cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of america gives credit increase on visa rewards then take it from Mastercard.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Bank of america gives credit increase on visa rewards then take it from Mastercard.

This morning went on BOA web site to check on a payment that I made on my visa cash rewards account which was posted. I went head and ask for credit increase on the account, the credit limit is 18K with balance of 800. The account was open last april with starting credit limit of 16K over the last 10 months put about 3K on the card last payment was 230 dollars. The last increase was about 4 months ago which 2K which they moved 2K from my mastercard over th the visa card. They did the same thing this time taking my mastercard from 23K to 21K and the visa account from 18K to 20K. My total credit limit with BOA is 41K on income of 85K, it looks like that I am stuck at total cl of 41K with BOA. My Fico scores are around 800j ul is 1% total out standing balance on all cards is 1,400 dollars with a total limit of 25K. I don't think that I will ask for any more increases from bank of america This card is going into the sock draw, I will go to the banks that give me love.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of america gives credit increase on visa rewards then take it from Mastercard.

Does any one have working back door number for Bank of America the numbers I have don't work any more, thanks.

Message 2 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of america gives credit increase on visa rewards then take it from Mastercard.

@firefox100 wrote:

This morning went on BOA web site to check on a payment that I made on my visa cash rewards account which was posted. I went head and ask for credit increase on the account, the credit limit is 18K with balance of 800. The account was open last april with starting credit limit of 16K over the last 10 months put about 3K on the card last payment was 230 dollars. The last increase was about 4 months ago which 2K which they moved 2K from my mastercard over th the visa card. They did the same thing this time taking my mastercard from 23K to 21K and the visa account from 18K to 20K. My total credit limit with BOA is 41K on income of 85K, it looks like that I am stuck at total cl of 41K with BOA. My Fico scores are around 800j ul is 1% total out standing balance on all cards is 1,400 dollars with a total limit of 25K. I don't think that I will ask for any more increases from bank of america This card is going into the sock draw, I will go to the banks that give me love.

This is clearly spelled out in their fine print. I know that because I was thinking of accepting one of their 'just for you' (or whatever they're called) offers for another card, but when I read over its terms and realized they could move part of my existing card's limit to a new card, I decided against it. I want all my CLs to *increase* not *decrease*! If their online form offered a way to say 'no, I don't want to do that' and then let you submit it, that would be great...but it doesn't.

I don't know if talking to a person will accomplish anything, but it certainly can't hurt.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 14
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

If you are at max exposure, you can call in and have them shuffle the lines around to get them where you want them. I've had this happen to me once (pulling from one to give to another), but all of mine since have granted additional credit. It just means they aren't ready to give additional on the card at this time. They may give more later, especially with more experience and spend with them. 

Message 4 of 14
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@firefox100 

This practice of moving cl from one Cc to the other have been going on for years now. 

Message 5 of 14
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Yes I was able to speak to analyst, by calling auto financing dept and asking to be connected to analyst who handles credit cards. The person who spoke to me was very nice was on the phone for about 10 minutes but was not able to do any thing, I was told because I did not have the acount for les then 12 months and because my credit limit had been just change today they could do any thing for next 3 months. I found out my Transunion fico 8 score is 799. They can not over ride the AI computer system, don't listen to u tubers who say they havescript to over ride credit decision.

Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@firefox100 wrote:

Yes I was able to speak to analyst, by calling auto financing dept and asking to be connected to analyst who handles credit cards. The person who spoke to me was very nice was on the phone for about 10 minutes but was not able to do any thing, I was told because I did not have the acount for les then 12 months and because my credit limit had been just change today they could do any thing for next 3 months. I found out my Transunion fico 8 score is 799. They can not over ride the AI computer system, don't listen to u tubers who say they havescript to over ride credit decision.

Seldom are the YouTube bloggers, FB groups and other sketchy sources accurate with any data points @firefox100. Not sure why you assumed that BoA could override a hard-coded decision?  At any rate, it sounds like you might be close to the max exposure they are willing to extend based on your income + other factors. You can try again in the next few months, and if you experience the same outcome, there's your sign.

Message 7 of 14
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Hey, all banks have this certain threshold they will extend credit I've had this happen with bofa, chase, barclay where when I open up a new card they would chop the credit line on other cards to fit it in. Now the reverse works if you close a card and want that credit line have them move it to another open cards. Looking at your numbers it's in line to what bofa does with me. 
by the way (Mod cut - not here please @Hoben02 - please be mindful of the TOS) if you are maxing out on 5.25% on a category with that customized cash to sock drawer the card

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@firefox100 wrote:

Not sure but 40k seems like a lot of luv on a 80k + income and with only 3k spend, doesn't seem to be telling them you need more credit. I get the wanting more and more, the controlling uti when spending,  and being disappointed when rejected, happens to me more times than I can count, but objectively,  their pov is understandable.  Just remember SDing it won't help future requests should you get the itch. Jmho.

Message 9 of 14
firefox100
Valued Contributor

I am not completely unhappy, just giving data points, for Comparision US Bank has given me 45K credit limits on same income of 85K with 2 credit cards cash+ 25K and the Altitude go visa 20K. This comming July will try for another increase on my US bank Altitude go visa and see if they give another 5K increase to 25K limit will make post at that time.

Finstar, I do understand that most of what you see on Youtube you need to take with grain of salt, I would pay to get info on how to build increase credit, I hope others don't waste money and time on bad credit info. The Fico boards give the best info and it is free, this great community.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.