cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

New Member

Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

Hey all,

This is my first post here, but I've been a long time lurker and reader and I'm really looking forward to whatever advice I can get. 

I'm looking to get both of these cards, the first within the next 2-3 months and the other in late summer '19. I've recently started flying American and it looks like I will be flying them quite often for the foreseeable future, hence my interest. I've got a couple of questions (listed in my DP below) but mostly I'm wondering which I should go for first given my profile. Here's my DPs:

I have a pretty thin file (mostly paid cash for things, now slightly regretting it):

Amazon Store Card: 3,500 limit/720 current balance (1,500 balance reported for scored below), will be paid to ~150 (or zero if better) in January. Age: 2yrs
Samsung Finance: 3,200 limit/446 balance (only use for 0% financing for phones; pay min) Age: 1yr 4mo
AU on a Capitol One: 18k limit/132 balance Age: 25yr 6mo
Affirm Loan that was paid off early and closed but still on file. 
Only carrying balances as they are promotional with no interest. Otherwise, PIF.  

Above is my only debt. No mortgage, rent, or car payment. Income is ~40K.

~9% utilization (with higher Amazon Balance) with UA account.
~29% utilization (with higher Amazon Balance) w/o UA account. 

AAoA with UA account: 7yr 7mo.
AAoA without UA account: 1yr 7mo. (which AAoA are they most likely to use?)

FICO 8 numbers:
EX: 733 (1 HP TD Bank, 8/2017)
EQ: 727 (0 HP's)
TU: 730 (1 HP SYNCB, drops off 12/31/2018)

Perfect payment history; no baddies whatsoever. 

So here are my questions: Which should I go for first? I have a big trip planned for next fall and the tickets as of now are going to cost a bit over 3k, which would be great to cover the spend on Citi if I get a decent SL, what are the chances with that? I know through reading the forums here that both tend to be INQ and new account sensitive so that's why I am asking so far in advance, hopefully, I can of having both by the time I leave.

I did do a quick prequalify on the Citi site to kinda see where I stood. No AA card, but they did offer the Premier at a single rate, not a range. Is that a good sign? Any and all advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

Welcome!! Your credit is in pretty decent shape.  I'm not sure if there is a correct order of which card first.  As far as getting a high SL, that depends on what you think or want for a high limit?  It will be relative to your 40k income, of course, as well as the rest of your profile.  I wuold think you could get one if not both cards, if you app for them when you plan on it.  In the meantime, you can work on what you have and keep your utilization down to under 9% overall, to gain more points.  That wouldn't hurt.  It looks like you do not have a current open installment loan, which is causing you to lose points.  But with you planning on apping for these cards, I maybe wouldn't get any loans right now, or app for anything in the meantime.

                                            

Total Credit: $218,900Utilization: 1%AAoA: 5yrs, 5mthsInstallments: Car Lease, Marcus LoanBaddies: 0On Chop Block: Nobody NA

             
             
                          DSC-27.1K | NFC-25K | ALI-25k | WAL-10k | BoA-22k | BB-12k | NFL-15k | LOW-35k | AMX-19.3k | CHA-10k | PF-8.8k | C-DC-9.7k
Message 2 of 19
Highlighted
New Member

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

Thank you! Honestly, enough to cover my fall ticket plus a bit of wiggle room would be preferable (so 3,500 - 4,000) for the Citi inital SL. Plus, it would be nice so I can get the initial bonus spend all in one fell swoop. *crosses fingers* Barclays is just a single purchase, so I'm not too concerned about the SL there, just the approval.

Plan as of now, unless there's a majority pointing to another path, is to just pay things down to near zero then in mid-Feb pull the trigger on one. On the Experian site, their "Score Simulator" predicted a potential score bump to 753-ish. Hopefully that'll be enough.
Message 3 of 19
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

OP, aside from Amazon and Samsung store CCs as listed, do you have any major bankcards under your own name (open/closed)? While the AU tradeline can boost scoring and history, it's not a primary account.
Message 4 of 19
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

I honestly think you would get approved for both, as Barclay looks at TU and Citi looks at Citi, but at the current moment I would apply for the Citi one and max out my SUB than apply for the Barclay and max the SUB.

 

Hope this helps.



Message 5 of 19
New Member

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.


@FinStar wrote:
OP, aside from Amazon and Samsung store CCs as listed, do you have any major bankcards under your own name (open/closed)? While the AU tradeline can boost scoring and history, it's not a primary account.

I do not and that has me a little worried about my approval odds.

Message 6 of 19
Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.

OP, so here is my experience....

 

i was approved the citi advantage card but denied the Barclays card. Barclays stated too many inquiries. I applied for it twice with the same reply. Citi I applied for twice but approved the second time and at the time had more inquiries. Currently sitting at 30+. 

 

I know now your circumstances are different but since barclay is more inquiry sensitive I would say hit them up first. Min spend with them is easy too as it’s only a stick of gum lol. Then wait a few months and hit citi.

 

that way the inquiry from citi doesn’t mess up any chances with Barclays.

 

YMMV though but that’s my thought.

(12/01/18) Fico 8 EQ 645, EX 651, TU 691

NFCU CLOC $15k | NFCU Flagship Visa $10k | Wayfair SC $4.5k | Citi Best Buy Visa $4k | JC Penny SC $3k | Walmart SC $3K | Zales SC $1.75K | Cap One QS1 $1.55k | Belk SC $1.5k | Mattress Firm SC $1.5k | Merrick Bank $1.4k | Discover IT $1.1k | Amex Hilton Honors $1k | Amex Delta Blue $1k | NTB SC $1K | Finger Hut SC $1K | Shell SC $0.8K | Home Depot SC $0.5K | USAA Classic Amex $0.5K | CareCare $0.5K | Target SC $0.3K | PayPal MC $0.3K

R.I.P. Cards: Credit One $0.8K | Capital One Platinum $0.7K | First Premier $0.7K | Credit One $0.45k | Indigo $0.3K | Avant $0.3K |
Message 7 of 19
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.


@VIPERLTDMYFICO wrote:

I honestly think you would get approved for both, as Barclay looks at TU and Citi looks at Citi, but at the current moment I would apply for the Citi one and max out my SUB than apply for the Barclay and max the SUB.

 

Hope this helps.


Citi has their own CRA?  News to me!  😄

 

Citi tends to use EX and/or EQ, they've been known to pull both as well.  Also, Barclays tends to SP EX in addition to TU.  It's all profile-dependent.  Obviously up to the OP to roll the dice, but as with anything there's no guarantees. 

Message 8 of 19
New Member

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.


@idolimage wrote:

OP, so here is my experience....

 

i was approved the citi advantage card but denied the Barclays card. Barclays stated too many inquiries. I applied for it twice with the same reply. Citi I applied for twice but approved the second time and at the time had more inquiries. Currently sitting at 30+. 

 

I know now your circumstances are different but since barclay is more inquiry sensitive I would say hit them up first. Min spend with them is easy too as it’s only a stick of gum lol. Then wait a few months and hit citi.

 

that way the inquiry from citi doesn’t mess up any chances with Barclays.

 

YMMV though but that’s my thought.


This was my original thought after spending countless hours combing through past threads here. Since Barclays seems to be tougher to get, go for it first to give me the best shot. Then give it 5-6 months of use then apply to Citi before my trip (which then I could use while traveling to meet the SUB spend amount.)  

Message 9 of 19
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red and Citi AAdvantage questions.


@FinStar wrote:

@VIPERLTDMYFICO wrote:

I honestly think you would get approved for both, as Barclay looks at TU and Citi looks at Citi, but at the current moment I would apply for the Citi one and max out my SUB than apply for the Barclay and max the SUB.

 

Hope this helps.


Citi has their own CRA?  News to me!  😄

 

Citi tends to use EX and/or EQ, they've been known to pull both as well.  Also, Barclays tends to SP EX in addition to TU.  It's all profile-dependent.  Obviously up to the OP to roll the dice, but as with anything there's no guarantees. 


i meant Equifax ! lolol good catch 

 

Citi having their own CRA....... that be intersting...



Message 10 of 19