from the letter.  I ask can you tell me what it was Discover couldn't verify and I'm sure I can clear it up?" Her answer.."NO"  Smiley Very Happy  I couldn't believe it.  She went further and said I should contact EQ and review it to see if there's something wrong on the report.  I told her I'm OCD about my credit and there are no inconsistencies that would translate incorrectly from my report to my application...a typo or inverted number notwithstanding.  I asked her, even if I get the report, if you don't tell me what it is I should be looking for, how will I know what's incorrect or unverifiable????  She said the only thing she could do was take another application (and another

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  Filled out the application online and was asked to "upload documents" which I did.

2.  After they received the docs, I was asked to call to "see if we can get you a decision today."

3.  Made the call and answered a series of verification questions; address, DOB, etc.  Placed on hold

4.  Rep came back, thanked me for the info and for applying and then gave me the dreaded "7-10" message

Usually, from what I've read, "7-10" is a denial, but usually it's an email or a message right after the app.  I guess I should be honored for a verbal 7-10 Smiley Very Happy

I know I have too many inquiries: 9 over the past 12/18 months - 3 misc (hp for a BOA cli, etc) 3 for mortgage (no longer in the market) 3 for the used vehicle purchased in 2016 but if they don't group them, I'm sunk.  Also, my AAoA is less than a year, so those could be the reason(s). Smiley Frustrated

I've said this before, but I mean it this time...if it is a denial, I'm forced into the garden until 2018! Smiley Mad

My numbers as follows - Ex 735 Tu 759 Eq 721. No baddies, no Bkrups, no late or missed payment on anything. PIF every month in all cards. Lowest limit Chase Freedom $500 highest limits $3000 on a CapOne, Amex Delta. 

Got the letter yesterday and was denied...here's the reason: "Unable to verify credit references/application information."  I was like, "ok, that's easy, let me call and clear it up.  I call the recon number, verified the basics and the analyts restates the reason from the letter.  I ask "can you tell me what it was Discover couldn't verify and I'm sure I can clear it up?"  Her answer.."NO"  LOL  I couldn't believe it.  She went further and said I should contact Eq and review it to see if there's something wrong on the report.  I told her I'm OCD about my credit and there are no inconsistencies that would translate incorrectly from my report to my application...a typo or inverted number notwithstanding.  I asked her, even if I get the report, if you don't tell me what it is I should be looking for, how will I know what's incorrect????  She said the only thing she could do was take another application (and hp).  Nope...not worth it.  Has anybody else ever heard of such a thing???

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Many of us have tried to climb the wall and failed miserably when first trying to get into Discover. Unfortunately, most of the times what the computer says stands and really their frontline csrs are powerless to do anything. How many times did i app and told to call in only to tell me i cant be approved right now unless i had a co applicant. Never had been offered secured card. You can ask for recon and all they say it probably what was said to you, another hp to "look".

Its frustrating i know, been there . Apped 5 times, have 6 hps to show for it. Though your aaol is less than a year i dont believe thats the issue as it seems at times Disco loves thin files or people straight out of bk. But it does stink when they cant even tell you whats not verifiable. Probably just wait until you know your profile is rock solid and maybe try again if you like.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to garden until the end of 2018. The only thing that I might take another hp would be for a chase freedom cli. Not sure about that either.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App'ed for Disco.,,weird experience - UPDATE

@Anonymous wrote:

Got the letter yesterday and was denied...here's the reason: "Unable to verify credit references/application information."  I was like, ok, that's easy, let me call and clear it up.  I call the recon number, verified the basics and the analyts restates the reason from the letter.  I ask can you tell me what it was Discover couldn't verify and I'm sure I can clear it up?" Her answer.."NO"  Smiley Very Happy  I couldn't believe it.  She went further and said I should contact EQ and review it to see if there's something wrong on the report.  I told her I'm OCD about my credit and there are no inconsistencies that would translate incorrectly from my report to my application...a typo or inverted number notwithstanding.  I asked her, even if I get the report, if you don't tell me what it is I should be looking for, how will I know what's incorrect or unverifiable????  She said the only thing she could do was take another application (and another

@Anonymous wrote:

Got the letter yesterday and was denied...here's the reason: "Unable to verify credit references/application information."  I was like, "ok, that's easy, let me call and clear it up.  I call the recon number, verified the basics and the analyts restates the reason from the letter.  I ask "can you tell me what it was Discover couldn't verify and I'm sure I can clear it up?"  Her answer.."NO"  LOL  I couldn't believe it.  She went further and said I should contact Eq and review it to see if there's something wrong on the report.  I told her I'm OCD about my credit and there are no inconsistencies that would translate incorrectly from my report to my application...a typo or inverted number notwithstanding.  I asked her, even if I get the report, if you don't tell me what it is I should be looking for, how will I know what's incorrect????  She said the only thing she could do was take another application (and hp).  Nope...not worth it.  Has anybody else ever heard of such a thing???

Is it possible that you entered something incorrectly on the app or the CSR did while you were speaking to them? Something similar happened to me on an app and the representative entered my phone number in the SSN line.

And when I applied for a loan recently, my bank called and notified me that my EQ report is wonky because it was showing that I was living at 3 addresses at once (my old apartments) and that I should clear that up before applying anywhere else. It could be something as simple as that. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm going to garden until the end of 2018. The only thing that I might take another hp would be for a chase freedom cli. Not sure about that either.

I may be missing something but why is Discover the only card you want to apply for in a over a year and a half? No sign up bonuses.   Have to wait a year for your match.  Not accepted everywhere. Not accepted overseas.   

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.