Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple CLI Denial--Payments Not Large Enough

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Apple CLI Denial--Payments Not Large Enough

I got the Apple card back in late April--and 90+ days had passed so I sent a message for a CLI and the title of the thread says the rest. I've put at least $1k spend through it since opening and made payments over the minimum--but apparently they want bigger payments. My balance was a little under $1k when I asked. TU Fico 9 in the email was 777. It's been my go to card for gas since I use Exxon a lot and it gives me 3% CB.

I plan to pay at least 1/2 the balance down on the next payment. How long do I have to wait before I make another request?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RT209
New Contributor

Re: Apple CLI Denial--Payments Not Large Enough

Ive had the Apple Card since it was introduced back in 2019. I was immediately approved for $7,500 out of the gate, but in almost two years they have only increased my limit a measly $500 bucks. I'm now at $8,000. Hence, I don't use the card much, just for apple products and streaming services through iTunes. It took me until my fourth time asking for increase that they gave in for $500, haha. Goldman Sachs is a bit stingy. They want to see card use and full payoffs on balances from time to time. 

Message 2 of 7
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

I got my first CLI on my fourth-try, $500, so I at least met one of my 2021 goals! I financed a new iPhone, which I paid it off early. Aside from that, monthly spend was only between $50-$150, always paying balances in full.  I just don't spend enough on this card to impress them.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 7
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I got the Apple card back in late April--and 90+ days had passed so I sent a message for a CLI and the title of the thread says the rest. I've put at least $1k spend through it since opening and made payments over the minimum--but apparently they want bigger payments. My balance was a little under $1k when I asked. TU Fico 9 in the email was 777. It's been my go to card for gas since I use Exxon a lot and it gives me 3% CB.

I plan to pay at least 1/2 the balance down on the next payment. How long do I have to wait before I make another request?

@Credit-hoarder Sorry to hear about your denial! You can try again whenever you're ready but you may wanna wait at least 3 to 4 weeks.  Goldman tends to use a report that is 1 month to 7 weeks old for their soft pulls. So trying again sooner they may still use the same info used in your denial. 

On the Apple Card website it says it can take as few as 4 months up to as many as 6 months before you're eligible for a limit increase.  Once you get your first increase though you usually are eligible every 91 days.

In case it helps any I'll share my experience.  I got my Apple Card in November 2020 with a $2100 limit. Spent $1900 on a new MacBook on a 12 month installment plan in November .  Could've paid it off immediately but I was strategically trying to get them to increase my limit at 91 days, so I paid it off in 3 months.

At 91 days I asked for an increase and they said no. Denial said that I had not paid off enough of my installment plan.  My account had had a $0 balance for over 3 weeks  though. Based on the denial letter they used a report that was over a month old where I still owed on the MacBook installment . 

I tried again in months 4 and 5. They denied me again. In month 5 I bought a new iPhone 12 on an installment plan for $800.  I paid it off immediately.  In month 6 I asked for a limit increase and they finally approved it.  My limit went from $2100 to $3350.  Other than the MacBook and IPhone I only spent about $50 a month on the card each month. Of course YMMV but hopefully this helps! Best wishes next time you ask for a limit increase!

Message 4 of 7
Mischa
Contributor

Are you actually carrying a balance month to month, other than an installment plan? If so, I'd PIF for a few months then try again. What's your current limit and utilization on the card? GS seems to like heavy use but PIF (unless it's an installment plan). 

You can request a CLI whenever you'd like so there's no harm in trying again. 

Message 5 of 7
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@RT209 wrote:

Ive had the Apple Card since it was introduced back in 2019. I was immediately approved for $7,500 out of the gate, but in almost two years they have only increased my limit a measly $500 bucks. I'm now at $8,000. Hence, I don't use the card much, just for apple products and streaming services through iTunes. It took me until my fourth time asking for increase that they gave in for $500, haha. Goldman Sachs is a bit stingy. They want to see card use and full payoffs on balances from time to time. 

In fairness to Goldman Sachs (and Cap 1...and Synch...and Comenity...and others), neither they nor the companies who contract with them to issue their cards make money unless the cards are used significantly.

$7,500 SL is pretty good for that card...and frankly, it was nice of them to give you the CL bump given the minimal use of their card.

There have been quite a few threads about static lines, CLDs, etc. when people are using high-line cards minimally. That may or may not be signaling the end of the large unused credit line era, but at minimum, the writing is on the wall moving forward: Use 'em or (eventually, maybe) lose 'em.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my experience:

I have an Apple Card (since 8/2019). I asked for a CLI earlier this year and was denied. They mentioned "payments not large enough." I had an iPhone with installment payments and a balance that was left on it from last year. Total was just over $1100.

I paid the balance off in full in March and asked for a CLI the following month on April 6th, 5 days after the statement came out They gave me a $2K increase to $8.5k. Prior to the balance I carried from last year and the iPhone installment, I did not use the card much. 

While YMMV, maybe paying off the carried balance could help? Maybe half would work, too.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.