cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays "blacklist:...how to get off or get off sooner? possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays "blacklist:...how to get off or get off sooner? possible?

Hi,

So many years ago (maybe 13 or so) I filed a BK7 and as a part of that, one of the cards that was included in my discharge was a Barclays subsdary card. I can't remember the exact card name anymore, but I do recall it was a Barclay's card via one of their subsidaries.  The value of the discharge was around $1,500 or so...  Since then, I have not applied for (or received a email/postal mail offer) any of their cards - either Barclays direct or subsidary.  I have no present relationship with them.

Jump forward to today.. I decided to cold-app for the Uber Visa and was near-immediately auto-denied WITHOUT a HP being done (a blessing as I see it as it minimizes my "damage" and I didn't end up with a HP **and** no card to show for it).. The letter that showed up about a week later had verbiage to the effect of "an unsatisfactory prior relationship"  -- or wording close to that.. It didn't specify the namte of that relationship (but I has to be that old card that was a part of my BK7 because that's the only time I've been involved with Barclays) nor anything else..

Jump forward to today... some 13+ years later..  What, if anything can reasonably be done by me to either: a) get off the blacklist entirely, or b) get off the list sooner?  My attorney at the time cautioned me NOT to talk to a former creditor about, don't sign anything related to, not make any form of promise or don't pay any funds towards a debt that was included in my BK7 way back..  So... aside from anything like that, is there any hope to get off the list?

For those who take the postion--- YES... I DID burn Barclay's back in the day for $1,500... and YES.. If I were a lender and someone burned me via a BK7 for money, I'd probably not want to willingly do business with them again... So, for those that think that direction - I cede to that position as I think it has some merit..

But, while there are no Barclays cards that I can see  right here and now, that I'd call "must haves" it however, would be nice to have them as a future prospect...

Any ideas??

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays "blacklist:...how to get off or get off sooner? possible?

Unfortunately, not much you can do. I don't recall if even paying them back will help (and legally you don't have to due to BK).

Barclays has a VERY long memory. This is one, you may need to move on from. 

Message 2 of 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

If there is a black list worth being on, I would prefer it to be Barclays or HSBC. I know everyone loves Uber, but, well, I don't know how to say it... Uber is a failing business model. Consider it the Pony Express card.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The spiel about not talking to or dealing with any creditor included in the BK is sound advice while in the proceedings.  If you want back in you need to call them and come to an agreement to PIf or a portion of the debt.  Once that happens the doors will open up again.

Message 4 of 12
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I’ve seen a lot of DPs of ppl getting off the Amex, Chase, citi BL but NOT A SINGLE ONE from Barclays. I think their BL is forever!
It’s a good thing they don’t HP for it.
Best to move on from them. Trust me you’re not missing a whole lot!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 5 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@JR_TX wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of DPs of ppl getting off the Amex, Chase, citi BL but NOT A SINGLE ONE from Barclays. I think their BL is forever!
It’s a good thing they don’t HP for it.
Best to move on from them. Trust me you’re not missing a whole lot!

My understanding was they blacklist for life, but I did see someone post that they were able to get back in last year, but they had to fight tooth and nail. It was for the Uber card too.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice might not be the best one but I suggest to move on. There are better cards and better banks out there. Credit Unions, American Express, Discover, BOA credit cards.
I have Uber Visa card and I am not very happy with it. It is not growing, Barclay is pain in the butt to ask for CLI.
Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

They “blacklisted” me in 2014 when I apped Arrival, with still-somewhat-high balances. Denied after the HP. #shrug

Then I got other cards and better SUB and never really consider Barclays cards. They can have nice features, but nothing head and shoulders above the rest of the banks.

Congrats on your rebuild.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve never had credit with them but from things I’ve read, I don’t think I’d want the headache. As was posted above, I’ve also heard they’re a PITA for CLIs, and they seem very jealous and jumpy - don’t let your UTI creep up, don’t app for more credit when your Barclays app is even somewhat recent, or they’ll CLD or shut you down, from what people have said.

Dealing with that crap for the privilege of carrying cards that other lenders can compare well to, with far fewer headaches? Nah, you can keep ‘em. Not interested.
Message 9 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Sorry OP, but I'm going with the majority here.

I've got ONE Barclays account, and I'm not impressed with them either.

There are other, more attractive lenders out there and I believe that YOU would be better off to simply forget about Barclays.

They aren't missing you, I promise.  Smiley Wink

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.