Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card denial

Applied for the Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card and was sent to review called the reconsidering line and said because of HPs but explained they were mostly auto and they were willing to look past that but because my other accounts are not at a year or more they couldn’t approve me at all....bummer I stay at a lot of there properties...

they pulled TU

682 score 

18% uti

0 baddies 

100% payments 

10 accounts 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card denial

image.png

Now you know to let everything age to at least a year.

Message 2 of 5
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Barclay's is odd in some lending practices. I got my first Barclay card 8 months post bankruptcy, which was an Apple Visa. When I applied for another card, it was declined for too many new accounts less than a year old.

Just wait another 6 months and try again!

Guyatthebeach

Message 3 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My experience has been:

2014 Sallie Rewards - approval with 4 accounts <1 yr (possibly 3 reporting)

2015 Arrival - approval with 6 accounts <1 yr (possibly 5 reporting)

2018 Aviator - approval with 1 card reporting <1 yr

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry to hear about your denial.  Barclays is definitely difficult.  Wish I applied for a card earlier in the game.  Seems like for young profiles and 'gamers' it's a lost cause.  I might not ever get in with them, like any new Chase card.  

1. which Wyndham card did you apply for?  

2. If you stay a lot at their properties and wanted the bonus points, allow me to make a suggestion - 

-First, you wanted the points or perks from Visa card to bump up your Wyndham stays, right?

-depending on the card you applied for you will get either 3x or 5x and get Gold or Platinum status, right?

-unless I'm wrong, there's not much else you can get from the card and here's why I say it that way

Since Wyndham points are worth approximately $0.01 each.  Get a different card that pays either 3% cashback on travel or maybe even a transferrable points card with at least 2x on travel.  And if you can swing it, get a Hilton Ascend, Aspire, Business, or AMEX Platinum card.  (And for intents and purposes, pretty much any card that gives status with another chain will work like World of Hyatt, IHG, Bonvoy (AMEX or 2 Chase)).  

Once you've received the latter card you will have at least tier 1 or tier 2 status with that other chain.  

(World of Hyatt -tier1, IHG - tier2, Chase Marriot - tier1, Amex Bonvoy - tier 2, Amex PLatinum tier 2/tier2, Hilton Ascend/Biz - tier 2, Hilton Aspire -tier3)

With your new status like Hilton Gold you can then ask Wyndham to provide you with a status match.  If you can get yourself matched to Wyndham Diamond then you will get that status for 90 days for free.  And Wyndham will give you a status-challenge.  If you complete the challenge, which apparently you will since you stay there a lot then you will have the status for the rest of the year and the following year.  

With Wyndham Diamond you will earn 20% more points per stay.  The Wyndham card gives Gold status, which you can get naturally with only 5 stays, you probably already have that status and would not gain anything.  

Using a 3% or 3x travel card will get you back at least the value of the Wyndham points you would have gotten with the Wyndham Visa.  

If you're trying to go the route with lowest AF you can probably achieve this plan by getting the BoA Cash Rewards (choose Travel 3% category, $0AF) and the Hilton Ascend ($95).  

Dont' get me wrong, if I thought I could get approved for a Barclays card I would eventually go for the Wyndham 75 card.  I'm actually sitting in the NYC TRYP right now ironically.  I travel a lot and got a status match to Diamond and it looks like if I move 85% of my travel to Wyndham for the next 74 days I will meet their challenge and keep the status.  I've been getting the 20% points bonus and room upgrades.  But I don't have a Wyndham card and I think I'm doing alright with the perks and the points.  So that's my 2¢.  

tonight I'm traveling for business so I used the BoA Business Cash card which is set for travel so I'm getting 3% and I upgraded to Samsung Experience room, even with checking in at 9pm.  

Good luck on your apps and travels

if you have any questions about the travel/points/cards, feel free to PM

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.