Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB&T CC Pre-Qualification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BB&T CC Pre-Qualification

Can anyone tell me what kind of requirements they have? They've been beating down my door via email with pre-qualifications. I was in the branch about a month ago to set up an IRA and the banker said I was pre-selcted for a credit card. I declined knowing my profile situation and I didn't want to get embarrassed. Oddly enough ever since then I've been getting emails every couple weeks.

Today I received another email and finally got up the nerve to complete the application. I hit the submit button and received a message that I must visit a branch to complete my application. So I called up the 800 number and spoke to a nice gentleman who checked to see if I had anything in his system but my SSN showed nothing. He said those happen all the time but I'd have to apply at the branch. I asked him what the requirements are and he said he's never seen someone get turned down if they had a prequalifcation. He said they accept people barley over 600 all the time. 

I'm a little leary of this. I do have my checking, savings and IRA there so maybe that helps? My offers from BB&T were as follows: 

Spectrum Cash Rewards - 0% APR first 12mo and then 21.24% after

Specturm Travel Rewards - 20,000 bonus miles if I spend $2k first 90 days and then 21.24%

Bright Card - 0% APR first 15 months and then 19.24%

I recently applied for every PenFed card  possible and was denied. Then reconed to them all and was denied. I was approved for NFCU last weekend with $1,000 limit. I add that to Discover, Capital One, Open Sky and Green Dot $200 secured. Would just like to get another secured and then garden until June of next year. My old lates on my auto will fall off in April and some HP's falling around then. 

I value any insight - thanks! 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BB&T CC Pre-Qualification

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone tell me what kind of requirements they have? They've been beating down my door via email with pre-qualifications. I was in the branch about a month ago to set up an IRA and the banker said I was pre-selcted for a credit card. I declined knowing my profile situation and I didn't want to get embarrassed. Oddly enough ever since then I've been getting emails every couple weeks.

Today I received another email and finally got up the nerve to complete the application. I hit the submit button and received a message that I must visit a branch to complete my application. So I called up the 800 number and spoke to a nice gentleman who checked to see if I had anything in his system but my SSN showed nothing. He said those happen all the time but I'd have to apply at the branch. I asked him what the requirements are and he said he's never seen someone get turned down if they had a prequalifcation. He said they accept people barley over 600 all the time. 

I'm a little leary of this. I do have my checking, savings and IRA there so maybe that helps? My offers from BB&T were as follows: 

Spectrum Cash Rewards - 0% APR first 12mo and then 21.24% after

Specturm Travel Rewards - 20,000 bonus miles if I spend $2k first 90 days and then 21.24%

Bright Card - 0% APR first 15 months and then 19.24%

I recently applied for every PenFed card  possible and was denied. Then reconed to them all and was denied. I was approved for NFCU last weekend with $1,000 limit. I add that to Discover, Capital One, Open Sky and Green Dot $200 secured. Would just like to get another secured and then garden until June of next year. My old lates on my auto will fall off in April and some HP's falling around then. 

I value any insight - thanks! 

Brandon, you have more than enough to rebuild and garden, adding another secured card will not help you any, it will only prolong your recovery with added inquiry and lowered AAoA. Those PenFed denials are sure signs that you need to slow down and let your profile mature while waiting for derogs to drop off. Don't be in such a rush, be strategic, the more you rush the longer it will take...mmmmkay

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn’t a secured card. I highlighted the offers up top. The prequalifcation is giving hard APR’s. The gentleman on the phone made me feel optimistic. This is a potential opportunity to add another unsecured with my NFCU I just received. Let them grow together and this is my bank. I have 3 inquiries over the last 6 months. This would be #4 if I go through with it.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen some BB and T approvals posted on here with your score range. Sounds like you would be good to go.  If I remember correctly they normally pull EQ.  Worst case it should only be one inquiry.  That's not the end of the world if it turns out to be a no.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the positivity. I will admit I’m surprised I received it. Getting a preapproval from anyone other than a Credit One is a huge deal for me personally. I’ve read others post about getting a straight APR instead of a range is often very positive.

Couple that with what the gentleman said on the phone maybe I have a shot. Outside of NFCU NOBODY has given me a chance. If it wasn’t for their reaching out to me I wouldn’t be considering doing anything but laying in the garden. Maybe it’s a sign, maybe it’s fools gold. Only one way to find out.
Message 5 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You are probasbly good to go as they Pull EQ and that appears to be your highest and if they are targeting you then all the better.  They aren't inquiry sensitive at all.  They don't hand out monster limits by any means, but most people don't need them.  I got what 6500 when my medium limits is around 17k or so.  PITA if you dont bank with them to pay the CC, but their CC offerings are certainly WAY better than they use to be since the revamp of them

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they are actually my primary bank and have been for years. I’d be thrilled with anything to be honest. I’m the President and COO of my company. We own and operate Marriott hotels. I make good money. Just want to build my credit profile and establish relationships. Just had my first child last years

I’m dropping $2100 a month on freaking rent! I want a mortgage June of 2020. Need to provide stability for my family. Need credit as cash will only take me so far in this world. That is my only goal.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... the banker said I was pre-selected for a credit card. 

... he said he's never seen someone get turned down if they had a prequalifcation ...

I've no firsthand experience with BB&T. However the two things you've listed are not the same. Many (most?) that are pre-selected to apply are not prequalified. 

I agree with the previous comment that you don't "need" another card at this time. But I understand the curiousity & the desire for another unsecured card, so, in your shoes, I'd probably app. But only after I'd gone by the branch to verify whether I was preselected or preapproved. Hard pulls, like money, shouldn't be tossed away just because one has plenty. 

Good luck. Do update please.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the bank she said preselected. If you read my comment - after I received an email that was pre-qualified. I never said anything about a preapproval.

Yeah I’ve reach out to my banker via email and sent my prequalification number. See what she says. I told her I didnt want to waste time or an HP if she wasn’t 99% sure. Sent my FICO 3B that I just refreshed.

Will absolutely keep everyone posted. Thanks for the encouragement!
Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Just go for it. I got the Spectrum 4 months ago, Not my bank. Opened a eSavings and applied cold. Approved 7.5k with a 3 yr old BK. Need I say more? But make it your last app for at least a year.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.