Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Approval Odds for Girlfriend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Approval Odds for Girlfriend

Hello my credit warriors! 

I have helped my GF clean up all of her credit reports over the last year. TU is the only CRA that she has 6 late payments from   The late payments are the only TU derog and they all drop off next year. They are almost 6 years old. She is wanting the Barclays Jet Blue Plus card because she flies them often. 

What would be your best guess at her approval odds in the post pandemic world? 

Her Data Points for TU are below:

FICO 08 739/FICO Bankcard 741

TU Util is 1% with AZEO

2 inquiries 

3 New accounts in the last 24 months and those 3 were opened 4 months ago. 
Her DTI is 11%

Thanks for the input!! 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclays Approval Odds for Girlfriend

If there's a presence of derogs, albeit aged, + 3 new accounts in the past 12 months, most likely the odds don't look as favorable.  Of course, she's welcome to try and see how things pan out for her.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar 

Thanks! 

I figured that the new accounts would hurt more than the six year old late payments. I was thinking with other lenders she would prolly get an instant approval but I know Barclays is very sensitive to new accounts. I wonder if they would over look the Old Derogs since they are so old? Your right though and I did let her know thankfully it's only a wasted TU pull lol if she does app and it's a denial. 

Message 3 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, no problem.  

The new accounts are likely going to be the primary driver, IMO.  Now, if these 3 new accounts were spread out in a 24-month timeframe, she would likely be approved, even with the aged negatives.  But, she can try (in the name of science) and see what it leads.  It would still be great DPs for others who might have similar profiles.

Message 4 of 16
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

OP,

If she has to 'recon' then advise her to be prepared to explain why she opened those news accounts. From experience, they asked me that question when I had some new accounts on my report. 

Good Luck

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aspireto850 

After the recon did you get approved? What's were your scores and DP's? What was your starting limit.

Thanks!!!

Message 6 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Aspireto850 wrote:

OP,

If she has to 'recon' then advise her to be prepared to explain why she opened those news accounts. From experience, they asked me that question when I had some new accounts on my report. 

Good Luck

How long ago was this?  Barclays tightened their UW policies and even reconsideration requests these days are not as prevalent.  The UWs are often unable to override or perform decision reversals once a system decision is made.  In the old days, yes - more flexible.

Message 7 of 16
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Anonymous 

This was last November and I did not get approved. Literally right before the recon a recent late (erroneous) hit my CR and I didn't know it. But the Agent did probe quite about about why I opened each recent account. 

IDK what my scores were at that time.  

Message 8 of 16
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Barclays has denied multiple of my recon attempts since 2019. They don't like my profile and always cite new accounts. If your own credit bureau is bad is TU, I would look into a different issuer that didn't solely pull TU. You mentioned she flies JB a lot, what is she looking for in a card? What makes that particular card more attractive than other cards? Is it the free bag? The miles? Keep in mind sometimes there are plenty of travel cards out there with flexible currency that might reap better awards than JB miles. How often is she flying and how many times is she going to fly before the TU report is clean?

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Dustin, I just recently got approved for this card, so I'll share my data points:

Score: 735 from TU

Utilization: 8%

2 accounts in the last 12 months, 1 was an AU on wife's card

No derogs on any reports

Let me know if I can help with any other info!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.