cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application advice for a (super) Thin File n00b?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application advice for a (super) Thin File n00b?

Just an update: I took the advice given by many here and went the Discover IT route (the Miles variant, to be exact, for the effective flat 3% CB for the first year... will probably product change to the rotating categories version after that year is up). I also got approved about five minutes later for the Amex Simply Business Cash Plus card, even though that won't go toward beefing up my file.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Message 11 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

What is the 3% CB card. I cant find it on Disco’s website?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Miles is 1.5%, but with cash back match, it makes it  3%  for  the first year only 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

The Discover IT Miles card gives 1.5 miles/dollar spent (miles are valued at a cent each and can be redeemed for cash back), and Discover matches all of your earned miles at the end of your first year, making it effectively a 3% CB card for that year.

Message 14 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

The Discover IT Miles card gives 1.5 miles/dollar spent (miles are valued at a cent each and can be redeemed for cash back), and Discover matches all of your earned miles at the end of your first year, making it effectively a 3% CB card for that year.

Oh silly me. Forgot about the match 😂🤣

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Discover it card will always be my suggestion for thinner files. They approved me without having any credit history at all. The benefits are really solid as well - 5% cashback on rotating categories and 1% on everything else, plus all the cashback you earn in your first year gets doubled, effectively making the rates 10% and 2%. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Edit: Oops, just saw you got approved for the miles variant - congrats, that's a solid card as well! Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.