Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved For a Card I Don't Want.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved For a Card I Don't Want.

In my quest for a balance transfer card this evening, I applied for a Capital One Savor card. I was rewarded with a 1k SL which is useless to me. I then applied for an Elan Platinum Visa and was approved for a $9,500 limit which more than covers the amount I was looking to transfer. The Savor card is no good to me at all. Is there any way that I can cancel the card before it hits my credit report or am I stuck with it?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved For a Card I Don't Want.

Youre stuck with it. And since you paid 3 HP for it, I’d personally keep it for at least a year.

Sorry about your approval 🤷🏽‍♀️

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You applied and got the chance to earn $300 or $500 for spending on it.  Take the free money, hold onto it until they want the AF and then PC it to something w/o an AF.

Once you're approved there's no real way to rescind it w/o it showing up on your CR.

Message 3 of 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Curious as to why you got a $1k SL on the Savor card. I just double checked and minimum starting line according to T&C is $2k

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Curious as to why you got a $1k SL on the Savor card. I just double checked and minimum starting line according to T&C is $2k

It’s likely the Savor One, not the Savor, since there is talk of a BT and the Savor has no intro APR. 

Also I thought the Savor was $5K minimum like the Venture. If they have changed that to $2K, that sucks. 

Message 5 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

It’s too late for your credit unfortunately. You already took the HPs and the new account will show regardless. However, don’t feel bad about closing it right away. I have done that before. I closed a card before I even got the physical card in the mail. I don’t hold onto worthless cards lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

It’s likely the Savor One, not the Savor, since there is talk of a BT and the Savor has no intro APR. 

Also I thought the Savor was $5K minimum like the Venture. If they have changed that to $2K, that sucks. 

Double checked all three because I was curious and minimum starting limits: SavorOne - $1k, Savor - $2k, Venture - $5k

Good call on SavorOne app and yeah dunno if the Savor was ever $5k to begin with but it's not now

Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my quest for a balance transfer card this evening, I applied for a Capital One Savor card. I was rewarded with a 1k SL which is useless to me. I then applied for an Elan Platinum Visa and was approved for a $9,500 limit which more than covers the amount I was looking to transfer. The Savor card is no good to me at all. Is there any way that I can cancel the card before it hits my credit report or am I stuck with it?

Thanks! 

3% cash back on dining and entertainment, with no annual fee, sounds pretty good to me. I would keep it, and use it for the cash back.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Double checked all three because I was curious and minimum starting limits: SavorOne - $1k, Savor - $2k, Venture - $5k

Good call on SavorOne app and yeah dunno if the Savor was ever $5k to begin with but it's not now

Thanks for posting the $2K minimum on the Savor, I have zero interest in getting one now. With $3K to hit the SUB, it’s awful that you can get a $2K limit. Saved me some future HPs. 

Message 9 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Thanks for posting the $2K minimum on the Savor, I have zero interest in getting one now. With $3K to hit the SUB, it’s awful that you can get a $2K limit. Saved me some future HPs. 

That plus Capital One is really picky about approving the Savor to begin with.

As far as OP, the damage is done. The HPs are there and the account will report even if you close it immediately. That said, it really doesn't matter either way. It will just report as a positive tradeline with no payment history, which isn't going to help or hurt anything. If you truly find the card useless, it's ok to move on.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.