Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Of America RECON fail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Of America RECON fail

SO a few weeks ago I applied for the BofA Travel rewards card and was declined for the card. (Backstory) In January I was approved for a secured BofA card. SO I called after I apped for teh Travel Rewards and requested a RECON. Recon was denied due to having too many BofA accounts which made me laugh at the CA because I only have a checking account and a secured CC.

(Present Day) Today I decided the excuse from the last RECON was unacceptable and called in to request another RECON. CA was helpful and asked many questions regarding my income, savings accounts with other institutions etc; I was put on a long hold and she came back and told me that she is unable to approve my reconsideration request due to me being new to BofA and.......drumroll.........and because my account had several overdrafts in the last year. Whisty Tango Foxtrot! I flew off the deep end because I have in the history of my BofA relationship (Opened in 2005 very new huh?) never had my account less than a few grand and never had an overdraft in my life at any of my other banking institutions.

I am completely appauled by these excuses they are giving me. Do they just dream this **bleep** up or what? They also didnt like that I have 5 digit savings with another institution and questioned that during the initial interrogation. 

I am questioning my relationship with BofA and absolutely do not need them at this point in my life. Its not like they need me either, so its mutual. But it has to hurt to see that 100% of the money flying out of my BofA checking account is going to pay other creditcard companies. Merrill Lynch will also be on the chopping block when and if i decide to close BofA just for affiliation. (yeah I am an **bleep** like that)

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank Of America RECON fail

Wow, questioned your savings with another institute? I think I'd have a second thought on my BoA relationship too. Geez. 

Message 2 of 19
Samac
Regular Contributor

How many overdrafts have you had from that account? I know you said that didn't happen with others, but you didn't deny that it's happened with that account
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point Samac. Perhaps OP meant to say "never had my account less than a few grand and never had an overdraft in my life at [BofA nor] any of my other banking institutions."

Message 4 of 19
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I used to bank with them. I left in January. I wasn't mad, there is just no reason to stay with people who only act like they care if you lock up tens of thousands of dollars or more with them. Because they don't care even then. Not really. The "preferred customer" program is a joke. You can get a better return on your money vacuuming pennies out of your couch.

I would pack up and leave. It's worth the minor hassle of getting your stuff moved over. Smiley Happy
♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 5 of 19
ddemari
Super Contributor

Im dropping them as my primary bank for checking and what now I'm sick of how they don't value their customer relationships
Message 6 of 19
creditguy
Valued Contributor

They gave me a similar bs line about to new not enough deposit history, mind you I had been with them since 2008 so I guess 8 years isn't enough, I'd get that if I were a tortoise with a lifespan of 100 plus years but hey I'm human, I've only got so much time, what's enough? Long story short closed the account and moved, life's too short and too many fish in the sea.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samac wrote:
How many overdrafts have you had from that account? I know you said that didn't happen with others, but you didn't deny that it's happened with that account

Its clear in the post that I have never had an overdraft. 

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CatOfSpades wrote:
I used to bank with them. I left in January. I wasn't mad, there is just no reason to stay with people who only act like they care if you lock up tens of thousands of dollars or more with them. Because they don't care even then. Not really. The "preferred customer" program is a joke. You can get a better return on your money vacuuming pennies out of your couch.

I would pack up and leave. It's worth the minor hassle of getting your stuff moved over. Smiley Happy

Its about to go that route. I have CONUS accounts with Chase, PENFED, USAA, so I will be thinking long and hard about my future with BofA.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:
Im dropping them as my primary bank for checking and what now I'm sick of how they don't value their customer relationships

I used to feel valued when all of money was tied up with them, but since I started using them only to receive school related payments, international wire transfers and transfered my savings and primary checking elsewhere I have been getting a cold shoulder. SInce I now have 30k in unsecured CC with other lenders, I have no use for their $300 secured card with 3% foreign transaction fee as I am mostly out of the states 80-90% of the time.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.