Apple Card denied - DPs

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Apple Card Application Denied

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried for the new apple card today.

Scanned my id, entered last (4) of my SSN, DOB, etc.

Came back as Not approved due to insufficient credit history, which i know is not correct.

I think they are trying to be as polite as possible when they deny applications.

Says they pulled Transunion.  Must have been a soft pull, since my credit monitoring service reported no hard pulls.

Guess ill stay in the garden for a while, hopefully in 1-2 years ill be able to get one. Smiley Happy

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

What are your DPs? We’ll confirm or deny for you whether it’s insufficient credit history. Also in another post you said you had never heard of GS until the Apple card. I’m thinking you may be 18-19. Am I correct?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 71 of 251
tedb
New Contributor

Re: Apple Card - Denied

Banking should be good. I did get a new car in January due to a car accident in December. No new accounts this year besides that inquiry. I had lost my job back in 2013 and was working inconsistently due to some personal matters from 2013-2015. I did close two bank accounts during that time and that time frame is where my lates are from. All good since then as I've been in a slow rebuild mode. I actually had killed all my credit card debt except for a recent big purchase which will be paid off at the end of this month. Things are on the up and up. Getting back to pre-2013 levels. 

I'm not sweating the denial. I just wanted the card and I know I need more time for my credit to cook in the kitchen. I do like the soft pull. I wish more banks would do that so you can see where you stand before hitting apply.

Message 72 of 251
tedb
New Contributor

Oh...I didn't really answer the question.

No bounced checks or bankruptcy in my history. I did have a collection but that was removed once it was paid off a couple of years ago. 

Message 73 of 251
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the decline! This was a card I was extremely excited for simply because of the aesthetic, but alas I was denied as well with a 687 on TU and no derog. Oh well, best we don't buy into their ecosystem more than we already have!
Message 74 of 251
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Card - Denied for Multiple Reason

I recently applied for the Apple Card via the Wallet App on my iPhone and was unfortunately denied.

Reasons:

• Your debt is too high relative to your income - examples may include loan or credit card balances
  • Your monthly debt obligations are too high given your income - examples may include credit card, loan, or housing payments
  • Your monthly debt obligations are too high given your income - examples may include loan or monthly housing payments

I've held at least one credit card for over 7 years (currently hold three Credit Cards in my wallet). Never made a late payment and have no debts whatsoever. 

Transunion Score: 725

Income: $18,000

Debts/Loans: None

Note: I am a college student and hold two credit cards as an authorized user where the monthly spend can be quite high (higher than my personal income). I thankfully have no student loans, car loans, morgages. I have an American Express Gold card where I am the primary and sole user. 

Message 75 of 251
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Card - Denied for Multiple Reason

Additional Note: I do not use the authorized user cards. I use the Amex Gold Card and spend around $400-500/month. The rest of my spend is paid with my debit card or with Check. 

Message 76 of 251
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consider this: With an annual income of $18,000 you're bringing home roughly $1,500 a month. Lenders prefer to see a DTI less than, I believe, 36%. That leaves you with $540 they'll allow you to account for monthly payments/debt. You have your AMEX Gold Card, but the two cards you're on as an authorized user also account for your DTI... If they're high spenders, that minimum payment is probably pretty high as well and is throwing your DTI out of whack. A lot of lenders also take into consideration your housing costs so that could be contributing to the decline as well. EDIT: Something to keep in mind is being an Authorized User on a credit card can be very beneficial, but it can also be detrimental if they're not responsible cardholders. You may not be using their cards, but you're adopting all their payment history, balance history, credit line history, etc.
Message 77 of 251
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Consider this: With an annual income of $18,000 you're bringing home roughly $1,500 a month. Lenders prefer to see a DTI less than, I believe, 36%. That leaves you with $540 they'll allow you to account for monthly payments/debt. You have your AMEX Gold Card, but the two cards you're on as an authorized user also account for your DTI... If they're high spenders, that minimum payment is probably pretty high as well and is throwing your DTI out of whack. A lot of lenders also take into consideration your housing costs so that could be contributing to the decline as well. EDIT: Something to keep in mind is being an Authorized User on a credit card can be very beneficial, but it can also be detrimental if they're not responsible cardholders. You may not be using their cards, but you're adopting all their payment history, balance history, credit line history, etc.

This exactly...for example, if I were an authorized user on my father's Amex Platinum: He is a high spender and even pays his bill in full every time, HOWEVER his statement cuts and he pays it.  This would mean that at times I would have a $15,000 balance reporting on my profile due to the AU status on this card even though not one penny of it is my spend.  I do not have his income, that DTI would go against my income on my credit profile and that would kill me as I certainly do not make enough to benefit from that kind of ratio. 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 78 of 251
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

Re: Apple Card Application Denied

Make more money, or have less bills?

Message 79 of 251
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for the Apple Card via the Wallet App on my iPhone and was unfortunately denied.

Reasons:

• Your debt is too high relative to your income - examples may include loan or credit card balances
  • Your monthly debt obligations are too high given your income - examples may include credit card, loan, or housing payments
  • Your monthly debt obligations are too high given your income - examples may include loan or monthly housing payments

I've held at least one credit card for over 7 years (currently hold three Credit Cards in my wallet). Never made a late payment and have no debts whatsoever. 

Transunion Score: 725

Income: $18,000

Debts/Loans: None

Note: I am a college student and hold two credit cards as an authorized user where the monthly spend can be quite high (higher than my personal income). I thankfully have no student loans, car loans, morgages. I have an American Express Gold card where I am the primary and sole user. 

Depending on how bad you want the Apple card, you can ask your parents to have you removed as an authorized user and reapply.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 80 of 251
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.