cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a Balance Transfer Card (with zero interest for a specified time period)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for a Balance Transfer Card (with zero interest for a specified time period)

Two Questions! 

(1) Is there any way -- other than completing and submitting a credit card application -- to find out what the credit limit will be on the new card?  If that credit limit is substantially less than the balance I want to transfer to the new card, I don't want it.

(2)  All the cards I've looked at for this purpose say in the fine print that the amount of the balance transfer allowed will be "at their discretion".  I understand that the amount of the balance transfer cannot exceed the credit limit.  However, "at their discretion" seems to mean that the card issuer retains the right to impose (an arbitrary?) balance transfer limit that's lower than the new card's credit limit.  How can I find out -- before the new card is issued -- whether or not the card issuer is going to do that?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Applying for a Balance Transfer Card (with zero interest for a specified time period)

Short answer, no and you cant. Otherwise wed be picking our bt cards much more strategicallySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for a Balance Transfer Card (with zero interest for a specified time period)

Welcome and no, no way...sorry.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks; that's what I thought.  With FICO scores above 750, I am optimistic about being approved when I apply for a zero interest BT card.  However, in view of the uncertanties regarding credit limits and BT limits, I'm thinking about applying for two or three new BT cards.  If I were to do that, would it matter if I applied for all three at the same time?  "Looking for credit" seems to be red flag that hurts FICO scores.  Is there any downnside to "looking for credit" in three places at once?  (Alternativelly, if the first card turned out to have high enough limits for my purpose, I'd just stop at one card but -- if it didn't -- then I'd have to apply for a second card...)

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the CL that you need to do the BT? 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

$16,000.   I have that now on a zero interest "Chase Freedom Unlimited" card with a CL of $22,000.  That zero interest deal runs out on Oct 10th and I'd hate to start paying interest then.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ummm, if you're not under 5/24 rule with Chase, why not apply for the Chase Slate? 0% for 15 months and no AF.  

Citi Diamond Preferred has the 0% APR for 21 months

Citi Simplicity 21 months

Wells Fargo Platinum 18 months

Barclay Ring 15 months

Message 7 of 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ummm, if you're not under 5/24 rule with Chase, why not apply for the Chase Slate? 0% for 15 months and no AF.  

Barclay Ring 15 months

The OP is carrying a balance on a Chase card so even if he or she were to get approved for the Slate, it wouldn't do them any good as you can't transfer the balance within the same lender. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay Ring 15 months

The OP is carrying a balance on a Chase card so even if he or she were to get approved for the Slate, it wouldn't do them any good as you can't transfer the balance within the same lender. 

True, completely forgot, thanks! Smiley Happy

Say OP gets the Slate for $20k CL, can get write a check to himself from the Slate, pay off the other Chase CC?

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op, any chance you can get in NavyFed or Penfed Credit Unions?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.