Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Cash Rewards - Extensive Review Process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Cash Rewards - Extensive Review Process

Hi guys, just to provide you with my two cents on the application process for Bank of America.

I received an "offer" when I logged into my BoA account to apply for the Cash Rewards on 01/18/19. Thought I take a stab at this one since I applied for the Capital One Savor (got approved check other thread) on the same day.

After applying for the Cash Rewards, I received an instant decision saying my application could not be approved at this time and that a letter would be mailed out to me explanining the reasoning. I called the backdoor number and after talking to two credit analysts, they were unsure what the letter details, but noted that it may just be a request for addtional information.

A week later, I received the letter saying I needed to verify some additional information for the following:

Two items here:

- Bank Statement

- Utility Bill

- Passport

- Social Security Card

- Government Issued Foreign Card 

One item here:

- Recent PayStub in the last 30 days

- Signed Tax Forms

I submitted everything within the next day and called back a week later to check the status. Upon reaching a credit analyst, I was told they received the information, but could not approve me at this time and that another letter was sent out. I tried asking the analyst to reconsider the decision, but no luck. I called again immediately after, and another analyst told me that I'm not 100% denied, but I just needed to verify some additional information, which will be mailed out to me. 

I called my sister who has knowledge in the Bank of America infosphere to get her insight on my situation and she told me that they're pretty much trying to weed out the "synethetic applicants" a.k.a. fraudsters and fakes. Normally these synthethics would not have access to those sensitive verification documents per above and Bank of America does this to prevent fraud and unauthorize account openings. She reassured me most likely I may still be approved, but who knows. 

Such a huge hassle with BoA, but will update once I get my letter!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards - Extensive Review Process

That’s a lot of hoops to jump through especially conspidering it was an offer in your online account. I sure hope you get a monster limit.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... Such a huge hassle with BoA, but will update once I get my letter!

Thanks for the heads up. They sound like a nightmare.

Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar situation, except no POI was required, when I applied for the Premium Rewards card a while back.

It was a combination of verification and UW (senior management) to review and sign off (due to significant BoA exposure).

Enduring patience for lots of folks can be a challenge. I just chalked it up as something that had to run through its paces. It took about a week and a half, but I definitely didn't mind.

Who can remember when applications used to be submitted by mail for processing? Even when online channels became available, it still took some time for the whole process to complete.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
... Who can remember when applications used to be submitted by mail for processing? Even when online channels became available, it still took some time for the whole process to complete.

Lol. Good point. 

Who can remember when unsolicited credit cards used to just show up in the mailbox? 

Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I know right? Even pets, deceased individuals and minors were getting them. Oh good CC memories 😄
Message 6 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Uhoh @james_A, that means I’m ...

Yeah right, I’m not falling for that age-old trick 😂🤣

See, those really were the good ole days!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So to summarize the timeline:

1. Applied on 01/18/19 and denied. Letter was sent requesting additional documents.

2. Received letter on 01/28/19 and submitted required forms on 01/29/19.

3. Forms were reviewed on 02/04/19 and was denied.

4. I called in for a re-consideration on 02/07/19 and was not approved immediately; same process as step 1 where a letter was sent which required me to submit additional information.

5. Received letter on 02/12/19 and submitted required forms on 02/13/19.

6. Received credit alert from Experian on 02/20/19 for a credit inquiry that was made. Checked BoA website to confirm I was approved.

Message 8 of 11
Andypanda
Established Contributor

My dec

@FinStar wrote:
I know right? Even pets, deceased individuals and minors were getting them. Oh good CC memories 😄

My father who passed away last April still gets pre approvals from cap1 in the mail box every other month.

Message 9 of 11
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Wow! What an ordeal.

What SL did they give you?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.