cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Student Card Approval Odds? - Update Approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Student Card Approval Odds? - Update Approved!

Hi everyone!

I'm considering applying to the Bank of America Student Cash Back credit card and was wondering if any of you have experience with it or any insight on approval odds?

I'm about to start my Master's program and am looking into the card. I recently was approved for the Discover It Student card with a $2,000 limit and have an application in process for the Capital One Quicksilver, which I have to send in additional paperwork for approval but my parents are picky about filling that stuff out (they help with bills) so I doubt I'll be approved/revoke my application. I wanted a second credit card to the Discover and was hoping this one may be decent.

I have a 712 FICO score and a 758 in TU/EQ. My credit history depending on the bureau is average of 3.5-7 years old from student loans ($8,000), a credit card authorized user, and a department store credit card ($1,000 limit). I was wondering if I have a good chance at this one?

I have a few recent inquiries, ranging from 4-5, depending on the credit bureau as I have applied to the 2 credit cards and then a couple student loans (didn't accept, my parents wanted to compare interest rates to the federal loans, sense a theme?). I want to keep these to a minimum so I don't keep hurting my credit score. I tried the BoA pre-qualify site but didn't receive any offers so I'm worried about applying. I have some incoming federal loans so I wanted to apply to cards prior to having those show up ($20,000+ but will total over $100,000 by the time I'm done).

Any information would be helpful, thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America Student Card Approval Odds?

Wow ... what are my odds of finding something like this here right now.

First of all congratz on the Discover card with 2k credit line. Second of all, I'm not sure if Bank of America would be great because if you do research on the bank's I've noticed that this bank does have a lot of bad reviews. Me, I just laying my options because the Cash Rewards that BofA have is interesting. But, I am not sure if it's worth it after seeing the history of what BofA has done. 

Just my thoughts ... but am interested to hear what everyone else has to say about BofA.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 2 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I can’t predict one way or another unfortunately. I can only share my own experience. For me, BofA is HIGHLY sensitive to inqs and new accounts. Additionally, even after 3 years of credit history, they told me I didn’t have a long enough record. Again, this is just my experience and also I was apping for the Cash Rewards as opposed to the Student card.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ZackAttack wrote:

First of all congratz on the Discover card with 2k credit line. Second of all, I'm not sure if Bank of America would be great because if you do research on the bank's I've noticed that this bank does have a lot of bad reviews. Me, I just laying my options because the Cash Rewards that BofA have is interesting. But, I am not sure if it's worth it after seeing the history of what BofA has done. 

Just my thoughts ... but am interested to hear what everyone else has to say about BofA.

Thank you! I was excited about the Discover approval.

Regarding the BoA service, I'm not certain about whether they are bad or not. I've heard fine things about them but I've also heard bad but I feel I could say that about any bank/credit card company I've heard of. It's not the most but that combined with my Discover is more than enough for me right now plus I have very little income with school. I really enjoy that the student card has 0% APR for a year so that's a main reason I applied to them as it's hard to find that on student cards. 

But, I applied and was approved for a $1,200 limit for their student cash back card! 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:
I can’t predict one way or another unfortunately. I can only share my own experience. For me, BofA is HIGHLY sensitive to inqs and new accounts. Additionally, even after 3 years of credit history, they told me I didn’t have a long enough record. Again, this is just my experience and also I was apping for the Cash Rewards as opposed to the Student card.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! 

That's why I was afraid to apply as now that I have more inquiries I don't want to continuously get denied by places. But, I applied and was approved for a $1,200 limit for their student cash back card which combined with other cards is more than enough for me right now. I'm guessing it's just cause student cards are easier to obtain than others. 

Message 5 of 10
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ZackAttack wrote:

Regarding the BoA service, I'm not certain about whether they are bad or not. I've heard fine things about them but I've also heard bad but I feel I could say that about any bank/credit card company I've heard of. It's not the most but that combined with my Discover is more than enough for me right now plus I have very little income with school. I really enjoy that the student card has 0% APR for a year so that's a main reason I applied to them as it's hard to find that on student cards. 

But, I applied and was approved for a $1,200 limit for their student cash back card! 

Lucky you.

Discover gave me $500 and nothing else so far. At the time I only had a car loan of 7k (3 yrs) and an AU Card. Got Discover and my CU (gave $1k)

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 6 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! 

That's why I was afraid to apply as now that I have more inquiries I don't want to continuously get denied by places. But, I applied and was approved for a $1,200 limit for their student cash back card which combined with other cards is more than enough for me right now. I'm guessing it's just cause student cards are easier to obtain than others. 

Congrats! That’s a good SL! Enjoy!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ZackAttack wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ZackAttack wrote:

Lucky you.

Discover gave me $500 and nothing else so far. At the time I only had a car loan of 7k (3 yrs) and an AU Card. Got Discover and my CU (gave $1k)

Thank you!

I hope all goes well with your credit journey and increased limits, good luck Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card and good luck in Grad School!

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your approval @Anonymous.

Locking this thread as you have been approved.  Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.