Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card iPhone required?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Card iPhone required?

So, It looks like to get an Apple Card an iPhone is required? A bit of silly requriement...

I guess an iPad doesn't qualitfy you? Figured that would be enough but guess no. Figure they want people using Apple Pay as much as posssible and not the physical card. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Apple Card iPhone required?

@Anonymous wrote:

So, It looks like to get an Apple Card an iPhone is required? A bit of silly requriement...

I guess an iPad doesn't qualitfy you? Figured that would be enough but guess no. Figure they want people using Apple Pay as much as posssible and not the physical card. 

Of course they want you to use Apple Pay and not the physical card. That's why they only give 1% on physical card purchases vs 2% Apple Pay.

I don't think the requirement is silly. Just typical Apple who tends to lock users into things.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also use the Apple Card with any MacBook Pro that has a Touch Bar. I'm guessing its because Apple requires fingerprint authentication.  It will also work with an Apple Watch linked to either an iPhone or MacBook Pro Touch Bar model.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple is a $265 billion dolllar company with about half of that coming just from iPhone. Businesses tend to like to protect their money maker.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple is a $265 billion dolllar company with about half of that coming just from iPhone. Businesses tend to like to protect their money maker.

Of course but also money is money. Figured they would want as many people as possible to carry their card that will pay on time. Maybe the agreement with Goldman sachs isn't enough to warrant this not sure. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main focus of the Apple Card is to encourage using Apple Pay, which is in the Wallet app. The Wallet app from Apple does not exist on the iPad, therefore you need an iPhone. You can use it through an Apple Watch that is connected to an iPhone, but you still need the iPhone to make it all happen.

Message 6 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

The iPhone is the dedicated device with Wallet app. All other devices have limited mgmt. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if specs to security enclave are slightly different. Making the phone just a little more fortified.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, say you have an iPhone6, but not used as a phone and not signed up with a carrier? Can you still get the card?

I totally get that since Apple is into the tech aspect, that they would steer more towards a digital card. So this didn't suprise me.

But for those of us who don't use an iPhone for cellular service, should still be able to get and use said Apple Card. Because it's not like I need a data plan to use it, I've got wifi and NFC reader. Correct?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, say you have an iPhone6, but not used as a phone and not signed up with a carrier? Can you still get the card?

I totally get that since Apple is into the tech aspect, that they would steer more towards a digital card. So this didn't suprise me.

But for those of us who don't use an iPhone for cellular service, should still be able to get and use said Apple Card. Because it's not like I need a data plan to use it, I've got wifi and NFC reader. Correct?

😐🤔🧐

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The interwebs says yes;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8495819

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.