cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for FIRST unsecured next month (April 2019) -- any suggestions which card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for FIRST unsecured next month (April 2019) -- any suggestions which card?

Hi All,

I'm going to apply for my first "real" unsecured next month when my scores reach 670-680 since I don't have any unsecured cards yet with the exception of Fingerhut (but I don't count that one as "real" card). The following 2 CC were recommended so I'm looking for any good (or bad) experiences with either of these: American Express Everyday or Discover Cash Back Match.

As of today, my current scores are: EQ: 663, EX: 661 and TU: 665 and my existing debts are:

• Fingerhut $300 limit (Balance $80 to establish payment history)
  • BoA Secured card Limit $500 (Bal $0)
  • Student Loans $201K - paid on time
  • Mortgage $212K - paid on time
  • Auto-loan $23K @ 7% (opened Nov'18) - paid on time

Opened to establish history:

• Self Lender certificate of deposit $1K (opened Feb'19)

Any other cards you'd recommend?

4 REPLIES 4
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Applying for FIRST unsecured next month (April 2019) -- any suggestions which card?

I’d definitely say to go for the Discover. That cashback match is awesome and Disco tends to give high SLs comparatively. Good luck and congrats on building credit!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for FIRST unsecured next month (April 2019) -- any suggestions which card?

Thank you for the recommendation! I'm hoping my scores are high enough for a decent CL.

Curious to know what your quote means at the bottom of your siggy...what's a "berner"? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation! I'm hoping my scores are high enough for a decent CL.

Curious to know what your quote means at the bottom of your siggy...what's a "berner"? Smiley Happy

Bernese Mountain Dog lol. The greatest dog to walk this planet. And I’m not biased. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bernese Mountain Dog lol. The greatest dog to walk this planet. And I’m not biased. 

My mind always went to the other burn lol

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.