Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a AMEX Personal Credit Card

tag
leo187um
New Contributor

Applying for a AMEX Personal Credit Card

My credit score is 730 on Experian/Transunion.

I applied for a AMEX business gold account on 11/7/2022 and got rejected. 

My oldest account (which I closed stupidly) is 2.2 years old (FNBO 3000 limit).

My oldest active account is 11 months old (Bank of America).

At the moment I have three credit cards open: BoA Unlimited Cash VISA credit card (6000 limit), US Bank Cash VISA Signature (2000 limit), and Chase freedom (500 limit). New to the credit card game, I opened a CreditOne, Indigo, and Premium One Credit (all sub 500 limits) after I opened the Chase; I have closed these three cards as they have low limits, annual fees, and overall subprime image.

I also have an Upstart personal loan I opened on 3/2022 (7800 balance), and paid off two Opportun personal loans.

The rejection letter stated that I have too many hard inquiries over the past 12 months, and too many consumer loan accounts (the three subprime crdeit cards and one Opportun loan was still reporting when I applied). I also made the mistake of applying for a business credit card before applying for a personal credit card with Amex.

I was thinking that applying for the Amex Platinum Card around Apr/May 2023 would be the bets decision (have some time from my recent inquiry) . Wanted your guys' advice as to whether I should pay off my Upstart loan before applying as consumer finance accounts seem to have a bad image even despite my high credit score; would it matter if I only had one Upstart account as long as I make my payments each month? Also, is there a good credit card you guys can recommend with a 0% APR to go alongside my AMEX Platinum? I want to ensure that I can apply for another Chase card after 11/2023 taking into account Chase's 5/24 rule..

Thanks!

52 REPLIES 52
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Applying for a AMEX Personal Credit Card

Um, so how many inquiries DO you have? Will just 6 months help? If AmEx rejected you, I'd personally say garden for 12 months instead of 6.

Unfortunately, the subprime cards were a bad idea since you already had good cards with good issuers (Chase, US Bank, BofA)... but closing them so quickly was a worse idea. This makes you look sketchy to issuers. Especially since none of your current accounts are over a year old now.

Garden. Breathe in, and out, and don't think about new cards for awhile. You have some solid ones, let them grow (you can request a soft pull CLI from BofA if you haven't already, every 6 months) and get in their good graces. Hopefully with some gardening the appearance of "churning" with the subprime cards will disappear. I think the loan will be a non-issue as long as you are on top of payments, once things age a bit/fall off.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear.

SD - Biz -
Message 2 of 53
leo187um
New Contributor

No worries - appreciate the honesty, but 1 year gardening... seems like a very long time....

Also, why would closing three subprime **bleep**ty cards make me look sketchy - I wouldve thought closing these subprime cards would make me look less risky as long I use the premium three cards responsibly with a 1-4% utilization?

In terms of gardening period strategy:

- I opened a Amex Savings and CD recently; is depositting 1000/month going forward effective in building that relationship come application time (the CD has a very good yield so looks sattractive anyways)?

- With Chase, I recently opened a CD and deposited 1000 in it...I've had a checkings/savings/credit card all back in 11/2021..what would be the optimal strategy for me to build a strong relationship so I could get one of their premium cards (Sapphire Reserve and eventually business Ink); I recently applied for a credit limit increase via app but got rejected - when should I ask for another one? 

I had 11 inquiries but three (BoA, USBank, Chase) will roll off after November... I heard disputing and getting the hard inquiries removed (for consumer finance companies where I don't have any open accounts or didnt get approvals) is relatively easy and may help, do you advise me do this? 

Also, heard that cleaning up my personal profile (my current reports have my old addresses - alot of them) to just include my current address helps; do you recommend this? Is it ok if I put a virtual address as my mailing address I have on credit reports? 

Thank you!

Message 3 of 53
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@leo187um wrote:

No worries - appreciate the honesty, but 1 year gardening... seems like a very long time....

Also, why would closing three subprime **bleep**ty cards make me look sketchy - I wouldve thought closing these subprime cards would make me look less risky as long I use the premium three cards responsibly with a 1-4% utilization?

- I opened a Amex Savings and CD recently; is depositting 1000/month going forward effective in building that relationship come application time (the CD has a very good yield so looks sattractive anyways)?

- With Chase, I recently opened a CD and deposited 1000 in it...I've had a checkings/savings/credit card all back in 11/2021..what would be the optimal strategy for me to build a strong relationship so I could get one of their premium cards (Sapphire Reserve and eventually business Ink); I recently applied for a credit limit increase via app but got rejected - when should I ask for another one? 

I had 11 inquiries but three (BoA, USBank, Chase) will roll off after November... I heard disputing and getting the hard inquiries removed (for consumer finance companies where I don't have any open accounts or didnt get approvals) is relatively easy and may help, do you advise me do this? 

Also, heard that cleaning up my personal profile (my current reports have my old addresses - alot of them) to just include my current address helps; do you recommend this? Is it ok if I put a virtual address as my mailing address I have on credit reports? 

Thank you!

Then you are getting bad advice. First, it's not easy at all and also not ethical to Dispute legitimate Hard INQ's. Next, No you don't want to use a "virual" i.e. Fake mailing address "suite" type of deal as those addresses are normally flagged for the Credit Bureaus (and lots of lenders as well) as such and will actually hurt you. You also misunderstand the credit reporting. First Closed Accounts remain on your Credit Reports for up to10 years. So, that still helps and applies to your AAOA's. Then next those Consumer Finance accounts won't "fall off" until the standard 7 years past the last payment/PO/activity has passed. So they are they to stay. While they do hurt some with lenders your biggest issue with AmEx is your very short credit history combined with all of the INQ and new credit. It appears to AmEx (and is even according to your own post) what they refer to as "Credit Seeking Behavior" and that is a nail to the heart when it comes to getting new credit with lenders. Like the advice you were given you need to Garden for a while wih zero new apps for new credit. At least 9-12 months. While you are doing that you need to build your exsisting files by usage and PIF.

You also need to aks yourself "why" you want the Platinum Card? You say you closed cards simply because they had AF's. Well, the Platinum Card has a $695 AF. It's also a "Travel" card is where all of it's perks really are. It's not by any means an every day use card as the returns are not gear toward that. The Gold or even Green card's are. If you travel by air a lot with a lot menaing at least 4 of more times a year then the card is for you. If you don't then it's not the right card. IF you want it for "status symbol" well that's a bad financial move, but you do you.

You'll get GREAT advice on here form lots of good folks that have built the credit the right way. IF you listen to them and do as they say you will too. The biggest thing is to remember that are NO SHORTCUTS in properly building good credit. It's a long 2-3 year process. Think of it as a Marathon and not a Sprint race.

Good luck and welcome to the Forums!

Message 4 of 53
leo187um
New Contributor

I go back and forth between the US and Japan and spend in Japan a lot so cards with no overseas fees have a lot of value to me.

My ultimate goal is getting high limit credit funding via business credit so trying to position myself the best I can..

Message 5 of 53
mrphilli
Established Member

@leo187um wrote:

Thank you!

All other things equal... If you had the choice of lending money to one of the following people, who would you choose to lend money to?

- Person 1, who hasn't applied for any credit or loan products in the last year or so, or

- Person 2, who has applied for several new credit or loan products in the last year and continues to seek out more.

All other things equal (again), I'd pick Person 1. I'd want to do business with someone who has the appearance of consistency when it comes to credit seeking behaviors. It is a way for me to mitigate risk. This would especially be true if I found out Person 2 had closed some of those newer accounts. Why would I want to join the list of others whose relationships were suddenly severed?

If someone told me they opened and closed three accounts in a short period of time, I would consider them to be impulsive. And I don't say that to be rude. I think the majority of users who are on myFICO have "that itch" to play the credit game, so you're in good company here.

But, where this becomes an issue is how you went about your application strategy. You got three prime companies to issue you products, then went backwards and applied for products from three subprime companies. Why did you apply for credit with them? You don't have to answer it here, but definitely consider this question: What was your goal with those applications?

You listed how they have "low limits, annual fees, and [an] overall subprime image," but...

- Did you look at the annual fee section of the disclosures when going through the application?

- Did you research these companies before you hit the "Apply" button?

- Did you consider that, as you submitted more applications for credit, your starting limits got lower and lower (from $6,000 to $2,000 to $500 to sub-$500)?

Gardening is an important tool when it comes to credit management. @unsungivy and @bigseegar crushed it with their respective responses. I don't know much about having hard inquiries removed from your credit report, but I feel like the dispute process for inquiries is intended for victims of fraudulent activity. You applied for those accounts and closed them knowingly. As the old saying goes... "You've made your [garden] bed, now lie in it."

Regarding your AMEX savings and CD accounts... Does AMEX offer soft pull applications (or, soft pull denials and hard pull approvals) for those who have non-credit card accounts with them? I've read about AMEX and soft pull pre-approvals in the past, but only in the context of current cardholders. I'm sure someone else here can provide some insight on this, but it might be a way to gauge when you're ready to successfully apply with them after you do some gardening.

Message 6 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@leo187um wrote:

Off topic, the yield is OK but not great, there are lots paying over 4% for a 1 year 1 Year CD Rates | November 2022 | Compare 1 Year Certificates of Deposit (depositaccounts.com)

But probably much better than Chase!

Message 7 of 53
leo187um
New Contributor

Not to sound like an arrogant **bleep** but I'm 34 now and have cash to garden. I'm thinking if I deposit a bunch of cash in chase and Amex (20kusd ) that'll be enough to show them I got the cash.

Ive been an expat since I was 21 (closed a boa credit card I had when I left the states); came back to the states last Nov for work and executive mba. I opened the three bank accounts and applied for the credit cards at all three institutions.

i got a bunch of credit card pre approvals in the mail and applied to them not knowing about the credit card game (recently started watching YouTubers about the game/strategy). I don't think the average person knows what are premium cards vs subprime cards nor the impact of hard inquiries on future applications. 

Message 8 of 53
leo187um
New Contributor

Person 1 or 2 ...I would think the how much money the perceived applicant has and how often and how much he uses the card, alongside his history of timely payments would be the key. If the applicant has low utilization and high usage, the number of applications wouldn't matter to me hence the importance of deposits. 

why would person 1 need the new card after a year of being quiet? 

Message 9 of 53
leo187um
New Contributor

More about the relationship with a premium institution like Amex while gettin good yield... looks really good after years of zero yields haha

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.