cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for 2nd NFCU Card... Which one do I get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for 2nd NFCU Card... Which one do I get?

I have had a NFCU checking account for two years now.
This March I appd and was approved for the Cash Rewards Card with a sl of $5,500

Since then I have

- Spent and paid in full nearly 9k on the card

- Deposited  6 months worth of direct deposit totalling $800/week in my checking account

- Deposited a 12k check in my account which is still there

I plan to apply for the 2nd Card in early July and at that time my TU Fico9 will be around 740ish

All of this being said I want to have my second card be a blockbuster 10k, 15k, 20k SL. My plans were to deposit as much and spend as much as I could through my NFCU checking and cash rewards card to increase my chances.

Will all the things I did above even matter when NFCU determines my SL for my next card?

If so/ if not what card has the best chance of getting a higher initial SL?
- More Rewards

- Platinum

- Flagship

- all the same chances

I prefer the platinum because it has the potential to have the lowest interest rates and if I needed to make a large purchase that would be the best. But open to anything if I can get the higher initial SL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Applying for 2nd NFCU Card... Which one do I get?

@Anonymous wrote:

This March I appd and was approved for the Cash Rewards Card with a sl of $5,500

Since then I have

- Deposited  6 months worth of direct deposit totalling $800/week in my checking account

I plan to apply for the 2nd Card in early July and at that time my TU Fico9 will be around 740ish

All of this being said I want to have my second card be a blockbuster 10k, 15k, 20k SL. My plans were to deposit as much and spend as much as I could through my NFCU checking and cash rewards card to increase my chances.

Will all the things I did above even matter when NFCU determines my SL for my next card?

- More Rewards

- Platinum

- Flagship

- all the same chances

I prefer the platinum because it has the potential to have the lowest interest rates and if I needed to make a large purchase that would be the best. But open to anything if I can get the higher initial SL.

Honestly, none of that is needed. You cant buy your way to a big sl or a specific sl/cli.  Somewhere this is being touted as the way to get big limits from Navy, im gonna guess Youtube . Navy is abit like Discover 8n that no one can say who gets what and why, their algorithms are a mystery but what is known with Navy is that as one builds history with them by just being a member and using and paying on time your accounts, they usually grow. I have never had more than $50 in either my checking or savings and i have achieved 41k in credit with them. 

As to what will get the biggest limit on card number 2, any of them may receive a high limit if Navy deems you fit to have one , imo. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't really hear this from anywhere I just needed to spend the money, cash my checks, and put direct deposits into a checking account. Since I needed to do this I just concentrated all of it on my Navy accounts in the hopes that it may help somehow. I guess I will need to rely on my income, dti, and credit score and hopefully this will be enough to get me what I want. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since then I have

- More Rewards

- Platinum

- Flagship

- all the same chances

You look to be in a good position for a nice approval. 

For me, I didn't have anywhere near the amount of deposits you've had with them and they've been extremely generous to me. Not saying your deposits won't help, they might.

I'm also interested in the Platinum for my 3rd card with them, probably in the next couple of months I'll app for it.

From the info you've given here, you looked to be in good shape for a nice 2nd card with Navy.

Let us know how it goes!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Since then I have

- More Rewards

- Platinum

- Flagship

- all the same chances

You look to be in a good position for a nice approval. 

For me, I didn't have anywhere near the amount of deposits you've had with them and they've been extremely generous to me. Not saying your deposits won't help, they might.

I'm also interested in the Platinum for my 3rd card with them, probably in the next couple of months I'll app for it.

From the info you've given here, you looked to be in good shape for a nice 2nd card with Navy.

Let us know how it goes!

Awesome, yeah I definitely will let everyone know. Looks to be early to mid July when my time comes. Yeah the platinum looks to be the best the low APR is really attractive. Sometimes you need to put things on credit and having that low apr will save you a lot of money. Thanks for the input I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen, it looks like Flagship gives the biggest SL 

Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I've seen, it looks like Flagship gives the biggest SL 

Why do you say this?  FS has a minimum  5k sl for sure but i actually see more 25k approvals for the Amex card than FS. But a great deal also go Cash Rewards and score big. Being their toughest card to get, id vote it actually less likely to get the biggest sl  just on tougher UW aloneSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

AJC, I think they may have meant it can ultimately go higher than the others as in the max limit of $80k. Agree with you that FS shouldn't be seen as being more likely than the others to be higher. 

OP, you sound well-positioned for a good approval as others have stated. Your level of banking with them isn't necessary to get it but I'm sure it won't hurt. My Plat was approved for $1k on day one as a member along with a personal loan. My cashRewards was approved four months later for $25k with a TU09 a hair over 750, and I direct-deposit less than $100 per week as my main CU is a small local one here in town. I don't spend from my account there - I use it to receive ACH transfers to pay my cards and loan through them.

Definitely let us know how your app goes - we all love a good approval Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AJC, I think they may have meant it can ultimately go higher than the others as in the max limit of $80k. Agree with you that FS shouldn't be seen as being more likely than the others to be higher. 

OP, you sound well-positioned for a good approval as others have stated. Your level of banking with them isn't necessary to get it but I'm sure it won't hurt. My Plat was approved for $1k on day one as a member along with a personal loan. My cashRewards was approved four months later for $25k with a TU09 a hair over 750, and I direct-deposit less than $100 per week as my main CU is a small local one here in town. I don't spend from my account there - I use it to receive ACH transfers to pay my cards and loan through them.

Definitely let us know how your app goes - we all love a good approval Smiley Happy

Good point Diablo Smiley Wink. Though for some of that 80k is a bit out of reach lol. I guess 41k will suffice 😆 

Message 9 of 12
Raison
Established Member

I would love to hear how it goes. Im on the same timeline as you and looking possibly to add another NFCU card as well. I only have a checking and savings, and 3 CDS with them. I felt like the CDs helped my chances I could be wrong. I have only my Guard drill pay Direct deposited and occassionally I transfer funds into it. Good Luck can't wait to hear the results. Im trying hard to hold out on applying for another lol.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.