cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Amex: Am I Wasting My Time Applying After Bankruptcy?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Applying for Amex: Am I Wasting My Time Applying After Bankruptcy?

@TheBoondocks wrote:

The way I look at it, even if she added you as a AU, shes suppose to be liable for the charges. Now, if you ramped up the charges, then that's on the primary account holder. Its messed up that the primary card holder is liable even if the AU does all the spending... in this case, since you're not at fault, there's no foul. You even filed for divorce after she did that, I would have done the same. 

Now, would I pay $37K to go with amex... I heard a lot of beautiful stories about how amex always come to the rescue but everybody's situation is different. Only you could answer that for yourself.

I personally would not pay back 37k , if included in a bk, just to get back in with Amex. They may eventually let back with time and if not , there are cards out there that can fulfil ones needs just as well or better.  

Message 11 of 19
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I would apply and find out one way or another if you're on the black list.  You either get a new card or you find out your on the list and not worry about AMEX anymore.

Im wondering if my new HP from two weeks ago for my NFCU would have a huge effect on my approval odds given my current Fico9.

Message 12 of 19
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Hi OP I would say apply for it and see what happens. As an AU you are not responsible for old account. Apply and let us know what you find out. Best case you'll get a new card. No venture and no gain. Go for it and let us know.

I have heard that rather than go for the platinum or gold, that the lower level card such as the EDC is more practical. What are your thoughts?

Message 13 of 19
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

The way I look at it, even if she added you as a AU, shes suppose to be liable for the charges. Now, if you ramped up the charges, then that's on the primary account holder. Its messed up that the primary card holder is liable even if the AU does all the spending... in this case, since you're not at fault, there's no foul. You even filed for divorce after she did that, I would have done the same. 

Now, would I pay $37K to go with amex... I heard a lot of beautiful stories about how amex always come to the rescue but everybody's situation is different. Only you could answer that for yourself.

I personally would not pay back 37k , if included in a bk, just to get back in with Amex. They may eventually let back with time and if not , there are cards out there that can fulfil ones needs just as well or better.  

I agree, and a Chase Trifecta was my next goal anyway as my BK falls off in August of this year. And while my pay is much higher than it was then, 37K is a years tuition for my kid when he goes to college. No centurian lounge is worth that much money. But it would be nice to have the Platinum, as I could make it come out positivley in points and spend according to my calculations. 

Message 14 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@HeavyResist wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

Hi OP I would say apply for it and see what happens. As an AU you are not responsible for old account. Apply and let us know what you find out. Best case you'll get a new card. No venture and no gain. Go for it and let us know.

I have heard that rather than go for the platinum or gold, that the lower level card such as the EDC is more practical. What are your thoughts?

I would go for a card that would suit your needs, depending on your spending habits and lifestyle. Don't go for 'limbo stick' or low hanging fruit strategy just to 'get your foot in the door'. Absent of any potential blacklist, research the card's earnings potential and evaluate to see which one is the right fit.

Message 15 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@HeavyResist wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I would apply and find out one way or another if you're on the black list.  You either get a new card or you find out your on the list and not worry about AMEX anymore.

Im wondering if my new HP from two weeks ago for my NFCU would have a huge effect on my approval odds given my current Fico9.

This might be overthinking things a bit. If you had several inquiries on your reports within the past few months (AENB relies primarily on EX but may also HP TU from time to time), I could see some hesitation in wanting to let the dust settle. But, I would hardly think that one recent inquiry would break the camel's back. If you apply, and assuming for a moment that you're not on their blacklist, algorithms will evaluate your overall profile.

Message 16 of 19
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the perspective @FinStar. I hadn't thought about the different sources for the HP.

Message 17 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavyResist wrote:

I'll cut to the chase and ask my main question: as someone who was an authorized user on my Ex-Wife’s Amex Gold that was written off in BK, would I likely be on a blacklist? And if so, is there even a point in ever applying for an Amex. Any and all advice and data points would be appreciated.

Backstory

Of all the cards I have been looking at , Amex didn’t even enter my mind. The reason was due to the BK in 2012 we completed before our divorce.  Four years before that, my ex-wife had applied for and was issued an Amex GC. She put me on as an authorized user. The original plan was to earn points on our natural spend. However, she went above and beyond in the spending, and did so behind my back, and fast! 

She was manufacturing spend by buying high electronics and reselling them without me knowing thinking she could make a profit on eBay/Amazon. She also bought large amounts of consumer goods, and even a moped using the card.  It got out of hand and eventually led to a financial review.

In the end, the event took a hot steaming dump on Amex. All told, our bankruptcy wrote off more than $37K in debt to Amex. We were married, and in the state of Illinois at the time. We filed BK jointly prior to divorce. Due to this, I assumed I would be on the blacklist, because we had been married and I was an authorized user.

Today

Ten years later and I was playing around on the preapproval site for Amex. I figured they would kick me out automatically. However I was shown several cards to apply for based on the soft pull. The Platinum, Gold, The EDC, and the BCP, all offering big point bonuses. While I understand that soft pull prequalifying pages are hit and miss, the question remains: am I actually black listed?

To be honest, while I have heard of the Amex Optima for those trying to get back into Amex's good graces, I would never voluntariliy cough up $37K just for reward points. So am I just spinning my wheels, or should I put this idea to bed and focus on the Chase Cards I was planning on after my BK falls off and I am at 3/24 in October?

Current Data Points

Credit Scores: see picture below

Baddies: Bankruptcy Ch7 August 2012 (falls off this year), no collections

Payment history: perfect for nearly 10 years on all accounts. 

Total Available CL Reporting: $43.5K

CC Utilization: ~9.85%

DTI: 17%

AAoA: 8 years 2 Months

AoYA: 8 months

Since Amex is telling you you're prequalified, I think you could take a shot at one. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavyResist wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

You should go for the card you'll get the best value from.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.