Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of a Green Card?

tag
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

Benefits of a Green Card?

So I've been looking at the pre-approval page for Amex, and I seem it thinks I'm worthy of eith the Green, Gold or Platinum Amex card.

Now, AF being the biggest issue, the Green card seems a good compromise and its mor elikely to fall into a current spending pattern for me IF I were tro get the SUB. The AF isn't bad, $150 and some of the point structure is also nice, so its a card I would USE, if sparingly for those "Oh Heck!" kinda issues, and would be PIF within 90 days.

Question is, is it a good addition to my credit file and would it help my score any?

I do have a good amount of cards, 1 open and current PL from CU: A Green/Gold/Platinum type would be my first.

I'm aware that my EX score is in mid 650's and I do have current 60% UTI across my cards. OTOH I did get a small CL from both my Disco and C1 cards, and and a nice bump to $3500 on my Prime Store card...all in Dec 20.

Input as always is welcome!Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ccquest
Established Contributor

Re: Benefits of a Green Card?

It won't help your score in the short term at all, it's a charge card and won't affect utilization calculations, will bring down AAoA, and may add a HP as well (not sure if you have an Amex card already).

As far as PIF in 90 days, since it is a charge card always be prepared to pay within 30 or receive that phone call from them reminding you of your due payments. These aren't really meant as "safety net" cards.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@comebackkid15 It might be a better idea to work on bringing down your utilization before apping if you do decide to go that route.

I believe Amex tends to pull Experian.

Also, can you list your exact cards and limits if you don't mind?

Message 3 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@comebackkid15 It might be a better idea to work on bringing down your utilization before apping if you do decide to go that route.

I believe Amex tends to pull Experian.

Also, can you list your exact cards and limits if you don't mind?

Cards are 3 Amex $1k each 2 yrs, 1 each; Prime Store card $3.5k 2 yrs, Disco $2.3k 2yrs, QS1 $850 3rys, Platinum $400 5 yrs, and Opensky $300 3 yrs.

Yeah, util is going down. But i didn't really count yet until next round of payments reflected in report.

Message 4 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
It won't help your score in the short term at all, it's a charge card and won't affect utilization calculations, will bring down AAoA, and may add a HP as well (not sure if you have an Amex card already).

As far as PIF in 90 days, since it is a charge card always be prepared to pay within 30 or receive that phone call from them reminding you of your due payments. These aren't really meant as "safety net" cards.

Well this was pre qualified page from Amex account I already have, so I wasn't taking it 100% even then.

As for the 90 day bit..it was a just in case scenario, if I really had to use it, it would have to be pif by me in 30 days no matter what since I dont want that hanging over my head....nut again was interesting to see if it would be reasonable or even worth the app....

Message 5 of 13
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

The only time to have the 90 days is

In theory you can get Net 60 ish

Charge something Jan 23rd.... Statement Closed Feb 22nd.... you have until the statement closes again before its past due... March 21 (please pay by date is prob Mar 7th)

For >60 days... like 90 or more days... you would want to use the POT (Pay over time) feature in order not to be LATE

I guess you could stretch to 89 days if you timed it out right before showing a 30 day past due... but you would still be 'late' with amex internally.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@comebackkid15 Thanks! Kudos for keeping the Cap1 QS1 active for as long as you have. I would have tried to PC it or close it out by the second year.

Also search for the Cap1 upgrade link on here to PC your platinum (if the link doesn't work for you try calling in and asking if you have any upgrades).

Hmm your credit limits on your Amex cards has me worried that if you did app for the Green it might not be approved.

While Amex doesn't bucket their cards like Cap One (where its basically impossible to increase the credit limit), I've seen on the forum that $1000 limits are harder to grow. If you haven't, you should check out that 3X CLI Amex thread.

IMO, you don't need to add the card to improve your credit. I would try to grow my limits with Amex a bit more.

If it matches your spend and makes sense for you, go ahead and app for it (after getting your utilization down). Keep in mind this would not be for credit improvement purposes since a new account might temporarily lower your credit score.

This is all just my opinion though. Best of luck!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be cautious about applying for an Amex card with credit scores around 650 and utilization around 60%.  Fixing that utilization would probably bring your scores up to a more comfortable 700 or so.

Message 8 of 13
ccquest
Established Contributor

@comebackkid15 wrote:

Cards are 3 Amex $1k each 2 yrs

Have you tried asking for CLIs on these at all? You might be past the "pergatory" period for the $1k limits and could get one bumped to $3k, on one maybe.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ccquest wrote:

@comebackkid15 wrote:

Cards are 3 Amex $1k each 2 yrs

Have you tried asking for CLIs on these at all? You might be past the "pergatory" period for the $1k limits and could get one bumped to $3k, on one maybe.

The OP posted a separate thread below, but they have not provided feedback on the same [CLI] question 🤷‍♂️

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Combining-Amex-accounts-input/m-p/6218584

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.