Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Amex incognito

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for Amex incognito

I'm just curious...

I'm aware that Amex can hard pull you for a second card, so you should apply expecting a hp and be happy if it's a sp. But I also know that often you can get a second card with a sp. Just curious if you're more likely to be hp'd if applying in incognito mode? Any data points on this?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Applying for Amex incognito

If you are a current member just check under prequalified card offers, if you get you are preapproved it is almost always a SP.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/increased-american-express-credit-card-bonuses-incognito-are-back-lis...

What I do is go into the summary page for the card you're interested in for the higher SUB through incognito and then I open another tab to login to prefill everything and go back to the original tab and hit refresh and it only asks for income / assets like as if you did it originally by logging into your account and hitting recommended cards link.  It's been a SP for the couple I've done this way.

If you just go incognito and fill in the info it still will match you up with your existing profile and should still be a SP but, the extra step ensures the higher probability of a SP.

Message 3 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

More often than not it’s a SP. Applying incognito really won’t be different than applying while logged in. Once you input your info, your profile will be located. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

That method has resulted in the higher SUB? Is there a confirmation screen showing the SUB?
Message 5 of 18
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

YMMV but you can check my recent Gold and Platinum approval posts from last week when I talked about this.  I used incognito to get higher subs and did not get a HP nor a SP.  I also got the CM in April and did not get either pull for that card as well.  I think this is relationship based from the evidence I have been able to gather and speaking with 2 different reps.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incognito offers tend to be higher than a regular window for the public.  You get what you see when you hit Apply.  Screen shot it if you're worried about it but, after you're approved you can confirm with them on chat.

Message 7 of 18
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm just curious...

I'm aware that Amex can hard pull you for a second card, so you should apply expecting a hp and be happy if it's a sp. But I also know that often you can get a second card with a sp. Just curious if you're more likely to be hp'd if applying in incognito mode? Any data points on this?

I have been an AMEX cc customer for a few years and I just applied for the Hilton Honors Ascend in the past week via an incognito tab to get a higher SUB and received no HP. I was pre-approved for it while logged in and that has never resulted in a HP for me previously.

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 8 of 18
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@SwarthyOgre wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm just curious...

I have been an AMEX cc customer for a few years and I just applied for the Hilton Honors Ascend in the past week via an incognito tab to get a higher SUB and received no HP. 

Did you get a SP or not that either?

Message 9 of 18
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

This information is good to know. Thank you OP for the original question and everyone for the responses!   Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.