Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Rejection Advice Needed

tag
BiancaLacey

Bank of America Rejection Advice Needed

Hello everyone!

So early this morning I applied for the boa cash rewards credit card.

My current profile: 758 (Equifax), 749 (Trans Union), and 748 (Experian). No derogatory remarks, no public records, 100% payment history on all my accounts.

I currently have Amex blue cash everyday (15,000 line), Chase unlimited (5,700 line), and Discover (6,500 line).

My credit history started in 2011 and I received the above cards in 2018.

So I applied online and was rejected. Contacted the reconsideration line and they would not put in a reconsideration as they said I have gotten the above cards within the last year and my credit history is too short.

Should I call again to speak with another rep or wait until I’ve had the above cards for about 2 plus years? I really want the boa cash rewards card due to the option to change third category each month and I want a master card since they are widely accepted.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Bank of America Rejection Advice Needed

It wouldn't hurt to HUCA to speak to another customer service rep to see if you can change their mind for a recon. Failing that and you're set on that card then yes I'd garden and wait for your accounts to age before attempting again.

Message 2 of 13
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

It helps if you bank with them but I think the main issue is that your other cards are quite recent. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 3 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Probably best to just let things age and try again later. More and more, reconsideration is kind of a dying thing. It seems banks often only want to do recon if there is a mistake or error. Simple reasons like too many new accounts are sometimes not able to reconsidered these days with some banks.

Now, I don't know if BOA is that way, but I haven't heard of too many succesful recons with them recently. Not to say it can't happen, but you will probably just have to try again later.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could get a BOA Cash Rewards secured card, I did. They’ll go up to $4900.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 good cards under 2 years... Rejection by BOA.  I think you should probably think about Chase / Barclay's or a smaller regional bank that would love to have you as a customer for right now.  If you want BOA it sounds like you need more time under your belt before they'll open the door and welcome you into the lobby.  

If your Disco is over a year old you can go for the Disco Miles for 3% for the first year and combine them later on.

Message 6 of 13
BiancaLacey

I tried again today and the new rep made an effort to put in a reconsideration but the outcome was still the same.

I also got an alert that my experian score went up from 748 to 753, so it was probably higher but the inquiry set me back a couple of points. Sucks because I really wanted the card and thought if Amex and the other banks instantly approved me, boa would be a piece of cake.

I did however get approved for the Amex everyday but only got a 5000 limit.

So I’ll wait till 2021 to reapply and call it a day lol
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the BoA decline, BUT congratulations on the AmEx!

Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@BiancaLacey wrote:
Hello everyone!

So early this morning I applied for the boa cash rewards credit card.

My current profile: 758 (Equifax), 749 (Trans Union), and 748 (Experian). No derogatory remarks, no public records, 100% payment history on all my accounts.

I currently have Amex blue cash everyday (15,000 line), Chase unlimited (5,700 line), and Discover (6,500 line).

My credit history started in 2011 and I received the above cards in 2018.

So I applied online and was rejected. Contacted the reconsideration line and they would not put in a reconsideration as they said I have gotten the above cards within the last year and my credit history is too short.

Should I call again to speak with another rep or wait until I’ve had the above cards for about 2 plus years? I really want the boa cash rewards card due to the option to change third category each month and I want a master card since they are widely accepted.

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

When in 2018 did you get the cards? Jan 2018 is a big difference in age from Dec 2018. Just trying to figure out what’s going on. So what is the AoYA and what is AAOAs? I’m wondering why if your credit profile started in 2011, why you only have 3 cards opened in 2018. What was your credit history between 2011-2017?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
BiancaLacey

@CreditInspired
I got the Amex Blue Cash Everyday July 2018, the Discover It October 2018, and the Chase Freedom Unlimited in December 2018.

The above cards are the only cards I’ve ever owned and my credit history started in 2011 with student loans. Since I’ve gotten the cards last year, my average age of accounts have decreased from the eight years till about 4 1/2.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.