cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for 2 different cards seconds apart - HPs?

tag
tricklemoo
Established Member

Applying for 2 different cards seconds apart - HPs?

If you apply to two different companies at the exact same time for a card, will the 2nd one see the hardpull of the first, even if you literally hit the 'apply' button like 30 seconds later?

I realise that multiple hard pulls and multiple new accounts can lower your credit score.But what I'm concerned with specifically is if the 2nd company in this situation can see the HP from the first as it may be difference of getting approved or not.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Trini88
Established Contributor

Re: Applying for 2 different cards seconds apart - HPs?

I applied for my Target and Discover card the same day and they didn't seem to mind. Applied for my Victoria Secret a week later and SavorOne a week after that and they didn't seem to mind still. Then again none were reporting.

I also applied for my Lowes and Evergreen same day. Lowes reported less than 2 days later on my credit report 😒 while Evergreen went pending. Thought for sure FNBO would catch it and deny me but hey 🤣. Plus I got the Apple Card 2 weeks after getting those 2 cards and they didn't seem to care about my Lowes card being opened 2 weeks prior.

Goal Cards:
Message 2 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

At least one will see the other. You may be hitting apply at the same time, but the servers are in different locations. One signal will have to travel longer. That's not including anything else that could affect the speeds.

Message 3 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It depends on which bureau each company pulls, but assuming they pull the same one, then yes, the 2nd company would see the 1st pull because HPs are instant in most cases. That said, it's usually not a big deal, unless you're excessively seeking credit and/or one of the banks you're applying with is inquiry sensitive. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 12
tricklemoo
Established Member

Thanks. It sounds like if I do them almost instantly together, I can't actually garunatee that the 2nd will see the 1st rather than the other way around, because of server speeds?But if I spread them out a minute apart it surely will as long as its an instant approval or not- as the server has time to do a HP, run through their own logic of auto-accept, revew, or auto-reject, and spit that answerback out to me in my browser. So as long as I wait  the minute or so to actually get the accept/review/reject on the 1st one, THEN hit apply for the 2nd, the 2nd will see the 1st but the 1st won't see the second, correct?

The companies are Citi and CapOne. Pre-approved for both, but I have had one HP since those pre-approvals (for an installment loan) and  as I understand it that could be  a deal-breaker for Citi. With CapOne I feel like even the recent HP won't stop them fromo approving me, as I have a card witht them that I make sure to use a lot and they increased my limit recently a lot without me asking. But with Citi I feel like I've read that any HP withing 7 days is auto-rejection, so if I apply for Citi first and CapOne a few mins later it should be fine but not the other way around?

Message 5 of 12
tricklemoo
Established Member

Thanks for DPs.Did you see if the HP appeared instantly on any of your reports though? Is interesting none of those cards cared if they were indeed showing up!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Often, I will get alert notifications about the inquiry *before* the site is even done processing the application- as in within ten seconds. Even if you clicked them simultaneously the 2nd could still see the 1st to report it.

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi is known to double pull for many, Cap One pulls all 3. No need to play the minute game here, its not gonna make a difference imo. Go with Citi first as they are more sensitive. See what happens then you can apply for Cap One. No use in trying to trick their algosSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
tricklemoo
Established Member

Ah, ok. Good to know. I guess there is no way to appy for two pllaces that will do HPs and hide the 2nd from the 1st, unless you are sure each will pull from different CRAs. But in my case Citi checks any of the three, sometimes double pull, and C1 apparently checks all 3...so no way around it. 

Message 9 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@tricklemoo wrote:

Ah, ok. Good to know. I guess there is no way to appy for two pllaces that will do HPs and hide the 2nd from the 1st, unless you are sure each will pull from different CRAs. But in my case Citi checks any of the three, sometimes double pull, and C1 apparently checks all 3...so no way around it. 

I think you mean hiding the inquiry from the 1st issuer from the 2nd one.  The 1st issuer wouldn't see the inquiry from the 2nd application unless it circled back later and made yet another pull after you had already applied for the 2nd card.

Also, be mindful that in some cases an issuer may hard pull from 1 CRA and also soft pull from a 2nd one. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.