Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AmEx Platinum but not the Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for AmEx Platinum but not the Gold

Thanks phantom, there are a couple thing to add.

In the past, I went through some tough times and used a coupe revolver cards a while ago. I have have steadily been paying them down over the course of time. I even got approved for another BT card with a decent limit to spread out my balances(and save on interest). According to my app, my current credit utilization is at 17%. I didn’t think this was noteworthy but it’s worth a mention in the discussion.

I also have a recent HP on my report that I don’t recognized that I’m currently disputing.
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update for anyone curious about this. I called and talked to them and they stated the reason for the denial was because of returned mid-cycle payment. My bank changed my account number a little bit ago and endded up putting the old one. They said to wait 30 days after the returned payment date and re-apply, but the nice lady documented what we talked about and put in a reconsideration request to see what happens.  

Message 12 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update for anyone curious about this. I called and talked to them and they stated the reason for the denial was because of returned mid-cycle payment. My bank changed my account number a little bit ago and endded up putting the old one. They said to wait 30 days after the returned payment date and re-apply, but the nice lady documented what we talked about and put in a reconsideration request to see what happens.  

Yep, that will do it every time.

Had you mentioned the returned payment in your original post we could have helped you figure this out sooner. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 25
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

My numbers were close to yours and I was immediately approved for the AMEX Gold.  They kept sending my mailings for the Platinum, so I attempted to upgrade.  I was told I needed to wait 13 months after opening the Gold, but I could apply for it.  Instant approval.  

I also have the BCE which was my first AMEX card and have had if for over 2 years.  Not sure if that made a difference of not.  

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 14 of 25
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

If the purpose of the Gold card is for your wife to use while you are out of the county, would it now make more sense to add her as a AU on the Platinum?    

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

She is an AU for the Platinum Card, but the Gold Card is better suited for normal everyday expenses ie. MR point multipliers.
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE the reconsideration reault came back and I was again declined. So I waited for the 30 (31 days if I'm not mistaken) and reapplied again on Nov 21 to be declined. At this point I was conviced it was a mistake and again asked for a reconsideration to which it was declined as well. Am I missing someting the letter online said "We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because our records indicate that a payment was returned in the past 30 days." I called and verified the date of the returned payment (Oct 21st) and all they could say is to wait it out and reapply at a later date. 

I dont understand. 

Also, is the phone number listed in the letter a different department than the status phone number?

Message 17 of 25
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE the reconsideration reault came back and I was again declined. So I waited for the 30 (31 days if I'm not mistaken) and reapplied again on Nov 21 to be declined. At this point I was conviced it was a mistake and again asked for a reconsideration to which it was declined as well. Am I missing someting the letter online said "We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because our records indicate that a payment was returned in the past 30 days." I called and verified the date of the returned payment (Oct 21st) and all they could say is to wait it out and reapply at a later date. 

I dont understand. 

Also, is the phone number listed in the letter a different department than the status phone number?

Not to be unhelpful or cold, but I have two pieces of advice:

• Never let a payment be returned to a credit card company for any reason, ever. They'll never forget it.
  • Why not wait a few months? If all you need is a second card for someone else, add an AU to your existing Plat.

Best of luck. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 25
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont understand. 

What don't you understand? You had a payment returned. This is a cardinal no-no. You might consider not seeking more credit from them for a bit, while they try to recover from this unforgivable, despicable sin you've committed against them.

They don't care why your payment was returned. It's your responsibility to do that correctly(it usually even says this right on the payment screen).

(Also, a really good reason to initiate payments from your bank's side, instead of through the card's side. If it were to fail for some reason, the card vendor would never see the payment attempt.)

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 19 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if the reconsideration efforts yielded no positive results (twice) it's time to heed the advice given. Wait things out and reapply at some point down the road.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.