Not applicable

Barclay's CLI Request Denied

This morning I called the Barclay's backdoor # for a CLI and BT

My score 672

Opened Barclay's Card 09/2014

PIF every month

20% util

2000.00 Limit

After answering a few questions I was denied because of a 2008 Discover ChargeOff for 11k. It didnt matter how old it was it was the amount  . He said this is the reason for my denial. I have no other baddies.

FYI to everyone. If you have a large charge off or collection Barclay will deny you, he said I may get an auto CLI in the future.

I will call back later today and try again, I hate burning a hard pull

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's CLI Request Denied

Barclays tends to like 6 months of payment history with them for a CLI, you're probably better off waiting until your 6th or 7th statement and ask again (but I would wait until at least the 7th statement as many get auto-CLIs...myself excluded of course). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 13
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Everyone says 6 months but I was able to convince them at 2 months....

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 3 of 13
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

If they stated the amount of the charge off was an issue then it may be an amount they set internally to deny a CLI

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 13
abbafan
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My score 672

PIF every month

20% util

2000.00 Limit

After answering a few questions I was denied because of a 2008 Discover ChargeOff for 11k. It didnt matter how old it was it was the amount  . He said this is the reason for my denial. I have no other baddies.

FYI to everyone. If you have a large charge off or collection Barclay will deny you, he said I may get an auto CLI in the future.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a lot of charge-offs. However, during my entire time with Barclay I were able to get 2 cli's one of which was automatic (from $500 to $1500) and the other one web-based request (from $1500 to $2050). However, I called recon to get some more and they denied. It seems like if you have collections or charge-offs it would be impossible to get a cli with Barclay through manual review and there are much better chances with auto-cli (or web-based but that would result ina hard pull). I also think that auto-cli in our situation would result in higer cl than web-based.

Discover IT $15500, Barclay Rewards $12380, Barclay Ring $13000, Cap1 Savor $7250, Chase Freedom Unlimited $9000, Best Buy Visa $12000 , Bethpage Low Rate MC - $9000, Bethpage LOC - $15000, CITI Double Cash - $21000
EQ 783
TU 798
EX 767
Message 5 of 13
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I got a denial letter today saying I have enough credit.... thanks mother Barclay for your great interest

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

I got a denial letter today saying I have enough credit.... thanks mother Barclay for your great interest

LOL.. The mother thing is funny.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My score 672

PIF every month

20% util

2000.00 Limit

You're probably thinking...Hey, they gave me their card regardless of that 2008 Discover C/O for 11k, so maybe I should ask for a CLI only after 3 months?  Yeah, from what I've read on these boards or seen in their T&C -- CLI's  have been given after the 5th or 6th statement cut and that's most likely with good-to excellent credit.    I got my Barclay's card 1 month before you, but I wouldn't press my luck even now to ask for a CLI, since it's way too early and quite naturally, I would think it's burning an inquiry!!  As a matter of fact, they started me with a $9500 CL so, there's really no need for me to ask and I'll just patiently await for their AUTO LOVE.  Smiley Tongue and see how the dice are rolled then. 

Since you mentioned your Discover C/O, I remember I couldn't even get a Discover since I had a $92 C/O from Blair credit of all people..lol.  I remember saying, but it's going to fall off in a few months (2011) and their reply was "Reapply then",   granted Discover seems to have tighter U/W than the Barclay's card for Avg credit for which they offer a 24.99 APR..   I think I app'd for a Barclays in 2012 and was out right declined.  Well, this year....they courted me with a pre-qualied WMC -- 0% for 18 months and then 14.99 APR and I'm still waiting for my 6 months or more to see if I get any auto love ~~~~ Smiley Tongue

So in essence, I'm sorry you burned an INQ for a premature INQ request.  I guess it's your choice to reconsider it, since you'd rather not waste a HP for nothing, but I think I'd just wait it out and if they don't do it..then they don't it.  Once that C/O falls off, you should be high rolling again in no timeSmiley Happy

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My score 672

PIF every month

20% util

2000.00 Limit

You're probably thinking...Hey, they gave me their card regardless of that 2008 Discover C/O for 11k, so maybe I should ask for a CLI only after 3 months?  Yeah, from what I've read on these boards or seen in their T&C -- CLI's  have been given after the 5th or 6th statement cut and that's most likely with good-to excellent credit.    I got my Barclay's card 1 month before you, but I wouldn't press my luck even now to ask for a CLI, since it's way too early and quite naturally, I would think it's burning an inquiry!!  As a matter of fact, they started me with a $9500 CL so, there's really no need for me to ask and I'll just patiently await for their AUTO LOVE.  Smiley Tongue and see how the dice are rolled then. 

Since you mentioned your Discover C/O, I remember I couldn't even get a Discover since I had a $92 C/O from Blair credit of all people..lol.  I remember saying, but it's going to fall off in a few months (2011) and their reply was "Reapply then",   granted Discover seems to have tighter U/W than the Barclay's card for Avg credit for which they offer a 24.99 APR..   I think I app'd for a Barclays in 2012 and was out right declined.  Well, this year....they courted me with a pre-qualied WMC -- 0% for 18 months and then 14.99 APR and I'm still waiting for my 6 months or more to see if I get any auto love ~~~~ Smiley Tongue

So in essence, I'm sorry you burned an INQ for a premature INQ request.  I guess it's your choice to reconsider it, since you'd rather not waste a HP for nothing, but I think I'd just wait it out and if they don't do it..then they don't it.  Once that C/O falls off, you should be high rolling again in no timeSmiley Happy

+1

I had to recon 4 times to get my Sallie Mae WMC because of a couple of similarly old but MUCH smaller C/O's. I got $1,500 initially and was happy to get it!

Message 9 of 13
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclays is a hot mess!! They LOVE to use the excuse "you have enough credit." I'm like dude get out my business!! As long as it's being used responsibly, what's it to ya?? Smiley Mad
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.