cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are PNC and Barclays student and low income friendly?

tag
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Are PNC and Barclays student and low income friendly?

My college student DD and I are evaluating some new cards for her to apply for this weekend.  She already has a Disco Chrome Student that is 1y1m old, and a AMEX BCE that is 9m old.  Both have been great, but AMEX is not utilized much at all (mainly got it due to the ability to grow via 3x).

Her spend is mainly eating out and gas, along with mostly non-category type of spend.  She needs a more accepted card, such as Visa and MC.  She has on occassion found places that don't accept Disco nor AMEX.

Her income will be around $16k after starting her new job with her college.  I believe she was approved for the Disco and AMEX with only a $6k income last year.  We will discuss changing her Chrome to an IT if any success with below card apps.

I'm thinking of suggesting the below cards for her to look at, and she may attempt a mini-spree of 2 or 3 cards.  This concerns me for the Chase Freedom, so I'm not sure if she should even have it on the list or not. Thinking of doing the spree so that she will have gardened for a couple of years prior to graduating (that's the plan, anyway).

What are your thoughts or experiences with any of these for a college, low income applicant?  Her FICO 8 scores are over 730, but should be higher after going AZEO after AMEX reported yesterday (if AZEO is a thing for 2 cards plus 3 AU cards).

If she goes for the 2 or 3 card spree, then does the below appear to be the correct order for applying?

• Chase Freedom (just because its C H A S E !!)
  • PNC Cash Rewards (simple one card approach for Gas (4%) and Dining (3%) + SUB
  • Barclays Carnival (can get a $250 SUB immediately with no spend due to a booked cruise, but not much use other than this)
  • NFCU More Rewards (AMEX, so not ideal... but probably could get a nice SL)

My prefence would be PNC and Carnival now.  NFCU can be down the line in a few months if needed, or as a backup if PNC or Carnival is denied.  Chase will have to wait, but that's fine.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Are PNC and Barclays student and low income friendly?

If Barclays and PNC are the target cards, I would go for them first. In that order. Barclays and spree don't belong in the same sentence. 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 5
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

The PNC cash rewards is a good card I have my eye on. If you have an account with them that increases your chances a tiny bit and according to the manager at the local PNC by me, you get a better shot if u apply in person. PNC uses Experian fico 9 and the manager told me that the minimum score is 660 and told me to personally wait until I'm around 680 or 690 to apply. I've been patiently waiting to apply for this card for months, my score should be there soon.

As somebody else mentioned, it's always a good rule of thumb to app the card u want most first. The more inquires u start stacking up the harder it is to get approved. It's also good to consider how inquiry friendly or unfriendly a bank is. I've heard PNC can be touchy about too many inquires but it all depends on overall profile. Good luck!

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
Citi Custom Cash - $6,600
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
Chase slate (AU) - $3,000
Chase Freedom Flex - $11,100
Lowes Advantage card - $10,000
PNC poop points- $4,500
2 student loans 93% paid off
AMEX loan only 7% paid off so far
Total current Utilization among all accounts- 20%

Message 3 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Some would disagree! I'd stay away from Barclays. Had Uber for 1 year, CS was awful. JMHO

Barclays is also notorious for CLD when they think you have high utilization.

PNC is a great bank. They are relationship focused, and very conservative. Great service!!

If you do Chase, I wouldn't spree with them. I'd app for that, then wait 6 months before another app. Make sure to remember 5/24 rule.

Message 4 of 5
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

My college student DD and I are evaluating some new cards for her to apply for this weekend.  She already has a Disco Chrome Student that is 1y1m old, and a AMEX BCE that is 9m old.  Both have been great, but AMEX is not utilized much at all (mainly got it due to the ability to grow via 3x).

Her spend is mainly eating out and gas, along with mostly non-category type of spend.  She needs a more accepted card, such as Visa and MC.  She has on occassion found places that don't accept Disco nor AMEX.

Her income will be around $16k after starting her new job with her college.  I believe she was approved for the Disco and AMEX with only a $6k income last year.  We will discuss changing her Chrome to an IT if any success with below card apps.

I'm thinking of suggesting the below cards for her to look at, and she may attempt a mini-spree of 2 or 3 cards.  This concerns me for the Chase Freedom, so I'm not sure if she should even have it on the list or not. Thinking of doing the spree so that she will have gardened for a couple of years prior to graduating (that's the plan, anyway).

What are your thoughts or experiences with any of these for a college, low income applicant?  Her FICO 8 scores are over 730, but should be higher after going AZEO after AMEX reported yesterday (if AZEO is a thing for 2 cards plus 3 AU cards).

If she goes for the 2 or 3 card spree, then does the below appear to be the correct order for applying?

• Chase Freedom (just because its C H A S E !!)
  • PNC Cash Rewards (simple one card approach for Gas (4%) and Dining (3%) + SUB
  • Barclays Carnival (can get a $250 SUB immediately with no spend due to a booked cruise, but not much use other than this)
  • NFCU More Rewards (AMEX, so not ideal... but probably could get a nice SL)

My prefence would be PNC and Carnival now.  NFCU can be down the line in a few months if needed, or as a backup if PNC or Carnival is denied.  Chase will have to wait, but that's fine.

I would use caution when applying for a credit card. While some banks maybe nice, but could be very strick on CLI. For example, I gotten a very good tip about Bank of America's Cash Rewards card from another thread. Someone applied for the student version and hasn't gotten an increase while the normal version of the card is pulling like weeds for CLI.

If you are just helping her to get her rewards, I would just change Discover Chrome to the IT bc next quarter (if I recall) is gas so it would not matter if you apply for PNC at that moment. As for the Amex card, you should have her chat online or phone up Amex to see if she can get it to switch to a Cash Magnet for 1.5%. You said that she isn't big using it for groceries so switch it to something that can help her in the meantime. I got accepted into Amex with the BCE and switch it within the month because I just realized that I won't be spending big on groceries any time soon.

On top of everything you have said, if it was me, I would apply for a Chase card (Freedom or Freedom Unlimited) for her to get rid of the 5/24 or you can have her go into a branch and apply for the Freedom Student (bring paperwork to show college status) and go from that route. Freedom Student is 1% and is good for 5 years of the bonus. If she is done with it, she can always PC it to freedom or unlimited. By the time that happens if you do Freedom Student, 5 out of 10 first month of paid on time can give an increase to the credit line for her. It should be enough time to wait 6 months and go after PNC.

But hey, it is just my opinion.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.