Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Apple Card and Turned It Down

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Apple Card Pre-Approval

I understand. There is nothing wrong with wanting more, as long you understand that more will come in increments for most people. 

Hopefully the cards you have are with lenders that will allow them to grow, but if not, you should look for another one, providing you can combine how useful card would be to you with "friendliness" towards rebuilders 

If apple card is useless to you at this time, you've made the right choice 

Message 131 of 205
parzivalmx
Valued Member

Yeah, I was surprised when they approved me for the CSR with a $15K CL and my higest was my Gold Delta Amex at $5k

US Cards

Mexico Cards
Message 132 of 205
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

I was pre-approved with a $4,000 CL and 23.74% APR.

TU FICO 8 - 688; Income - Mid 100k

I declined it as I am 3/24 and didn't want to use a slot at this time.

If it was a 5k timeline, I would consider it, a 10k, probably

would have grabbed it as my highest CLs right now is $2000 & $1900.

Concur with @Remedios that it's hard jumping from $2000 to $10,000.

If you're looking for higher limits, Apple card is not one to choose.  They probably won't even offer something close to your existing "average" credit line.  Goldman-Sachs has been notoriously stingy with CLs on new apps and most applicants have been disappointed.  (Most of my other credit lines were between $25K and $50K when they approved me for SL of only $20K.)  Discover, Navy Federal, and AMEX would all be better places to start with seeking higher-than-average CLs, from my readings of it. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 133 of 205
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

I was pre-approved with a $4,000 CL and 23.74% APR.

TU FICO 8 - 688; Income - Mid 100k

I declined it as I am 3/24 and didn't want to use a slot at this time.

If it was a 5k timeline, I would consider it, a 10k, probably

would have grabbed it as my highest CLs right now is $2000 & $1900.

Concur with @Remedios that it's hard jumping from $2000 to $10,000.

If you're looking for higher limits, Apple card is not one to choose.  They probably won't even offer something close to your existing "average" credit line.  Goldman-Sachs has been notoriously stingy with CLs on new apps and most applicants have been disappointed.  (Most of my other credit lines were between $25K and $50K when they approved me for SL of only $20K.)  Discover, Navy Federal, and AMEX would all be better places to start with seeking higher-than-average CLs, from my readings of it. 

That is good to know. I have Discover, a Capital One Secured Platinum (almost 9 months old), and a Barclays Uber VISA. With Barclays being a hard pull, the Capital One Secured, it looks like my best bet is either Discover or another new card. I was curious to see with my increased credit score and income, Apple via Goldman Sachs would give me a higher CL. My next apps are a couple of business cards and perhaps the CIP after I get my scores above 700 with a bit more aging.

I would go AMEX but I think I'm still on their Blacklist although I have not tried recently.

Message 134 of 205
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly $4K goes a lot further than $2K does towards showing Chase you can handle $5K+. 

Message 135 of 205
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly $4K goes a lot further than $2K does towards showing Chase you can handle $5K+. 

I'll have to consider this when it's time to apply for Chase. Thanks. I figure I can be patient and the Apple offer is potentially there later. Perhaps I get a Disco or Barclays (HP) CLI by then to help me bridge the gap. 

Message 136 of 205
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:Goldman-Sachs has been notoriously stingy with CLs on new apps ... Discover, Navy Federal, and AMEX would all be better places to start with seeking higher-than-average CLs, from my readings of it. 

That is good to know. I have Discover, a Capital One Secured Platinum (almost 9 months old), and a Barclays Uber VISA. With Barclays being a hard pull, the Capital One Secured, it looks like my best bet is either Discover or another new card. I was curious to see with my increased credit score and income, Apple via Goldman Sachs would give me a higher CL. My next apps are a couple of business cards and perhaps the CIP after I get my scores above 700 with a bit more aging.

I would go AMEX but I think I'm still on their Blacklist although I have not tried recently.

You're welcome.  Yes, the Capital One may (or may not) grow out of the secured bucket from what I've read, but I never had their secured.  Regular Capital One cards will grow ... but slowly and only with regular use before you apply for CLI.  Discover grows more quickly, with or without use from my experience.  If you study the profiles of members and also watch the "Approvals" section closely for DPs, you'll see how different banks award SLs and grow over time.  They can be quite different.  For example, US Bank is another major lender who tends to set low SCLs and slow CLIs.  Wells Fargo isn't known for super-high limits either.  Bank of America, once you get in with them, can grow credit lines moderately fast over time with some use.  (Cash Rewards or Bankamericard, for example.)  Chase has strict underwriting, has moderate SLs, and will grow over time but it is usually slowly in my experience.  In time, Chase limits can be fairly high.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 137 of 205
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I applied again and it let me but I put in my 10-99 contractor salary which puts me over 200k and I received the same salary limit.

Either they used the same saved information (although it asked all the questions again) or my salary increase did not matter. And before anyone asks, not worried about providing the IRS forms if needed.
Message 138 of 205
cr101
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for Apple Card and Turned It Down

When I saw "EDIT" in your post, I thought that you caved in and got the card Smiley LOL

Message 139 of 205
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Card Approval

Hey guys, this is my first ever post I’ve made on this site. I started building my credit a month after turning 18, I am turning 20 next month. I started with Capital One SEC ($250) increased to ($500) but then got closed due to returned payments and some fraud issues I had. It shows payed in full no derogatory marks on my report. I then got a Discover It Cash Back ($500) which has gone up to ($2600), Forever 21 Store Card ($500), and Wells Fargo Propel ($1500) 3 months ago, I tried my luck with the AMEX Hilton Honors Card considering I had an AMEX issued card through Wells Fargo, but was a no go even after Recon. Although these cards have Intro Apr, I did get stuck with the highest interest rate on all. I have been reading many posts on here since I found this site, mostly for advice on what to do about certain credit decisions. Anyways, last night i found out you could see what terms you could get approved for on the new Apple Credit Card with just a soft pull, which is amazing! I did the standard application, scanned front and back of my Id, and got the “application is under review, will be notified through notification or email” message. I figured maybe they just had to manually review it so I didn’t worry. This morning I received the notification, and was approved for $3,800 Limit with 23.74% Apr, Nice! Now, my concern is wether I should accept or not considering I just got approved for my Auto Loan refinance from 15.4% Apr to 4.6% about 2 days ago. Still haven’t made the first payment and established my account which will be on Jan 5. I’m wondering if that will influence anything else with the card approval if I accept and then it gives me the HP, or I have already been accepted and just have to agree to the terms. Also, should I wait to reapply at another time considering I got the highest interest? or should I just snag my fancy new Titanium apple card Smiley Wink .

Note: I would also appreciate any advice on how to keep building my credit and any auto refinance advice and what credit moves should I make next in terms of applying and maintaining my credit!

Current Fico Scores as of 11/11/19
Transunion : 740
Equifax : 744
Experian : 718

Transunion HP’s : 7
Equifax HP’s : 14
Experian HP’s : 11

Accounts Open: 6

No Late Payments, Baddies, or Derogatory Marks.
Message 140 of 205
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.