cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay: Request Credit Line Increase or App for Another Card?

tag
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Barclay: Request Credit Line Increase or App for Another Card?

Haven't had much experience with them in regards to cli's or many applications so need some advice.

I currently have a 11 month old Barclay Ring MasterCard which had 8.25% Apr when I recieved it now its at 9.00% Apr. I could never do the Apr reduction then on the sly sp cli offer request with them because the rate was the best they had. So my question would be, how is Barclay when it comes down to cli's are they stingy or generous? And would it be better to just app for a different product with them to receive a larger credit line than request the cli?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclay: Request Credit Line Increase or App for Another Card?

@credit_endurance wrote:

Haven't had much experience with them in regards to cli's or many applications so need some advice.

I currently have a 11 month old Barclay Ring MasterCard which had 8.25% Apr when I recieved it now its at 9.00% Apr. I could never do the Apr reduction then on the sly sp cli offer request with them because the rate was the best they had. So my question would be, how is Barclay when it comes down to cli's are they stingy or generous? And would it be better to just app for a different product with them to receive a larger credit line than request the cli?

A CLI request is always a hard pull with them, so that is reason enough to skip it.

I stopped asking them for CLI's for that reason, so I don't have recent experience as to whether they're stingy or generous, but my CLI experience with them was... extremely stingy.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two cards with Barclays. One is the Ring Card ( 3 years old) and the AAdvantage Aviator Card( 2 years old). I have been getting  a CLI via SP on my Aviator card for the last two years. However, I haven't had any CLI on my Ring Card via SP. They always requested a HP which I have declined... go figure with them !

Message 3 of 13
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@SJ nice CL on your Ring.I I really only use mine for BT but do like the low Apr so wanted to increase it from $7,500 SL. Tried several times after approval and denied every time.

@Mia that is very odd that they would only give you increases on 1 card and not both. I did hear that they are somewhat jealous if you open several accounts after them.? 

Not sure If I want to waste a hp on them for either an increase or new product.

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're stingy and would never dare apply for a second card with them. lol

Message 5 of 13
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

They are a bank with criteria just like every other bank. I have two Wyndham cards one at $7200 and the other $7500. The $7200 was an auto-CLI from $5k. Barclays gets 95% of my spend, so obviously this is a factor they look at.

Message 6 of 13
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Yea. I heard they like to be your one and only and get jelly when you open up multiple accounts after them. So our love affair might be over lol! 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with them back in May was a hp for exactly zero increase. They couldn't be bothered to give me even 500... Just something. And I put about 22K through them last year, pif, even though their rewards are sub par. They are my smallest card at 5800.00, I have reduced my spending with them to token amounts since a) they don't deserve any and b) their card rarely works when I travel out of the U.S.  My lowest startling limit recently has been 12K. And that's how I know it's time to garden...

My scores were higher than your Sig at the time, inquiries about the same, clean reports.  I wasn't pleased. I've had that card since 2011 or 12. Unless they come up with something good, for me I am not going to bother with them. 3.99 recurring bill...

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually received a few SP CLIs with my Barclaycard. This was a while ago, and when I spoke with them last week the CSR did not budge.

Mind you I started with a very low CL (like $200). For the CLIs I spoke with a supervisor and inquired about any promotions and if they could do a SP CLI. They would usually review my account and make a decision. I think I am 5/7 is SP CLIs, but last week I didn't even bother going the supervisor route since this card sees less than $500 per month.

Here are those data points:

$500 SP CLI in November of 2015 (credit score in mid 600s)

$500 SP CLI in April of 2015 (credit score in mid 600s)

$2000 SP CLI in November of 2015 (credit score in high 600s)

$2500 SP CLI in March of 2016 (credit score in high 700s)

$2500 SP CLI in October of 2016 (credit score in high 700s)

The credit scores are approximate, but the amounts are correct since I have that data. As others have said, Barclaycard is really tough and they push for HP. See if you can get a supervisor on the phone, make a case why you need that CLI (having the spending and payments to back it up), and be adamant that you don't want a HP for just a CL, and that you would appreciate and utilize a SP CLI if they can offer it.

Hope this helps in your decision. Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@credit_endurance wrote:

Yeah.. don't even waste th HP.. you'll probably be denied. I agree with others. They are a jealous lender and don't like seeing a bunch of new accounts. If you want a CLI..I suggest looking elsewhere. lol

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.