cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

BOA turned down my friend because he was, "enrolled in a consumer credit counselling service..." They reference Experian but no where on his report is anything about it. What can be done? BTW his FICO 8 score is 810! He should be golden. Where are they pulling this from and how do I block it?experian_cg.jpg It's not even accurate.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA declines a 810 credit score! What to do?

I would have your friend contact Bank of America to have them reconsider his application.

This is certainly strange because even if your friend were in credit counseling program, it would not show up on his credit report. 

To be safe, I would have your friend pull up his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.

Keep us posted. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said. I pulled them and there's no metion of credit conselling.

@Anonymous wrote:

I would have your friend contact Bank of America to have them reconsider his application.

This is certainly strange because even if your friend were in credit counseling program, it would not show up on his credit report. 

To be safe, I would have your friend pull up his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Like I said. I pulled them and there's no metion of credit conselling.

@Anonymous wrote:

Have BOA reconsider his application. Does he have any other accounts with BOA? What is his credit like? Scores are not everything to lenders. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 33
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

If your friend was enrolled in credit counseling program and BofA was included they will probably still have a record of that in their internal records even if it is gone from your friends reports.

I doubt the reason came out of nowhere...

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

If your friend was enrolled in credit counseling program and BofA was included they will probably still have a record of that in their internal records even if it is gone from your friends reports.

I doubt the reason came out of nowhere...

I agree with you here. I was suspecting the same but was afraid to inquire. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would still request a recon, depending on how long ago the credit counseling program was completed. I'm pretty sure that, like most other derogatories other than BK, it should fall off the reports after 7 years, which isn't "recent" or "current" by any reasonable standard. Also, re-analyze the credit reports closely to look for any other derogatories. While score isn't everything, with a 810 score, there shouldn't usually be that much in the way of derogs to hold back the overall profile.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at the wording of the letter it hints that it could be for idecript reasons like "economic trends." He's on some sort of black list and it's not showing on the reports. I've never seen this before. Is there a better place to post this to?

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were getting ready for an app spree. Can't do that now.

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

He never did a conselling program BTW. All he remebers is something was written off due to fraud. That's all.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.