Credit Mentor

Re: Barclaycard Arrival Plus denied with 816

You edited while i was typing and how it looks so incongruent

Message 31 of 58
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:
I think the next dinner party might be a little awkward. But if you want to find a 100,000 MR offer for a Platinum, you’d really be doing yourself a favor, not me. Smiley Wink

Edited for reply that posted while I was typing: You ARE the spotlight. Again, no need for apologies! Now I wonder how much the wager was.

Dr Evil & Frau.jpg

Message 32 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
I think the next dinner party might be a little awkward. But if you want to find a 100,000 MR offer for a Platinum, you’d really be doing yourself a favor, not me. Smiley Wink

Edited for reply that posted while I was typing: You ARE the spotlight. Again, no need for apologies! Now I wonder how much the wager was.

Message 33 of 58
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

You edited while i was typing and how it looks so incongruent

Congrats on using the secret word of the day! You win a free chilli dog meal from our sponsor, Dairy Queen. They hope while you are there you will indulge in a delicious Brownie Batter Blizzard.

Tough luck KiB, but hey - you - Barclay's? I don't think so.

Message 34 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Haha so true.  It's a good thing I chose Delta over American.

Message 35 of 58
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I'm at 5/24 right now--soon to be 4/24 in a couple of weeks--and that is a great SUB--but I'd have to pass. I caught pure heck completing the $5k spend on my SPG business here recently. And I already have 2 Ventures with the same 2x miles reward structure.

Sorry they denied you K--it looks as if they have really tightened up on approvals if you can't even get approved with an 800+ score!

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 36 of 58
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Ouch, Sir Barclay just being a jealous mistress... Just goes to show scores aren't everything.... Still hurts the pride....

Though I'd like to see you with the Crystal Visa though... that would be a great goal card for a baller such as yourself.....

Pretty sure if you waited 6mo or so Barclays would humour you on the second go.. but really there are other options out there for you...

-J

Message 37 of 58
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear, but not really surprised despite your overall credit profile.
I was denied both a CLI on my Uber and a new app for the Jet Blue business card. Not around the same time, but several months apart. The reason was also the number of new accounts in the last 2 years. 13 new accounts for me. I should've known better after the CLI denial not to apply for the business card.
The part that annoyed me is that they could've taken a portion of my Uber CL to approve the Jet Blue card that I really wanted and made very clear. I even told them to close the Uber card if need be. The response I got after calling twice was that, by doing what I asked, they wouldn't be addressing the real "problem," which was opening more and more credit cards.
I don't give up easily, so I continued to press and asked them how many is too many and what the timeframe was for reconsideration or how long I should wait to apply again. They said they didn't know.
First, they say you've been denied for having opened too many cards recently, but then, they can't give you a concrete answer or don't even know it.

Message 38 of 58
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Embarrassing is probably the wrong word. Now that I think about it, that’s insensitive to what many others here on the forums experience. More like hurt pride. I felt invincible, thinking that Capital One was my only Krypton.

Well Capital One and Barclays have something in common... two idiot banks in my book.

Not really idiot banks, just strict underwriting trying to prevent bonus churning. On a business level, I can't blame them. It still sucks getting denied though if you really want the card.

Until about maybe 2 years ago this card was a churner's dream as there were few restrictions enforced on how often one could collect a SUB. I remember people reporting getting the card for the 3rd and 4th time, each time closing the card after collecting the 50,000 mile SUB, then reapplying for the card several months later only to repeat the cycle.  As you note, they've cracked down hard in order to discourage churning and bonus-chasing.

IME with Barclay, K would have an excellent chance of success in 6 months if he lays low.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 39 of 58
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I admit that had I been a betting man I would have lost on this one... not being a Barclays aficionado I also wasn't aware of the 6/24 rule on this card.  Smiley Sad  Smiley Frustrated

On the plus-side, it should be an easy-catch for you in just a few months, and as far as I know it won't be going anywhere (I was in a similar situation until recently with Chase).

In my (very) humble opinion threads such as these are often more valuable than approval threads, since these provide data points (and reminders of 'rules') that otherwise we might not be aware of. 

Hold you head high, and know that the ball is still in your court... if you decide to go for this one again you know what they are looking for, and it will be yours for the taking! Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.