Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for 1st NFCU card, then Apple?

tag
Miikawaadizi
New Contributor

Applying for 1st NFCU card, then Apple?

Back in June I Applied for Apple Card again and my offer went up to $6500. My offer expired around July 2nd, so I applied again a few days later but then stopped and realized I had a possible better card to choose from first. 
   I recently found I was eligible through NFCU through my grandfather and applied Wednesday for an account, now I want to apply with NFCU for their Cash Rewards card. 
What kind of adverse action will that do to my open Apple offer? I know there is always a chance at closure after a FI sees your stats have changed on your credit report. But, has anyone here had any issues of accepting their Apple Card after applying for another card in between the soft pull offer and hard pull acceptance?

Also, should I be nervous applying for NFCU. I'm switching one of my direct deposits over to them in the next month or two but right now I have $10 in savings. 

My stats are all updated below. I have practiced AZEO the past 3 months with my AZ card being at 2%($196/9000)

My ages are below

AoOA 1yr6month (LOC)

AAoA 8 months 

AoYA 4 months (last 2 accounts opened in March)

I have a total of 1 account with a balance. 2.2% on individual utilization of All Zero card and <1% on aggregate utilization. 
I have 8 tradeline, 7 credit cards (5 majors/3 closed loop).

Amex approved me for a 3X CLI @105 days on July 5th $1k>3k

Thanks for the help! 

Starting Score:Early 2021 Mid 400s
Current Score:Eq/Ex/Tu 740/743/734 Experian is -4 thanks to Comenity hard pull and their website “update” debacle
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for 1st NFCU card, then Apple?

I would apply for NFCU first because they take 2 months to report to cra's, at least with me they did, ymmv

I'm thinking if you apply to nfcu first and then after the decision you app for apple you avoid the score dip from a new navy acct when you app for apple.

I have played this dancing between the raindrops thing before. inearly december i was approved by penfed and comenity mc and before those accts reported i apped to navy, i scooped all 3.

right now i am trying for another hat trick. a couple of weeks ago i was approved for the bread amex 6k sl, then last week i was approved for my second discover, neither are reporting yet so only score dip is for the hp's.

On the 25th i can request a cli on my nfcu platinum, im hoping disco and bread amex dont report by then. i was told by disco customer service yesterday that if i dont use the card until july 25th it wont report until aug 23rd.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 4
keekers
Established Contributor

My advice regarding NFCU is to establish DD, even if it's a small amount and if you can swing it also open a Shared Secured Loan (you can pay back 90%+ immediately once they release the funds back to you in a day or two; I think there are threads around here on what I'm talking about). I understand they also like to see a Flagship Checking account (maintain $1500 avg daily balance to avoid fees). NFCU is a relationship institution and those things will help you boost your internal score with them. Of course there are plenty of folks that have gotten approvals without all, or any of those things but it can only help your cause. From my personal experience (and I'm not saying that you and I are apples to apples from a credit profile perspective of course) I did all of the above with lower FICO scores than you and baddies on my report and I was approved for both the More Rewards and Cash Rewards cards with SLs of $25K each (4 months apart).

As far as your Apple situation goes, I personally prefer the NFCU Cash Rewards over the Apple card (I have both).  With that said, in my humble opinion I don't believe one additional revolving account would move the needle terribly but of course I'm not familiar with your credit profile.  As always, YMMV.

Message 3 of 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@keekers wrote:

My advice regarding NFCU is to establish DD, even if it's a small amount and if you can swing it also open a Shared Secured Loan (you can pay back 90%+ immediately once they release the funds to you in a day or two; I think there are threads around here on what I'm talking about). I understand they also like to see a Flagship Checking account (maintain $1500 avg daily balance to avoid fees). NFCU is a relationship institution and those things will help you boost your internal score with them. Of course there are plenty of folks that have gotten approvals without all, or any of those things but it can only help your cause. From my personal experience (and I'm not saying that you and I are apples to apples from a credit profile perspective of course) I did all of the above with lower FICO scores than you and baddies on my report and I was approved for both the More Rewards and Cash Rewards cards with SLs of $25K each.

As far as your Apple situation goes, I personally prefer the NFCU Cash Rewards over the Apple card (I have both).  With that said, in my humble opinion I don't believe one additional revolving account would move the needle terribly but of course I'm not familiar with your credit profile.  As always, YMMV.

Very good info... thanks.  I also just opened a NFCU checking but am setting up DD and boosting the internal score after getting denied on my initial app.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.