Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays JetBlue Plus denied twice

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Barclays JetBlue Plus denied twice

Just posting for DPs.

First denial happened at the end of 2018. Reason was too many new accounts. I think I was at 13/24 then.

Today was strike two at 11/24. One of those accounts is already closed, so it could be 10/24 if the system didn't count it. 2 other new accounts aren't showing yet either. Last reporting account was opened 8 months ago. I honestly thought I could have a shot before the 2 new accounts showed up... Wrong Smiley Very Happy

TU F8 is 758 

Maybe under 2% UTIL of about $400k in CLs

I called the recon line and the reason was what I'd already anticipated: too many new accounts in the last 24 months. UW wouldn't tell me what the magic number is to pass the Barclays test. I also offered to move or even close my current $10k Uber Visa card because I really wanted this card. I was told that wasn't an option because you have to qualify to get the card first, and then you can move limits. Happily, I'd've taken a $50 SL, but nope. Smiley LOL

It looks like I'm going to have to wait till mid next year to take another swing at about 5-6/24 if I'm still interested. Hope it's not strike 3.

ETA: I called DW to give her the news and express my frustration (translation: I was hoping she'd feel badly for me and apply herself). It actually worked. Smiley Tongue

But I told her to get the business version for the 60k SUB instead of the 40k I'd've received. She got approved. No surprises there with 830+ scores and 3/24.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays JetBlue Plus denied twice

Like most every other issuer they've been tightening up recently. 

Which CRA was pulled for each of your other 2 recent approvals? 

If there is a next time, I'd suggest that if you are denied again upon recon you ask if the UW could make suggestions on what you could do moving forward to improve your odds of success next time. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it's Barclay's and you know they're sensitive about new accounts and they need to be single digits leading up to an app.

The rumor is 6/24 and no more than a couple within 6 months of an app. Isolating them to TU only typically can get an auto approval if you've been relatively quiet on TU for INQ.  Not all of their cards are so restrictive which is probably why you got in w/ Uber.

I specifically targeted Uber for the cheaper version of Amex Gold when it comes to earns.  

I got 4 new accounts leading up to Uber but, had 7/12 prior,  14/24.... THe INQ side though was much quieter 4/6, 8/24..  Sneaking in on INQ's seems to work because new accounts weren't really the issue.  I was instapproved for 11K and called to bump to 25K for S&G's and was granted the 25K w/ a 2 min call w/ no questions and a compliment on my spending / payment behavior.

JB isn't a flagship I would think falls under the x/24 guidance though like the Aviator line w/ the high SUB's.  

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays is sensitive asf and the only thing good about it is it pulls TU and no good banks pull TU where I live. 

And yep when it comes to 2p mode it is best to keep one account clean and switch hit every year or two.  

In my case I am taking all the hits this time around and keeping my p2's files clean and if I get a denial for a crucial app I will let him app.  Or in reality I will do the app and tell him "If xxx bank calls for verification be sure to answer it and say yes to everything!"  Smiley Very Happy  

Message 4 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Like most every other issuer they've been tightening up recently. 

Which CRA was pulled for each of your other 2 recent approvals? 

If there is a next time, I'd suggest that if you are denied again upon recon you ask if the UW could make suggestions on what you could do moving forward to improve your odds of success next time. 

They've actually denied 3 apps for me now. Once for a CLI on the $10k Uber in mid 2018. It's been sock-drawered since except for a charge or two. Twice for the JetBlue card. All due to the same reason.

My 2 recent approvals were Apple Card with no HP. (I'm actually surprised that account hasn't even shown up yet and it's been more than 2 statements since I got approved). Citi pulled EX for the Rewards+ card. TU has 8 INQs now. The last one was in Feb 2019, so 8 months since last INQ. I thought I could get by.

I did ask UW about the denial and I was basically told to stop getting new cards. That was it. If I wait till the middle of 2020, I'll be at 5/24 given that I don't get another card. I really wish JetBlue partnered with another lender 😁

Message 5 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, it's Barclay's and you know they're sensitive about new accounts and they need to be single digits leading up to an app.

The rumor is 6/24 and no more than a couple within 6 months of an app. Isolating them to TU only typically can get an auto approval if you've been relatively quiet on TU for INQ.  Not all of their cards are so restrictive which is probably why you got in w/ Uber.

I specifically targeted Uber for the cheaper version of Amex Gold when it comes to earns.  

I got 4 new accounts leading up to Uber but, had 7/12 prior,  14/24.... THe INQ side though was much quieter 4/6, 8/24..  Sneaking in on INQ's seems to work because new accounts weren't really the issue.  I was instapproved for 11K and called to bump to 25K for S&G's and was granted the 25K w/ a 2 min call w/ no questions and a compliment on my spending / payment behavior.

JB isn't a flagship I would think falls under the x/24 guidance though like the Aviator line w/ the high SUB's.  

Yup. Pretty familiar with Barclays UW by now. I don't mind burning HPs to take a chance for something I really want. The 11/24 accounts aren't that recent, so I thought I could get in. The bulk of those accounts are from early 2018 when I added 8 accounts in 2 months -- including Uber. So they're over 18 months old.

Well, since DW got approved for it today after I failed, I think I'm pretty much done with Barclays. I don't see any other card they have that I'd like to get, but you never know...

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wishing doesn't get you anywhere in this game.

Going to have to buckle down or move onto another target... those are the choices.

I like JB but, they're a bit limited compared to SWA.  Alaska is a good comfy seat as well though when you're heading NW.

Message 7 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclays is sensitive asf and the only thing good about it is it pulls TU and no good banks pull TU where I live. 

And yep when it comes to 2p mode it is best to keep one account clean and switch hit every year or two.  

In my case I am taking all the hits this time around and keeping my p2's files clean and if I get a denial for a crucial app I will let him app.  Or in reality I will do the app and tell him "If xxx bank calls for verification be sure to answer it and say yes to everything!"  Smiley Very Happy  

😂 Sounds familiar. My DW only has cards in her name mostly because I ask her to get them. She couldn't care less about the CC game except when I remind her that we get to travel quite a bit on points/CB alone. At this point, though, we've got all the cards we need.

Message 8 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wishing doesn't get you anywhere in this game.

Going to have to buckle down or move onto another target... those are the choices.

I like JB but, they're a bit limited compared to SWA.  Alaska is a good comfy seat as well though when you're heading NW.

SWA is actually more limited for me. Being in NY Metro, I have access to just about every airline, plenty of routes and lots of competition, which is great for pricing . We've never flown SWA -- it never seems to work for me/us.

Already have 2 separate Alaska cards for the companion tickets.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, hubs vary by region.  

Central locations SWA works well, anything to the east JB is a good option, West AK is a good option.  

AA  / United / Delta are a bunch of @%$@^ when it comes to flight routes though and you pay for that flexibility on old aircraft models.  

It boils down to continuity and ease of travel sometimes.  Depends on if you want to transfer from one plane to another or even a different carrier while in transit if it's a cost issue.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.