Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a CC when frozen

tag
NC84
Regular Contributor

Applying for a CC when frozen

I applied for a cc with 2 out 3 bureaus frozen and got an email from the cc company that my account had to be unfrozen to continue. How long do these bureaus have to be frozen before pending cc applications expire? Does this mean if I lift the freeze it will automatically hard pull?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Applying for a CC when frozen

Typically, you have to unfreeze then call the creditor to continue / complete the app over the phone, then you'll get the hard pull. The pull won't occur unless you notify them that the report is unfrozen. Once you see the HP hit your reports, you can re-freeze.

Pending app expiration varies by creditor - anywhere from 7-30 days.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 5
NC84
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info! 

Message 3 of 5
jim44
Established Contributor

@NC84 wrote:

I applied for a cc with 2 out 3 bureaus frozen and got an email from the cc company that my account had to be unfrozen to continue. How long do these bureaus have to be frozen before pending cc applications expire? Does this mean if I lift the freeze it will automatically hard pull?

I'm a bit naive here but why does a person freeze their CB accts?  Is it to avoid soft pulls for preapproved offers?  If so, isn't there an "opt out' form you can complete that prevents creditors from offering you preapproval offers?  Just curious.  

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jim44 wrote:

@NC84 wrote:

I'm a bit naive here but why does a person freeze their CB accts?  Is it to avoid soft pulls for preapproved offers?  If so, isn't there an "opt out' form you can complete that prevents creditors from offering you preapproval offers?  Just curious.  

It’s to prevent hard pulls so people can’t open new accounts in your name. 

Although it does prevent SPs for new creditors other than the SPs for prescreened offers — in fact Synchrony can’t process a CLI request if your TU is frozen. 

Some of us in the garden put our files on ice so that we can’t app for things. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.