cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

iamcleo
Established Member

BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

BOA turned down my friend because he was, "enrolled in a consumer credit counselling service..." They reference Experian but no where on his report is anything about it. What can be done? BTW his FICO 8 score is 810! He should be golden. Where are they pulling this from and how do I block it?experian_cg.jpg It's not even accurate.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
creditwarrior2317616
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

I would have your friend contact Bank of America to have them reconsider his application.

 

This is certainly strange because even if your friend were in credit counseling program, it would not show up on his credit report. 

 

To be safe, I would have your friend pull up his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.

 

Keep us posted. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 33
iamcleo
Established Member

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

Like I said. I pulled them and there's no metion of credit conselling.


@creditwarrior2317616 wrote:

I would have your friend contact Bank of America to have them reconsider his application.

 

This is certainly strange because even if your friend were in credit counseling program, it would not show up on his credit report. 

 

To be safe, I would have your friend pull up his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.

 

Keep us posted. Smiley Happy


 

Message 3 of 33
creditwarrior2317616
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?


@iamcleo wrote:

Like I said. I pulled them and there's no metion of credit conselling.


@creditwarrior2317616 wrote:

I would have your friend contact Bank of America to have them reconsider his application.

 

This is certainly strange because even if your friend were in credit counseling program, it would not show up on his credit report. 

 

To be safe, I would have your friend pull up his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.

 

Keep us posted. Smiley Happy


 


Have BOA reconsider his application. Does he have any other accounts with BOA? What is his credit like? Scores are not everything to lenders. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 33
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

If your friend was enrolled in credit counseling program and BofA was included they will probably still have a record of that in their internal records even if it is gone from your friends reports.

 

I doubt the reason came out of nowhere...

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 5 of 33
creditwarrior2317616
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?


@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

If your friend was enrolled in credit counseling program and BofA was included they will probably still have a record of that in their internal records even if it is gone from your friends reports.

 

I doubt the reason came out of nowhere...


I agree with you here. I was suspecting the same but was afraid to inquire. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 33
joe8185
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

I would still request a recon, depending on how long ago the credit counseling program was completed. I'm pretty sure that, like most other derogatories other than BK, it should fall off the reports after 7 years, which isn't "recent" or "current" by any reasonable standard. Also, re-analyze the credit reports closely to look for any other derogatories. While score isn't everything, with a 810 score, there shouldn't usually be that much in the way of derogs to hold back the overall profile.

Ch 7 BK discharged 11/28/14, credit rebuild well advanced. FICO:TU 680 FICO 8 (3/2/19) or 687 FICO 9/EX 694 FICO 8/EQ 685 FICO 8 or 674 FICO 9 (NFCU 3/3/19), VS 3.0 10/17/18: TU 702/EX 699/EQ 698. $92.9k revolving credit as of 1/31/19; $1K NFCU cashRewards Visa, $2K BJ's Perks MC, $5.1k Discover It #1, $6.5k Discover It #2 (new 3/12/18), $3.5k Petal Visa, $6k Paypal 2% CB MC, $6k Amazon Prime Store Card, $6k Walmart Store Card, $7k Apple FCU Platinum Visa, $7k Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa, $11.8k Overstock Store Card, $15K Care Credit, $16K Cap One QS Rewards Visa Signature, $10k PenFed used car loan, $5k Navient student loan, $12.7k Lending Club loan. Gardening: 3 months, 19 days as of 1/31/19. 24 HP inqs total as of 10/12/18: 10 TU, 9 EQ, 5 EX (about half over 1 year old).
Message 7 of 33
iamcleo
Established Member

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

If you look at the wording of the letter it hints that it could be for idecript reasons like "economic trends." He's on some sort of black list and it's not showing on the reports. I've never seen this before. Is there a better place to post this to?

 

Message 8 of 33
iamcleo
Established Member

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

We were getting ready for an app spree. Can't do that now.

Message 9 of 33
iamcleo
Established Member

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

He never did a conselling program BTW. All he remebers is something was written off due to fraud. That's all.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.